Virtual Talmud

Virtual Talmud

Merry Christmas, Mike Huckabee

Much ado is being made out of Mike Huckabee’s, all I want to do is wish you “a Merry Christmas” TV advertisement. Huckabee’s ad seems sincere. He is an ordained minister, a devout Christian, and someone who seems to be as honest as any politician. As a Jew, I really don’t find anything all that shocking or disturbing about the ad. If Mike wants to wish me a “Merry Christmas” that’s fine–it makes very little difference in my life. Come to think of it, God knows how many Jews are walking around New York right now (two weeks after Hanukkah) wishing every person they bump into “happy holidays” and “Merry Christmas.” Just the other day one of my friends–and a fellow member of the tribe–waved across the street mouthing, “happy holidays.” I smiled and waved back. Suffice it to say she was not referring to Passover.

I can’t help but think that those such as Huckabee, who seek out every opportunity to show off their Christian bonafides by inserting Christmas into every other sentence, have emptied Christmas of any unique religious value. What does Christmas mean when at least 10 Jews I know this year alone went to a Christmas party. None of them would ever dare think of becoming Christian. For them it’s, “Hey, why not, it’s just Christmas.” In their eyes Christmas does not mean or signify all that much. The more popular Christmas becomes the more secular the holiday is perceived. In America, “Merry Christmas” means nothing more than the banal “hey wuz up” or “see u later”–just with a little snow on top. So Mike, I know I’m not the first, but let me be one of the many Jews to wish you, too, a very Merry Christmas.

ruvain

posted December 29, 2007 at 12:04 pm

Good way to miss the issue. The Huckabee add had a white cross in the background which subliminally said, “Vote for Huckabee ‘cuz he’s the true Christian.” This time it wasn’t just anti-Semitic; it was anti-Mormon. The add showed that Huckabee is fundamentally a religious bigot.
Huckabee then followed up this prejudice BS by turning the Bhutto assissination into another display of bigotry — the racist anti-immigrant rant about the 660 Pakistanis — of course he had almost all his facts wrong, but with G-d’ white cross blazing in the backgrounds annointing you as the bearer of the one True Faith, who cares if your facts are correct.

Grandma Carol

posted December 29, 2007 at 3:38 pm

I cant believe that people are so into criticizing comments about Christmas. What we need to concentrate on are the real issues. No matter what religion or faith the future president is he will be our president. The issues that we should be concentrating on are the energy crisis, the Fascist Islams (who want all women to wear Burkas) alternate fuel sources, the immigration problem, securing our borders and getting Congress on the right track to spend money wisely. Now if the religious comments are still important to you then maybe you need to listen to the radio talk show hosts like Rush and Sean. They will let you know how important these issues are. Thanks for listening and Happy Hannukah and Merry Christmans to all. Have a Healthy New Year too.

Marie Zakaluk

posted December 29, 2007 at 6:51 pm

I appreciate your cordiality toward Huckabee and Christians. THANKS!
Having grown up in Brooklyn, NY I was fortunate to have Jewish friends in grade school and later many Jewish girls at Hunter College High School. Years ago, I taught English at Highland Park High School, at that time more than 70% Jewish students. I feel most fortunate to have had these experiences. Of course, visiting Israel in 2002 helped me understand not only where Jesus walked and grew up but also more of political unrest (too gentle a word) and more of Judaism. Additionally, my son is employed at the Holy Land Experience in Orlando, FL, Ironically, today, I was able to eject a CD from my broken car CD player. It was one that I purchased in Israel, made in Israel and almost irreplaceable and of special sentiment to me. It was in good condition despite the tools I used to eject the six CD’s. If you pray, perhaps tomorrow the other five will eject. At any rate,
may your 2008 be filled with JOY, PEACE, PROSPERITY enrobed with LOVE.
One of my goals for 2008 is JERUSALEM in MAY with Aglow International.
Shalom,
Marie Zakaluk

Barbara Bruner

posted December 30, 2007 at 1:14 am

Hi
I to am Jewish and most of my friends send me cards for a Merry Christmas I don’t get angry that is just a way to say that they are thinking of you around the holidays.. I wish everyone a Happy Holiday and a Very prosperous NEW YEAR
Barbara

Bigbandss

posted December 30, 2007 at 11:51 am

I completely agree with Grandma Carol.

Barbara

posted December 31, 2007 at 10:30 am

I find it uplifting, not bothersome, that my friends, colleagues and relatives of various Christian denominations (Catholic, Episcopalian and others) wish me a merry Christmas: these are people who put their ethics and beliefs to work by being as compassionate, kind and generous as they can, and respecting my beliefs–I’m Jewish–and those of other people of different faiths and backgrounds. Those who think their beliefs are the only good ones, however, bother me immensely, especially if they’re running for office!

Donald browning

posted December 31, 2007 at 12:05 pm

Christmas to me is just another holiday made by tradition of men. If anyone would just open the Bible and study when Moses was giving the commanment to remember the Feasts of the Lord. Therefore the fact is Jesus was not born December. Acording the Jewish History Jesus was born 4 BC on Sept 29th which is know as Feast of Tabernacle.The calander which match with the Jewish Calender is Tisbi. I’m not a jew but I love ‘em and Pray for them every chance I get. I have had wonderful freindship with the people live out in Calif. God Bless you all.
Hardly anybody know Huckabee and I sure don’t.

miss publico

posted January 1, 2008 at 12:00 am

Jesus is Jewish and will always be. He has never renounced His Jewish heritage. All Jesus did was teach what true Judaism is about and what it’s focus should always be: to love God with all your soul,heart and strength and love your neighbor as you love yourself. All the other commandments hinges on these two. Christians need to get this. Jesus Jewish not Christian and will always be.The Messiah or Christ is a Jew.

James L. Mandeville

posted January 1, 2008 at 4:21 pm

As a committed Christian, I have always been careful around those I know who happen to be of Jewish national origin; I would be certain to wish them anything but, “Merry Christmas,” for fear that they would instinctively take offense at the mention of God’s Son and the Savior of the world.
After reading this article/post on Former Arkansas Mike Huckabee (R), i realize that this self-imposed hypersensitivity of mine is complete foolishness!
Most every Jewish person that I know wouldn’t be offended by Christ’s name being mentioned; in fact, those I hang out with are more apt to be insulted by my treating them with “kid gloves,” as if they couldn’t possibly handle such a perceived bout with anti-semitic bigotry!
So I may have to start watching what I do not say!
May God’s only Son, Jesus Christ, of Nazareth, bless us all, and may He give us all the happiest of new years in 2008!!!!!

Cheryle

posted January 1, 2008 at 4:50 pm

I have decided, over much torchured thought, German guilt (& pride), and lose of any faith, that I am a CatJewDaLim. People think I’m crazy, but I am trying my best to take & be the best of multiple religions/philosophies. So I am a Catholic; I am a Jew; I am a Buddhist; and I am a Muslim. My religious “name designation” may become longer as my search for TRUE FAITH goes on. My purpose is to research as many religions as I can & try to practice & become the best of each. In other words – all religions that are compassionate, loving, giving, humanitarian, and do not think of “self” are true religions. But more importantly to me, all become one (one tribe) – the One religion of all that is good.
Thank you for posting this.
From: CathJewDALim

Donny

posted January 2, 2008 at 7:10 am

To the Jew first. And then to the Gentile. As it is written. It’s most important that Ha Shem (G-d) tabernacled with us with “The Name” of Yeshua (Jesus). “Christmas” is only a sort of remembrance of this, so it shouldn’t matter who says what during December. “Christians” should be celebrating Sukkot (during which Jesus was born) and Passover (when Jesus gave His life for all), as that is what Yeshua (Jesus) not only did, but is. It doesn’t matter who says “Merry Christmas” or what they do with their personal religion. What matters is what God has done for us already. Christians know that it isn’t what they say or do during the winter, it is what God does. Two words are never going to effect that. Happy New Years Rabbi Stern!!! To the Jew first, then to the gentile. As it is written.

laura

posted January 2, 2008 at 1:30 pm

I have a difficult time understanding why anyone would insist on the public’s acceptance of this religious holiday except by way of blatant disregard for others not like them. It is secular, for the most part, but the pagan and later “Christian” influence is glaring. (In quotes because I am a Christian who is a non-celebrant of this and other organized Christian holidays and they feel entirely anti-Christian to me.) Just the coupling of the words, “Christ” and “mass” is saddening.
Certainly, true Christians, like the Jewish People have always been separate from mainstream thought and practice. This forcing of religion from the state is certainly nothing new…Judas Maccabaeus and many others, taught us, “It’s not ok.” And though it is the world in which we live, I’ll continue to resist the temptation to fall in step.

Anonymous

posted January 2, 2008 at 11:25 pm

tough get a grip on life & call your mommie if the big bad religious bullies wish you a happy holiday. There are worse things to worry about in life.

laura

posted January 3, 2008 at 12:09 pm

No Name:
Actually, it is not others wishing a happy holiday that is an issue. As I said, we are used to being separate. It is the mixture with state affairs and the idea of thinking one’s participation, no matter how minimal, is insignificant that I meant to respectfully address.