Via Media

Via Media

Can’t We All Get Along?

posted by awelborn

Much commentary over the past few days about Noah Feldman’s NYTimes Magazine article about Church and State, including MIrror of Justice, naturally.

A rather different comment is found at The Revealer, where the Times is roundly mocked for deciding that this new book on religion is worth excerpting, when the Times would never, in a million years, think about excerpting a religion-themed book that people were actually reading. (Defense of the Times: Fourth of July weekend, thinking about Who We Are as a Nation and all that. Fits the moment.)

The Times Magazine isn’t normally in the business of excerpting books about religion. Karen Armstrong has never been deemed newsworthy, and neither has Richard John Neuhaus. Atheist Sam Harris’ bestselling The End of Faith was surely too controversial, as was Rod Parsley’s bestselling battlecry for theocracy, Silent No More. How about the wildly popular, quirky Christianity of Anne Lamott’s Traveling Mercies? Nope. Or hell, if really want to know what’s going on, what about an excerpt from The Purpose-Driven Life? No way. Each of these authors, and many others, have done more to shape the debate on religious life in America than Feldman can ever hope to.

So why Feldman? Because his sober, reasonable voice, calibrated to a kind of educated, middle class populism, sounds like the Times, and the Times tends to report most on those who sound like the Times. That he’s a smart man who has devoted time and brainpower to these questions — just like Neuhaus, or Harris, or Parsley — is probably not as relevant as tone.

Nancy

posted July 4, 2005 at 9:35 am

There’s something wrong with a newspaper or magazine publishing articles aimed at its core readers, written in language they are likely to understand?
I didn’t find the article all that interesting, myself, but then I don’t fit the Times’ core profile.

Jacob

posted July 4, 2005 at 9:35 am

Hey Amy. Hope your traveling is going well.
The New York Times definitely has its standards. The newspaper of record is more concerned about retaining its identity as the (self-proclaimed) newspaper of record than it is in actually reporting. But we all knew that, right? :)
I read The Des Moines Register. Far more interesting and Iowa does have a central place in national politics.

Matt

posted July 4, 2005 at 9:43 am

Heh. The main problem with Feldman and his proposal is that he fails to see secularism/atheism as a religion itself (and evolution as more a religious dogma than a scientific theory). Unfortunately, so has the Supreme Court; they haven’t really split things all that evenly after all. So denying tuition vouchers (e.g.) to schools that teach religion as the source of moral truth (not just “values”!) is still viewpoint discrimination. (Pardon me if I’m stating the obvious ;-)

Shaun G

posted July 4, 2005 at 9:58 am

While I can see how both “values evangelicals” and “legal secularists” might find the “Feldman compromise” alluring, I am not sure it is as simple as it is presented in the Times article.
For instance, Feldman mentions some controversial cases — like the recent case of Terri Schiavo, and the Roe v. Wade ruling — and suggests that his compromise would allow values evangelicals to introduce more of their faith in their political arguments. But politicians already get to bring their faith into their political arguments — and indeed, plenty of politicians make no secret about voting according to their faith’s teachings. Where values evangelicals would really like to see an infusion of religiousity is in the judicial branch — and I just don’t see how the Feldman compromise would achieve that.

Shaun G

posted July 4, 2005 at 10:00 am

Shaun G

posted July 4, 2005 at 10:02 am

Julia

posted July 4, 2005 at 11:25 am

The decision by Catholic Uiversities to accept Federal money back in the 1960s is the turning point that de-Catholicized many of those institutions. That’s when boards of directors were laicized and then secularized. That’s when professors tended to be no more Catholic than at non-Catholic schools. The resulting mind-set is responsible for Vagina Monologues being produced at “Catholic” Universities.
I say – stop accepting Federal funding or go public like Harvard and Princeton.
I see value in what the man has to say. Not in all particulars, but his thinking is provocative and seems to explain a lot of how the country got so divided.

Nancy

posted July 4, 2005 at 11:28 am

If the Times thinks it’s some kind of “newspaper of record,” they’re too busy thinking well of themselves. It’s just another newspaper.

Nancy

posted July 4, 2005 at 11:38 am

Interesting comment, Julia (as usual), and I think maybe you’re onto something. That’s why school vouchers too may not end up being such a great idea for the Catholic schools?
Follow the money? Not such a bad clue.

John P Sheridan

posted July 4, 2005 at 1:13 pm

I think Feldman has some good points, and it is interesting that his proposal is almost the opposite of the caselaw as it currently stands. In additon, I have always thought that restricting religious expression violated the “free speech” portion of the first amendment.
In defense of the Times: this is not an article about Feldman’s beliefs or religion. It is an article about the Supreme Court and Constitutional Law.
Secondly, the Times has officially disclaimed the title “newspaper of record.”
Finally, the NY Times Magazine, where this article was published, has a different editorial board and different editrotial policies from the newspaper.

Nance

posted July 4, 2005 at 3:36 pm

I’m still reeling from the idea of Rod Parsley — a charlatan to make Elmer Gantry look like St. Francis of Assisi — being offered as a potential author for the NYT to excerpt.

Peggy

posted July 4, 2005 at 4:31 pm

I live in New York and read the Times every day so I am totally familiar with their pecualiar way of loooking at the world. When they said they wanted to have more articles about religion I shuddered. Only POeter Steinfels even tries to make sense of a religious topic. Despite the fact that the churches outside of New Yrok are bursting at the seams they are only interested in a “dying” parish. There are six Catholic churches within a ten minute walk of my apartment in Yorkville. They were all immigrant based churches for Germans, Hungariand and Irish. Of course they are empty because their parish base has moved. Of course they need to be consolidated.But we hear never a word about the thriving parishes outside of New York, of the many Bronx churches filled with Mexicans or the Staten Island churches where a huge influx of new housing is attracting people.

Peggy

posted July 4, 2005 at 4:34 pm

RP Burke

posted July 4, 2005 at 6:38 pm

I’m with Nance. Headquartered here in Columbus, I think Parsley only gives out 3-dollar bills.

Nance

posted July 4, 2005 at 7:02 pm

Ha! Giving them out with one hand while collecting C-notes with the other.

Marco the Triumphalistic Papist

posted July 5, 2005 at 1:49 am

Amend the U.S. Constitution: repeal the First Amendment and in its place establish Catholicism as the sole “official” religion of the country. Error has no rights. Get with the program. Your eternal destiny is at stake.

Mike Petrik

posted July 5, 2005 at 9:20 am

Marco,
For what it’s worth I think that repealing the First Amendment would be a bad idea. But I wouldn’t mind a judicial branch that interprets the religion clauses in a manner that is faithful to their words. How’s that for a radical idea?

Donald R. McClarey

posted July 5, 2005 at 9:48 am

I would only want the First Amendment repealed for trolls with phony e-mail addresses.

Donald R. McClarey

posted July 5, 2005 at 9:49 am

Donald R. McClarey

posted July 5, 2005 at 9:51 am

Sorry for the double post.

John

posted July 5, 2005 at 10:00 am

Peggy: “There are six Catholic churches within a ten minute walk of my apartment in Yorkville. They were all immigrant based churches for Germans, Hungariand and Irish. Of course they are empty because their parish base has moved.”
Granted it’s benn all of two months since I left Yorkville for the village but I would have to disagree with that statement. I would categorize St. Joe’s (87th and 1st) as a vibrant parish and while the liturgies in Our Lady of Good Counsel didn’t inspire yours truly they always seemed to have reasonably good sized crowds at mass on Sunday morning.

reluctant penitent

posted July 5, 2005 at 2:04 pm

Mr. McClarey,
Mr. Triumphalist Papist’s email address is not phony. It’s “benedictxvi@vatican.va”, so unless you can prove that “Marco the Triumphalistic Papist” is not the Holy Father, you should withdraw your accusation!
I personally am disappointed that the Holy Father chose such an unimaginative nom de plume, and that his posts are inferior in style and content to his published works–indeed inferior in these respects to an average child’s scribblings. Nevertheless we have to respect the Vicar of Christ!

reluctant penitent

posted July 5, 2005 at 2:05 pm

Mr. McClarey,
I am disappointed that the Holy Father chose such an unimaginative nom de plume, and that his posts are inferior in style and content to his published works–indeed inferior in these respects to an average child’s scribblings. Nevertheless we have to respect the Vicar of Christ!

reluctant penitent

posted July 5, 2005 at 2:07 pm

I will do extra penance for the double post.

Donald R. McClarey

posted July 5, 2005 at 2:29 pm

Please don’t reluctant penitent. That was worthy of a double posting!

Nancy

posted July 5, 2005 at 2:40 pm

I hope amy starts posting again soon, you guys are running in circles.

hieronymus

posted July 5, 2005 at 3:52 pm

Gosh, Nancy… because we all know you never get repetitive when posting here…
Cheer up, and let the men joust.

alkali

posted July 5, 2005 at 5:14 pm

benedictxvi@vatican.va
If you get the Roman numerals mixed up, do you get an irritated response from Benedict XIV?

Nancy

posted July 5, 2005 at 5:48 pm

It’s not the repetitive thing. Hey, I can’t handle computers either. It’s throwing stones at each other about being “triumphalist.” It’s not just men.
But hey, enjoy.