Thank you for visiting Belief Beat. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Beliefnet News Good News Happy Reading!
Thanksgiving is supposed to remind us to be thankful for we have received, but as with most holidays, commercialization can make it hard to remember its original spirit. This sentiment, plus my fear of Black Friday frenzies and apathy towards football, explains why my favorite scene in “The Blind Side” is when Leigh Anne Tuohy (played by Sandra Bullock) makes the family stop watching the game and join their grateful houseguest at the dining table for a real Thanksgiving meal.
Some faith-related Thanksgiving news to read while reheating your leftovers:
- —My Take: On Thanksgiving, Puritans gave thanks for sex and booze (CNN’s Belief Blog)
- —A Thanksgiving sermon (Faith Matters)
- —Sunday Mass is Thanksgiving meal with Christ, says Cardinal O’Malley (Catholic News Agency)
- —Turkey thanks with a little religion (GetReligion)
- —Lone soldiers mark Thanksgiving in Israel (JTA)
- —American Catholics celebrate Thanksgiving in Rome (CNA)
What’s the best way to balance Thanksgiving gratitude with the temptations of gluttony and greed? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.