Year of Sundays

Year of Sundays

Help us pick a peck of pickled Pentecostals!

posted by Amanda P. Westmont

I am hard at work on a schedule for our year of Sundays, but it’s a work-in-progress. We have already decided to hit a Pentecostal Church this Sunday, but I can’t decide WHICH ONE! Help me choose! Joel is no help at all.

Here are the options:

1. Emmanuel - “When God’s Spirit indwells a people who are worshipping Christ with their hearts and lives, God’s power will show up. Healing can happen today. Deliverance can happen today.”

2. New Direction Community Church – Their purpose is “winning souls for Jesus through unconditional love;  bringing the believer to Christ-like maturity through the word of God.  Establishing them as Holy Ghost-filled leaders;  and equipping them for ministry within the home, church and world mission.”

3. The Portland Pentecostals – Where, “We testify publicly, We anoint with oil for divine healing and We allow the operation of the spiritual gifts.”

4. Trinity Full Gospel Pentecostal Church – They promise to “Bring healing to the brokenhearted and deliverance to the oppressed, true worship that is neither shallow or restrained, but genuine.”

Leave a comment telling us where to go and we’ll head to the church of your choice!

While you’re at it, if you have any suggestions for where we should go on Mother’s Day, I’m all ears.

Joel Gunz

posted May 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Interesting recommendation – we might just do that!

Auni

posted May 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I think you should go to the Old Apostolic Church in Brush Prairie on Mother’s Day. The Moms there have more kids then anyone.

Jeff

posted May 1, 2011 at 7:43 pm

You guys should check out Outward Church in Salem, Ore. They’re part of the Acts 29 Network, which is overseen by “the” Mark Driscoll–who thinks women should submit submit submit to their husbands and that Jesus is best described as a UFC cage fighter. They’re young, they’re hip, and they’re conservative Calvinists.

Lisa

posted April 30, 2011 at 7:33 pm

#3 sounds the most promising.

Valerie

posted April 30, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Number 2….I like their description the best…mostly cuz I can’t see how they can do all that in one service.

Yahtzee

posted April 30, 2011 at 7:58 am

#3

Definitely, anointing with oil makes me hope they are the full-on, rabid, on the floor-convulsing epileptic fish variety.

Just right for shits and giggles.

Y

Rebekah

posted April 30, 2011 at 12:15 am

Hey guys –
I would encourage #1 or #3 just on the brief descriptions you provided, however, I wanted to caution/inform you that (if you didn’t know already) that Pentecostal churches include the family of Four Square (I think Beaverton was the Four Square church you visited, if I remember correctly). Anyhow, I hope that you find a unique experience wherever you go, and I’m looking forward to reading about it!

Katherine Gunn

posted April 30, 2011 at 12:15 am

Hey Amanda. I’ve been following and enjoying the blog since you started.

The Pentecostals hits close to home for me (grew up in it) so I would LOVE to hear you’re impression of an Assemblies of God – so if any of the above are AofG, that’d be my pick :-) . . . . although. . . . for a future visit, an old fashioned Pentecostal Holiness visit might be fun.

As to where to go next, find yourselves a good old fashioned Southern Baptist church. Love to hear your impressions on that one, too.

Jules

posted April 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Just from their websites-I’d lean toward Emmanuel or Trinity. Although for entertainment value-my bet is that the Portland Pentecostals would give you the best fodder. I don’t know why really-just my quick first impression.

jen zug

posted April 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Oh LET ME TELL YOU about Pentecostals… over drinks.

Based on those statements alone, #1 and #3 will provide the most material for your review.

I’ve NEVER experienced unconditional love from a pentecostal, so #2 is out.

#4 provides good marketing, because that actually sounds very appealing!

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting A Year of Sundays page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Religion 101 Fellowship of Saints and Sinners Happy Reading!!!

posted 8:38:43am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

Gnock Gnock Gnocking on the Gnostics' Door
When Amanda and I started our church tour, I'd had it up to here with vanilla religion. I wanted to take a walk on the wild side (read: nothing Christian), but it turns out that, for a city that prides itself on "keeping weird," Portland doesn't have much to offer in that regard. And then I heard

posted 1:39:14am Feb. 14, 2012 | read full post »

Home PDX: A Church By Any Other Name
Yesterday, we went downtown to check out Home PDX. If you want to make head honcho Bruce Arnold, squirm, call their community a church.  The word has so many negative connotations, they'd just as soon not use it. Then again, the PDX Homeys have a different word for everything. Take the word "hom

posted 6:54:51pm Feb. 06, 2012 | read full post »

Full-On Faith
It's been almost a year since the inspiration for this blog began with a trip to the First A.M.E. Zion Church in North Portland. It was a predominantly black church in a predominantly black neighborhood and what I wrote about it ended up being our most controversial post to date. To this day, it's a

posted 7:25:08pm Jan. 26, 2012 | read full post »

Happy Anniversary from Emmanuel Temple Church
One year ago, Amanda and I embarked on our Year of Sundays tour of the Portland church scene. To celebrate, we decided to head back to my roots in North Portland and visit a full gospel church, just like we did in our first week of blogging. That's how we landed at Emmanuel Temple Church. Can I have

posted 12:40:57am Jan. 23, 2012 | read full post »