- Robert Funk
- Founded the Jesus Seminar in 1985, editor of The Five Gospels: The Search for the Authentic Words of Jesus and author of Honest to Jesus: Jesus for a New Millennium.
- John Dominic Crossan
- Former Catholic priest and professor emeritus at DePaul University, author of The Historical Jesus: The Life of a Mediterranean Jewish Peasant and Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography.
- Marcus Borg
- Professor of religion and culture at Oregon State University, author of Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time: The Historical Jesus & the Heart of Contemporary Faith.
- John Shelby Spong
- Episcopal priest and bishop of Newark, N.J., author of Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism and Why Christianity Must Change or Die.
- N. T. Wright
- Canon theologian of Westminster Abbey, author of Jesus & the Victory of God and The Challenge of Jesus: Rediscovering Who Jesus Was and Is.
- John P. Meier
- Professor at the University of Notre Dame, author of A Marginal Jew, vol. 1, Rethinking the Historical Jesus, and vol. 2, Mentor, Message, Miracle.
- Raymond E. Brown
- Catholic biblical scholar who died in 1998, author of The Death of the Messiah and The Birth of the Messiah.
- Ben Witherington III
- Professor of New Testament at Asbury Theological Seminary, author of The Christology of Jesus, Jesus the Sage and The Jesus Quest.
- Luke Timothy Johnson
- Professor of New Testament at Emory University's Candler School of Theology, author of The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus and Truth of the Traditional Gospels.