From, "To Market, To Market...A Collection of Kentucky Recipes" published in cooperation with your Daily InBox newsletter.
- 4 cups fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces (or 2 cans, 16 ounces each)
- 3 to 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 large whole pimientos, chopped (or 2-ounce jar)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded American cheese
1. Cook beans, uncovered, in boiling salted water for 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat, cover and cook 20 to 30 minutes more. Drain and set aside. (If using canned beans, just drain; do not cook.)
2. Fry bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and crumble.
3. Saute onion in bacon drippings until tender.
4. Combine everything except cheese, tossing gently. Spoon into greased 2-quart casserole dish.
5. Sprinkle with cheese.
6. Bake until cheese is slightly browned.
Temperature: 350 degrees
Time: 15 to 20 minutes