American Muslims and Arab-Americans condemn in the strongest terms recentattacks by Israeli armed forces on civilian demonstrations in the OccupiedTerritories.
Scores of civilians, including children, have been killed and more than athousand (50% children) have been wounded by Israeli brutal force, whichenjoys the blind support of our government.
The killings occurred following an intentionally provocative tour of Al-HaramAl-Sharif ("Noble Sanctuary") in Jerusalem by Israeli right-wing extremistAriel Sharon, a man of bloody history responsible for the massacre ofPalestinians in the Sabra and Shatilla refugee camps in Beirut.
We ask that the U.S. government:
1) Demand that Israeli forces withdraw from Palestinian cities and holy sites.
2) Stop turning a blind eye to Israeli aggression as well as violations ofhuman rights and religious freedom.
3) Cut off all foreign aid to Israel so that American taxpayers are notforced to be party to such immoral behavior.
4) Call for an international tribunal to investigate Israeli actions.
5) Meet with American Muslim and Arab-American leaders to discuss ways tomitigate the suffering of Palestinian civilians.
Only by taking these actions can the American government show that it isliving up to the American ideals of justice and decency.
We also ask that all presidential candidates issue statements condemning theIsraeli action against civilian demonstrators, putting the blame squarely onthe irresponsible behavior of Ariel Sharon.