The New Christians

The New Christians

God Has Resigned

posted by Tony Jones

So says McSweeney’s:

Generally, I now think I can do
more for the planet as just a guy who used to be God instead of the guy
who currently is God, you know what I mean by this? Life is too short
to compromise time and resources…it may be tempting and more
comfortable to keep your God-head down, plod along, and appease those
who demand, “Sit down and shut up,” but that’s the worthless, easy path
? that’s a quitter’s way out. You can’t sit down and shut up when
you’re God, which is why when I’m not God anymore, I can stand up and
do other stuff, like not doing stuff, which is also important, yes?

You betcha.

HT: Rick Bennett

Charles Cosimano

posted July 28, 2009 at 11:22 am

Considering the God-awful mess He has made of the universe perhaps he should have resigned long ago.

Alex

posted July 28, 2009 at 11:37 am

The whole universe is a mess? Gee, I only thought it was the parts we’ve tried to improve.

Jonathan Brink

posted July 28, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I just love it when beliefnet advertises John Piper on your GoogleReader RSS. Makes me laugh.

Drew Tatusko

posted July 28, 2009 at 5:52 pm

so if we quit we are really winners! i am sure that’s what ben roethlisberger said to his guys in the huddle this past february. if god resigned and proved deism to be true, god sure would be more effective at doing god’s job. just like sister sarah!

Keith

posted July 29, 2009 at 1:28 am

very mavericky!

belgium

posted July 29, 2009 at 7:46 pm

as far as i can see God has and still is doing his job, and all that we considered screwed up in this world is caused by us. so maybe we should step down from trying to be gods and let the one true God do his work.

Ted Seeber

posted July 31, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I agree with belgium- the only things messed up in this world, are where Mankind gets a big head and tries to take control of his own destiny.

Nathanael Offord

posted July 15, 2014 at 6:29 am

I think this site contains some rattling superb information for everyone. “Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that’s no reason not to give it.” by Agatha Christie.