Virtual Talmud

Virtual Talmud

Brief Reflection on Thursday’s Tragedy in Jerusalem

I share with the Beliefnet community a message I sent to my congregation last night:
The escalating violence in Israel has not escaped anybody’s notice over the past week, beginning with the killing of a Sderot resident by a Hamas-launched rocket, and continuing with responses and counter-responses that have caused great suffering and loss of life on all sides. Earlier today, a Palestinian resident of Jerusalem opened fire in a famous yeshivah in Jerusalem, murdering eight and wounding nine more. As human beings, our heart breaks for the loss of innocent life on both sides of the conflict. As Jews, our heart breaks for the Land of Israel and the violence that threatens to overwhelm it. We mourn with the victims and add our prayers that peace will soon come to the land of Israel and all who live there.

Annapurna Moffatt

posted March 7, 2008 at 12:06 pm

“May God spread out a shelter of peace over us, over all Israel, over all who dwell on earth, and over Jerusalem.”
Amen.

Jethro

posted March 7, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Mourning is appropriate, but prayers for peace never yield peace. May we all be strengthened in our resolve to fight for justice, to fight for fair reporting on the Middle East, and for continued American governmental support for Israel. May our brothers and sisters in Israel know that American Jews support her in her battle to be free of terrorism.

Tzvi

posted March 7, 2008 at 5:49 pm

I have one thing to say :”Kahane was right!”

klauden

posted March 8, 2008 at 3:49 pm

A short note to Jethro and Tzvi, We can understand your outrage and your desire for justice. As to the later, only God is capable of that.
I just wanted to say that terror begets more terror. It is a dog chasing its own tail. There must be other means to a just resolution.
Humans been searching for ‘it’ for several thousand yrs and it is still illusive. Can we not make our finitely brief stay on Earth a
Peaceful one?
klauden-

Dave

posted March 9, 2008 at 11:05 am

Can’t you quote Deut 30:7, or similar? No I suppose not.

Chaya L.

posted March 9, 2008 at 1:24 pm

How can anyone believe that our enemies will ever agree to any peace? Israel is surrounded by nations that want nothing more than to see Israel wiped off the map. How can anyone seriously believe that more “peace talks” will end the terror? More land concessions? Hasn’t worked yet. It won’t end until Israel is no more! Wake up!!!

jon01

posted March 9, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Whenever I hear talks of “Peace” I am reminded of the Convenant of Peace granted in Torah and how it was obtained. I also think of how the logical extention of pacifist “Peace” is death, while life is a struggle. Only those who are willing to engage in struggle have potential to live. Indeed, is it not a mitzvah to engage in this struggle? I see no indication from the “tree of life to those who take hold of it” as being any sort of Pacifist Manifesto.
l’chaim

Sneakz

posted March 9, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Our reaction when we invade in order to stop attacks on civilians? Great wringing of hands and much self-recrimination.
Their reaction when they murder 8 teenagers studying the holy Torah?
Handing out candy and cheering.
We’re supposed to be making peace with these people?

Felecia

posted March 13, 2008 at 8:35 pm

How do you make peace with people who blow themselves up? Israel is surrounded by nations who want to see the end of a Jewish state at all costs. What peace?