Via Media

Via Media

Plan B Denied

posted by awelborn

Decisions provokes anger

Federal drug regulators on Friday once again delayed making a decision on allowing over-the-counter sales of the morning-after pill, saying they needed more time to gather public reaction to the plan and to figure out how they could enforce it.

The announcement infuriated Democrats and abortion rights advocates, who said the Food and Drug Administration allowed politics to trump science. Abortion opponents, however, said the application should be rejected.

Lester M. Crawford, the commissioner of food and drugs, said in a news conference that his agency had decided that the science supported giving over-the-counter access of the drug to women 17 and older, but that the agency could not figure out how to do that from regulatory and practical standpoints without younger teenagers’ obtaining the pills, too

Jim Hale

posted August 27, 2005 at 4:20 pm

Amy…check out the feature piece in current issue of Christianity Today on Nina Shea. Another one of an impressive string of Catholic-friendly stories which have run recently in the evangelical mag.

Jim Hale

posted August 27, 2005 at 4:21 pm

Amy…the feature story on Nina Shea in the current issue of Christianity Today is another in an impressive string of Catholic friendly stories lately.

chris K

posted August 27, 2005 at 6:08 pm

Haven’t there been reported deaths or serious injuries from this drug already? I’m surprised that there aren’t lawsuits against Barr laboratories yet with all the suits flying now against Merck. I’m also puzzled at why there haven’t been some class action suits against Planned Parenthood for incomplete or false information about the abortion procedure and health risks from those now suffering…not to mention from families of those who have been left to die, bleeding to death at the unregulated clinics with no provision for emergency situations…not even ambulances or any legally specified distance from emergency facilities. Can anyone explain??

adjuration

posted August 27, 2005 at 9:52 pm

chris k, the deaths and injuries you are talking about are from RU486, the drug that is intended to cause abortion a few weeks into pregnancy. The drug under discussion is Plan B, the “emergency contraception” or “morning after” pill which is advertised as preventing pregnancy when taken in the few days following intercourse. There was a thread here yesterday discussing this drug’s potential abortifacient effects.

susan

posted August 28, 2005 at 9:05 am

Although there have been no reported deaths or serious injuries yet it will be just a matter of time. There are too many people who do not bother to read the directions or warning inserts on their medication and may believe if one pill will keep you from becoming pregant then you’d better pop four of them, just to be sure!

chris K

posted August 28, 2005 at 2:20 pm

Yes I know that there have been deaths and other health problems with RU486. But thank you. What is the chemical makeup of RU486? I know that Plan B is a super duper dose of the birth control pill which can prevent implantation of a conception….so what are the health risks involved with it?

susan

posted August 28, 2005 at 4:36 pm

Wouldn’t the side effects depend on other risk factors, such as hx of hypertension, blood clots,smoking, heart problems, etc,which are the same for contraceptive users except you are taking one large dose at one time instead of over the course of 3 weeks?

susan

posted August 28, 2005 at 4:50 pm

If this is sold OTC it will be all but impossible to keep minor girls from getting it( look at cigarettes ) And if this became their primary contraceptive I would wonder about their cancer risks, primarily uterine and breast cancer, in the future.