Thank you for visiting Belief Beat. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Beliefnet News Good News Happy Reading!
Catholic World Youth Day is underway, with Pope Benedict and ministering to hundreds of thousands of teens and young adults who have converged on Madrid, Spain for August 15-21 celebration. (This event takes place every three years, visiting a different country each time.)
On top of the thorough WYD 2011 coverage offered by Catholic outlets like Catholic News Agency, National Catholic Reporter, and Whispers in the Loggia, this event has many interesting angles (and missed opportunities and mistakes, as GetReligion notes) for mainstream audiences. Check out this range of stories:
- Thousands rally, clash with police in Spain over Pope Benedict’s visit (Reuters)
- Church extends authority to absolve sin of abortion for papal visit (CNN)
- Condom activists push debate at Catholic World Youth Day (Religion News Service)
- Pope starts Spain visit with call for economic ethics (Reuters)
- Pope reaches out to youths in Spain (CNN)
What do you think? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.