Via Media

Via Media

Emily Rose

posted by awelborn

From the WSJ, "How Sony courted Christians"

Studio executives figured that horror movie-loving teens would flock to the picture, which stars Tom Wilkinson as the priest who is put on trial for allegedly causing the girl’s death and Laura Linney as the spiritually conflicted lawyer who defends him. But Screen Gems worked hard to attract a spiritually-oriented audience as well. It conducted an online poll asking participants if they believed in demonic possession (66% did) and issued a promotional mini-newspaper that reprinted articles from recent years about the Vatican’s views on Satanism and incidences of real-life exorcisms.

"We tried to get people thinking about the fact that this exists in the world," says Valerie Van Galder, who handled the marketing of the film. "We tried to make exorcisms newsworthy."

The studio also courted the Christian media with screenings and interviews with director Scott Derrickson, pointing out that he is a churchgoing Christian.

Actually, if the article is accurate, that’s not a whole heck of a lot of "courting," but simply what the professionals call "marketing." Holding screenings for critics? Awesome.

A review wrap-up from Christianity Today.

Jason

posted September 15, 2005 at 11:58 pm

The film “is a well-crafted and intelligent movie that aspires to engage heads and not just spin them,” wrote the Catholic News Service in a dig on “The Exorcist,” which featured a possessed girl’s head spinning around. “Emily Rose,” by contrast, “tells a story of faith and compassion,” read a review on “Plugged In,” the cultural guide published by the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family.
I don’t think Derrickson’s film is more “intelligent” than The Exorcist. Just the opposite; it doesn’t live up, in my opinion. The Exorcist was content to present its story. Skepticism was accounted for in the person of Reagan’s mother. It wasn’t a self-conscious questioning of the material.
I suppose Emily Rose is more of a practical exploration of exorcism. But The Exorcist definitely packs a greater spiritual punch. You walk away from the Exorcist with a vivid encounter with evil. You can disregard it if you want. But you can’t forget it. I didn’t get the same from Emily Rose. Sure it leaves both doors open. But why is that necessarily a good thing, particularly from a Catholic perspective?

Jenn

posted September 16, 2005 at 12:35 am

Probably not, if it is intending to be told from the Catholic perspective, but having seen the movie I don’t think that it is being told from that perspective. We are watching events play out through the point of view of the agnostic lawyer. Keeping POV in mind, I think the film works pretty well. There’s really not much point in preaching to the choir.

John Farrell

posted September 16, 2005 at 9:49 am

Well, at least for the first weekend, it’s cleaning up at the B.O. Here’s hoping it’s next weekend is good.

Jason

posted September 16, 2005 at 9:55 am

Jenn,
True, but I think the film definitely errs to the side of the Church. The opening scene, for example, sets the “creepy” atmosphere intended to scare you into belief.
“The Exorcist” was also told from the POV of a skeptic (Reagan’s mother). But, like I said, the difference is that Friedkin doesn’t present a self-conscious “search” for the truth. He clearly defines the bent of the story, and doesn’t eliminate other perspectives. Emily Rose has a spiritual bent, but it’s too afraid to claim it, IMO. It’s ambiguous for the sake of ambiguity.

Jenn

posted September 16, 2005 at 10:09 am

Jason, I don’t disagree at all that The Exorcist is a much better movie on many levels.

c matt

posted September 16, 2005 at 11:51 am

Too bad. I had such high hopes. Maybe I’ll just wait for the DVD.

thomas tucker

posted September 16, 2005 at 2:14 pm

I found it to be a pretty intense and thought provoking movie.

Bill

posted September 16, 2005 at 2:59 pm

It was a nice idea, but a terrible movie. Why couldn’t the priest simply have publicized the girl’s letter without going to trial? The choice to tell the story through flashbacks killed all the suspense and the lawyering bits were obviously written by a non-lawyer. Other than Laura Linney, all the characters were like cardboard cutouts (and Linney wasn’t much better.) If you haven’t seen it, save your money and buy the Exorcist DVD.

Yohana

posted September 18, 2005 at 4:46 pm

I thought the movie was great i truly do believe in good and evil and it was hard to know that she sufferedfor such a long time this way so that people would believe in what she went through.

Yohana

posted September 18, 2005 at 4:47 pm

I thought the movie was great i truly do believe in good and evil and it was hard to know that she suffered for such a long time this way so that people would believe in what she went through.

anel

posted September 29, 2005 at 2:04 pm

well I say the movie, and honestly it was great! yes maybe many disagree because they were expecting something more violent, but you guys trust me when i say this that is how it really happens. yes there is many levels of possesions but they are not as graphic as you may think. how do i know this well i have gone through one myself… i don’t quite remember everything only sometimes when a dream but its a scary thing and there doesn’t have to be spinning heads to be a terrible experience its no laughing matter.

Kenzie

posted October 4, 2005 at 5:19 pm

I would like to know if the movie “The Exorcism of Emily Rose” is actually based on a true story and if it is I would love to request some information on that. If there is any website, or books, or anything that pertains to the real story ( if there is in fact one) i would appreciate that informnation. Please reply to Kizzy@bwave.com
thanks

Linda

posted October 6, 2005 at 2:26 pm

I actually found the movie to be quite intriguing. I heard really bad comments and reviews from all my friends that saw it. So… I wasn’t expecting much. (Probably why I liked it so much) but… even though it wasn’t as gory as The Exorcist… It had that same erie feeling emmiting off of it. I thoroughly got scared… and still am scared. I’m not sure if the real story it was based on was as creepy and haunting as the movie.. but the idea that something supernatural does exist out there and it might have recentment towards human kind scares me to DEATH!
I especially enjoyed the trial scenes… The way that they were trying to justify her “episodes” as being mentally ill and how they showed the audience how the doctors saw her and how easily it can be confused for someone that IS having an epileptic seizure… Then when the priest or her family went to describe that same “episode”… she looked so demonic and obviously possesed. I thought that was GREAT! It really instilled that thought of how we probably do justify mystic happenings with science now. We no longer have an open mind to what can REALLY be out there. I really liked the movie. :)

Maria Edmunds

posted November 19, 2005 at 1:27 pm

Was this movie based on a book and is it available. I happened to have enjoyed the movie very much and have seen it 3 times.

Hollie

posted December 11, 2005 at 4:42 pm

I would like to know if the movie “The Exorcism of Emily Rose” is actually based on a true story and if it is would you let me know the name of the book and where i can get a hold of a copy. If there is any website, or books, or anything that pertains to the real story i would appreciate that information. Please reply to Hollie2767@hotmail.com

Robin Poyner

posted December 21, 2005 at 2:43 pm

I really enjoyed the move and was woundering what the name of the book was called because the move was so good i cant wait to read the book please email me the information. Thanks Robin Poyner

Robin Poyner

posted December 21, 2005 at 2:43 pm

Robin Poyner

posted December 21, 2005 at 2:43 pm

yet fu li

posted December 22, 2005 at 9:26 am

I feel sad for emily rose(real person not the movie). I had encounter a ghost before but not as bad as her. I think she got harrass by ghost instead of demons because demons don’t exist, people just use “demon” describing a evil spirit…

Ashley Brown

posted December 23, 2005 at 4:43 am

I just seen the movie a couple of days ago. It was very exciting. It had me imagining what really could have happened to her. Also made me think that something like that could actually happen to someone and that things like that do exist. I would like to know if it truly happened. Give me the websites, books or articles about where I can find this. Email it to me at gemini07_83@hotmail.com

Rico Weems

posted December 23, 2005 at 11:28 pm

I think “The Exorcism of Emily Rose” was an excellent movie and I believe in the existence and activity of demonic activity, and unlike alot of the exorcism movies of the past, it causes the average practical person to take a deeper look into the subject of demonology and deliverance (exorcism) instead of causing the audience to walk away with just a typical Hollywood thrill.

April Kassel

posted December 26, 2005 at 10:59 pm

I also would like to know if there is a book about Emily Rose. If someone received the answer can they please e-mail the name and where I can buy the book. I also is a true believer in demonic activity. People are not always what they seem to be.

Marty

posted December 29, 2005 at 11:13 pm

im from mexico, and i trudly believe all about the demons and possesions. all of u compare the exorcism of emly rose with the exorcist, but u have 2 c that they are so very different kind of movies. the exorcist is to scare, to make u have nightmares but emily rose is more about how we, nowadays, can confuse the unexplainable things, like seeing the future or see the death or, like in this, a possesion with the mental deseases like those mentioned in the movie.
one of the things that i liked the most is, during the trial, when they show u the scene from the possesion point of view and the medical. i think they dont have to say nothing openly, because is not about that, is about been concient of our spiritual side and try not to confuse with the phisical. believeng or not, it doesnt mather.
if u find the book info, please e-mail me m_123_y_abc@hotmail.com

Sarah

posted January 10, 2006 at 11:48 pm

I just saw the movie a couple of days ago, and was really surprised. I expected an extremely scary movie where things jumped out at me, or a totally unbelievable story that would make the movie a dramatic thriller. However, it actually made me think. I don’t normally go around thinking about spirits, ghosts, and demons like they are an everyday occurence. Most everyone, even if they don’t admit it, believes in a higer power deep down. However, how can there be an almighty and loving God (whether he be Buddah or Allah or Jesus) and angels, without spirits and creatures of underworld existing as well? No matter how hard we want not to believe in ghosts, spirits, and demons, because they scare us, I have a firm belief that they are out there. Or at least, like the movie says, there’s a possibility. We can’t totally disregard that possibility just because our human minds have developed scientific answers to explain everything that happens in the universe. Why is it that sometimes at night we are afraid to open our eyes in case we see something…some shadow…or hear some strange noise. We try to calm ourselves down and rationlize it…but sometimes we can’t and end up being scared just the same. Everything can be argued…religeon vs. science, our fears vs. reality, but it’s nice to have movies out there that make you think, even if they scare us.

Sarah

posted January 11, 2006 at 12:16 am

For those of you that would like to read about the real story that the movie is based on, go to this site, it was rather interesting. http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_1253.html

Lion

posted January 18, 2006 at 7:17 am

I was very suprised at how well it was written. I have seen the movie the exorcism,a horrer film, so I assumed it would be like that. I was wrong. Like I said I was suprised at how well it was written. The dedication from the actors and actresses was astounding. (Jennifer Carpenter) made you feel like it was really happening. It made me believe that who are we to pass judgement. In cosmic terms we are only here for a blink of a eye. We really don’t have enough time to even grasp the concept. Lets face it, the devil, or what we perceive to be the devil, is rarely talked about, and if it is talked about its behind closed doors.
I only have one more thing to say. To all agnostics, and the atheist. If you ever get a chance go to a place where people are on thier death bed and ask them this “Do you believe in god” You will be suprised at the responce you get.
O yea on the dvd I rented, all the spots that contained the exorcism skipped. I cleaned the cd 2 times and it still skipped.So I went out and bought it and same thing happened. Kind of wierd huh. Just some food for thought.

Bill

posted September 8, 2006 at 10:31 pm

This is an article on what the Emily Rose movie was based upon: http://paranormal.about.com/od/demonsandexorcism/a/aa090505_2.htm