Imagine being a healthy, active 12-year-old then suddenly being on a ventilator in a hospital, approaching death. This was the reality for Louisiana teen Juliet Daly, who had a heart condition triggered due to the novel coronavirus. “I died for two minutes,” Juliet, of Louisiana, told “Good Morning America”. “My stomach would not stop hurting,” […]
The Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation polled their community members about things that annoy people who use wheelchairs. This list is really helpful in understanding life from a different perspective and being more mindful about how we react around people with different abilities and also about respecting their space.
So here is the official list of the Top 10 Things that Annoy People who use Wheelchairs:
1. Able-bodied people parking in accessible parking spaces 37%
2. Accessible bathroom stalls being used by an able-bodied person 12%
3. Talking over my head as if I’m not here 9%
4. Continuing to insist on helping me after I’ve said no thanks 8.3%
5. Congratulating me for things like going to the grocery store like it’s worthy of an Olympic medal 6.1%
6. Strangers asking what happened to me 5.7%
7. Not inviting me to an event because you are protecting me from some frustration (let me figure it out) 5.3%
8. Patting me on my head. Don’t. 5.0%
9. Holding on to the back of my chair so I can’t move 4.4%
10. Speaking slowly to me because I’m in a wheelchair 3.5%
Rob Gerth, Director of Online Communications for the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation is trying to “raise awareness and help start a conversation” that will inspire all of us to always behave in a compassionate and respectful way. And to cut out any bad behavior, now that you know what it is.
Join in the conversation in Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Communty