One of the reasons you decided to run for president was to educate people about Mormonism.
Not so much to educate, but to knock down some of the barriers and misconceptions. Some of the Christian faith believe very sincerely that Mormons are not Christians. Well, Orrin Hatch is a fervent believer in Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice and that He died for all of us. Mormons are very misunderstood.
When you were running did you encounter more prejudice than you were expecting?
From time to time. Immediately after I announced, I was told that 18 percent wouldn’t vote for a Mormon under any circumstances. I answered by saying that leaves 82 percent.
You were far out ahead in opposing abortion early in your career, and yet you didn't get support from some Christians. Do you think your religion was the reason?
I hope not. But there’s no question that with some people it was. I think the real reason is I’m not a radical on the issue. I don’t center everything on that particular issue.
Ephesians 2.8-10 is one of my favorites. James 1, verses 5 and 6. Beautiful set of scripture. It gives me a great faith, if we don’t waiver, and we have faith, God will help us. I’ve been through a lot of travails but He’s always pulled me through.
Oh, and there’s the Moroni--last book, chapter 10, verses. 4-5 ["And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."].
That’s an amazing set of scriptures because that’s the way millions have come into the Mormon church--asking God in the name of Christ if it’s true and having the feeling it is and that this is a new witness for Christ in America.
You went into public life in part because of your sense that there was moral decline. Do you think things are better or worse than when you came in?
In some respects they’re better, in some worse. Kids—they're the absolute best we’ve seen, and the absolute worst. Hardly anything in between.
The temptations for kids today are so overwhelming compared to what they were for us. I remember when Howard Hughes did "The Outlaw" with Jane Russell. It was just a scandal! That would be a children’s matinee now.
Sex in the City?
Yeah. It was awful! Kids are faced with drugs, vice, crime and pornography and bad movies and bad music; it’s amazing any of them come through. We have just about every vice in this country right up front and in our face all the time.
You recommended President Bush to pardon Bill Clinton. Did your faith have anything to do with that?
I believe in repentance. I believe we can overcome sin. The idea is to reduce the sinning as much as we can so we don’t have to repent so much. Clinton left a lot to be desired, morally, spiritually, and politically, but he’s one of God’s children. I care for him. I do to this day--not because he changed a lot, but because we as Christians should never give up on anybody.
Do you think Clinton recognizes that what he did was wrong?
I can’t judge him and won't judge him. But my personal belief is that he hasn’t changed a whole lot. He never thought he did anything wrong and said that publicly. You’ve got to recognize what you did was wrong. Then again, who am I to criticize him? I have to work out my salvation with fear and trembling. I’m not going to judge him. I hope he does right and I hope he is honorable to Senator Clinton, his wife.
I've been there for him, too. We're like fighting brothers. We fight each other most of the time. But there's a mutual respect. He's a leading liberal and there's nothing going to change that and politically he's brutal. For political advantage, he'd do almost anything. But there's a very good side to him I happen to love. He was good to his mother, to his brothers and sisters. He's been very good to his children. And deep down when you can get him out of the partisan mode, we can get a lot done.