I gave myself a moment to calm down. Then I made the strenuous hike upstairs.  I grasped the railing tightly to keep from collapsing. I felt so torn and confused.  I wanted my own life, and yet, I felt entrapped and manipulated by my roommate. Since the day we first met, I signed my death sentence.  I felt guilty for hanging out with other people.  I believed her lies that my family didn’t love me the way she did. I saw that she needed help, but she wasn’t willing to make any changes in her life.  The more I tried to help her, the sicker and weaker I became.

Within two years, I was like a walking skeleton. I had lost nearly 40 pounds, struggled with anger, anxiety, and feelings of loneliness. I felt like my parents, God and my church were against me. I was alone.

As I lay there, trapped in my roommates arms, fear gripped my heart.  I know Mom is going to call anytime now.


“I’m not going. Why should I?”  Why should I give up my life to attend some week-long seminar?  

4:30 a.m.…The phone rings….

“I don’t know, Mom. It won’t work. There’s no hope anyway.”  At least a decision hadn’t been made yet.  I still have time to get out of it.

I didn’t dare tell my mom that just the night before I had passed out due to lack of nutrition.

Throughout the evening, I tossed and turned, anticipating Mom’s call every few hours.  
Tick…tick…tick…6:30 a.m., Mom and Dad pull up to my house. There was no escape. As my roommate opened the door, I raced behind my door to hide.

“Don’t touch me.  Get your hands off of me.  I don’t want to go.” I thought for sure that my parents had come to take me away to a mental institution. 

Two hours later, I reluctantly stepped into the car convinced I was about to die. 

When we arrived at the church we walked in the door where we were greeted by friendly smiles and welcomes. I returned their friendly smiles with a scowl. The love caused me to cringe with shame. 

Throughout that week, I found a cozy corner in the church and sat there by myself.  I wasn’t interested in Jesus or people. I had reached a place of complete hopelessness.  I grudgingly attended the daily classes, but expected no positive results. By the fourth day, however, something started to shift.  It was a Thursday evening and everyone had gathered outside in preparation for the baptism.  I stood off to the side, trying to avoid my mom.  Then I felt this urge to step forward.  Should I go and be baptized?

“No, I’ve already been baptized.”  I took a few steps closer and then backed out. 
“I can’t do this.  Everyone will know.” I ignored the urge and stepped out of line. As I turned around, a lady clasp my hand in hers.

“Would you like to rededicate your life to Christ?”

I didn’t have time to think.  Before I knew what was happening I heard myself saying “I…I…Think so…”

“What are we waiting for?”

In jeans and t-shirt, I slowly walked to the pool and waited for my turn.  The urge to run was so strong. 

My turn came. I felt sick to my stomach. Nonetheless, I wobbled up the steps 
“It isn’t too late, you don’t have to do this” a voice whispered in my head.

I fought against fear and stepped into the tub focusing my eyes on the loving couple.  As the water washed over my face, I felt the Lord holding me tightly sending a smile across my face. Tears watered my eyes as the peace of God enveloped me.  I knew, for the first time, in over two years, that Jesus truly loved me and that He valued my life.
I came to this seminar with a death wish, but left with the chains broken off. I learned that there is nothing that I need to do to earn the Lord’s love.  He is willing to fight for me to the end and chase me until He earns my love and trust.

more from beliefnet and our partners
Close Ad