Cabbage is one of those veggies that everybody knows … and nobody really appreciates. It may be one of the best health foods ever. Here are 10 reasons why you need to start eating more cabbage:
1. Ounce for ounce (or pound for pound), cabbage contains the least fat and the fewest calories of any vegetables. In Europe, cabbage is one of the main go-to foods for dieters.
2. Cooked cabbage can help lower cholesterol by binding some of the bile acids in the digestive tract.
3. Ever heard of sinigrin? Well, in the future you might. It’s a substance found in cabbage that is currently being studied at university medical centers for cancer prevention.
4. Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable and at last count (as far as I can tell), there are 475 active high-quality investigations looking into these super veggie as potential cancer fighters.
5. Cabbage is loaded with Vitamin C. One cup of cabbage provide an adult with over 40% of her daily requirement.
6. And it’s got even more Vitamin K—two-thirds the adult daily requirement for a cup.
7. Cabbage is a great natural source of fiber.
8. Cabbage can reduce your chronic pain, which is usually associated with chronic inflammation.Cabbage contains anthocyanin, a substance that reduces inflammation, which, in turn, can markedly reduce aches and pain.
9. Of course, cabbage contains phytonutrients and antioxidants, the wonder stuff found in power veggies. For maximum antioxidant punch, go with red rather than green cabbage.
10. Here’s a surprise. One hundred calories worth of cabbage contains more omega-3 oils than 100 calories worth of salmon! While salmon is a real power food, cabbage delivers these same healthy substances without the fat and calories.
Not only that, cabbage is a great source of calcium and is a versatile veggie that can be served raw (slaw, salad), steamed, or cooked. And while everyone says that it’s expensive to eat healthy, cabbage is also one of the most economical choices in the produce aisle.