It’s not exactly the basil your mom used in her Sunday sauce and baked ziti. Holy basil has been used for centuries to help restore, rejuvenate, and detoxify the body. Originally from India, many in the Hindu culture use the herb to worship Vishnu. They call it Tulsi, meaning the ‘incomparable one.” For the body, holy basil has many benefits.
It can help with diabetes, joint pain, help with inflammation, and fight bacteria, stress and anxiety. Here is a look at holy basil and the benefits it has for you today. As with any herb check with your doctor to make sure it is safe to try holy basil.
1. Acting like as cleanser holy basil can clean the body, and be applied to infections on the skin, can alleviate itching and the oils help acne breakouts. It has anti-carcinogenic, and has anti-bacterial benefits.
2. If you have diabetes the herb can lower blood sugar naturally along with eating right. “Compared to a control group, the group administered holy basil experienced some amazing results. Not only did fasting glucose fall by 21 mm/dl, post-meal glucose fell by 15.8 mm/dl, which represented reductions of 17.6 percent and 7.3 percent, respectively. Fascinatingly, cholesterol levels were decreased during the treatment as well,” Dr. Axe reported.
3. Holy basil can heal topical wounds. It contains essential oils and vitamins A and C.
4. Holy basil can lower cholesterol in the blood.
5. Healthline reported it can be good for the tummy. “Stress can do a number on your stomach. It can contribute to acid reflux and ulcers. But holy basil has anti-ulcer properties. Not only does it reduce stomach acid, it increases the production of protective mucus.”
6. Holy basil can boost the immune system with its anti-inflammatory properties. Dr. Axe offered will “protect against fever, pain, stress and protect vital organs like the liver. Consequently, people who regularly consume tulsi are less likely to be immune-compromised and are less susceptible to developing cancer cells.”
7. It helps with colds, coughs, and sore throats. It also helps with respiratory infections.
8. The herb is good for gums and issues with teeth. It can heal the sore gums, and tooth pain. Use can use the oils in toothpaste.
9. The herb can help get rid of kidney stones.
Explore nature today and embrace a better way to get yourself healthy. "Herbs and other natural remedies can be as effective as traditional treatments, often without the same negative side effects," Prevention reported in an interview with Continuum Center for Health and Healing at Beth Israel Medical Center's Roberta Lee, MD.
Learn more on Basil.