As a public school child in the 70’s, my Valentine’s Day often ended in tears. I remember digging into my optimistically large brown paper bag in first grade to find only three envelopes, even though my mother had insisted I fill out mass-produced cards for every child in my class. “No one likes me!” I […]
Although we are devout (dare I say frum?) home-shulers, I can’t imagine not being a member of our local synagogue. So today – let’s hear it for the shul!
Homeshuler’s Top 10 Reasons to Join a Shul
10. Your mother wants you to. (Isn’t that a good enough reason?)
9. A great place to meet other Jewish families to home-shul with.
8. Kiddush. There really is such a thing as a free lunch.
7. Someday you, or someone you love, may want to be buried in their cemetery (sorry, but it’s true.)
5. Your rabbi is probably a really nice man/woman. (Does that count as a reason?)
4. You might actually learn something. It’s hard to home-shul without a little knowledge.
3. What, you’re not going to have a bar/bat-mitzvah someday?
2. See # 10.
And the number one reason:
1. It’s not going to get any better without you.
Got any more? (And did you catch my 2 references to 80’s music?)