A Field Guide for Intrepid Christians
How do you identify an angel? What should you do if you're condemned to burn at the stake? A new guide has answers.
"The Christian Handbook," a tongue-in-cheek guide for the concerned Christian, answers questions you may have never thought to ask--and some you may have been too afraid to bring up. Click the image below to open the gallery and sample some the humorous tips and useful information you'll find inside.
Avoid Getting Burned at the Stake
• If you find yourself in a situation where being burned at the stake poses an imminent threat, try wearing flame-retardant material.
• If there is no hope of escape, request dry wood and plenty of dry kindling. Green wood burns slower, smokier, and at lower temperatures, causing a more painful death.
How to Identify a Possessed Person
• Not everyone who claims to be filled with the Holy Spirit actually is. The Bible warns against succumbing to "false prophets" and others looking to steal the Spirit's thunder.
• The Holy Spirit may enter your life or someone else's life at any time. Remain alert.
• Focus on your posture. Sit up straight with your feet planted firmly on the floor. Good posture will promote an alert bearing and assist in paying attention, so you'll get more out of worship.
• If all else fails, try pinching yourself. Dig your nails into the fleshy part of your arm or leg. Try not to cry out.
• Disregard most minor situations. The facts should indicate something of high order, such as one that is life threatening, one involving suffering, or involving an immediate threat.
• The miracle of life in Jesus Christ is a daily event and should be regarded as a free gift.
• Avoid confusing an angel with God. Angels cannot deliver salvation, grace, or forgiveness of sins.
• Hunches, intuition, and a "sixth sense" are not signs of an angelic message from God. If an angel brings a message, you'll know it.
• Laugh out loud. Laughter is abhorrent to the devil and should be indulged in frequently.
• Seek the company of other believers. Play games with children, attend worship, join a prayer team, host a dinner party, or locate a Bible study. Solitude can provide the devil an opportunity.
• Dress for survival. Wear only cool, breathable fabrics.
• Pray. Jesus survived on prayer in the desert for 40 days. Lifting or extending your arms in an open prayer position may help cool your body by dispersing excess heat.