The New Christians

The New Christians

This Is Why We Elected Him

posted by Tony Jones

I had the good fortune of watching President Obama’s speech live from Cairo this morning, and it was masterful. There is and will be no dearth of commentary and analysis over the next few days, so I’ll just say this: We elected this man because of his ability to make measured speeches in tense environments, to be able to built a team that has immense loyalty to one another; and to eloquently tell us, and the rest of the world, what the United States is really all about.  In this lattermost category, he excelled today.  He reached out to the world by maintaining the very ideals upon which our democracy was founded.

During the campaign, he promised to break from his predecessor and use diplomacy instead of force to make the world a safer and more peaceful place for Americans and, consequently, for all people.  Today he delivered on that promise.

Bill Samuel

posted June 4, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Tony, there is a fundamental failure in understanding in your comment. He made a great speech, but he is in fact using force primarily, but not diplomacy. The speech does not change United States policy. Actual policy is what we *do*. What the Administration is doing in the Middle East is mostly not good.
See Noam Chomsky’s analysis of the speech, what was not said, and what we are actually doing at http://accuracy.org/newsrelease.php?articleId=2005

Larry

posted June 4, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Yes, talk is cheap, from what I’ve seen from his actions so far, its “meet the new boss, same as the old boss”.

Kenton

posted June 4, 2009 at 4:41 pm

ROTFLMAO!
Did you read this post you wrote, Tony? You just said in effect “We elected Obama because he can talk, coalesce and talk.” Really! Go back and read it. That’s exactly what you just said! And not only that you’re happy about it! Yeah, he can’t really govern the country. He can’t help stimulate the broken economy. He can’t get people back to work. But, he sure does have that silver tongue, doesn’t he? And just look at him team build!
Absolutely unfreakin’believable!

Nate

posted June 4, 2009 at 6:16 pm

I thought the speech was fairly good and measured. But we delude ourselves to say that is brand new. Much of this speech has already been said by Pres. Bush and Sec. Rice. Maybe Obama just said it better…

Andrew

posted June 4, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Slam dunk Mr. President!!

Kevin s.

posted June 5, 2009 at 12:13 am

This post is incontrovertible. We elected Obama because he sound very good when making prepared speeches. I’m sure this speech made Tony feel nice and proud on the inside.
Nate is correct, however. Obama did not say anything that the Bush administration did not say, for better or worse. For that matter, he isn’t doing anything Bush hasn’t done in terms of foreign policy, other than replace waterboarding with a yet to be determined interrogation technique.

Jason

posted June 5, 2009 at 12:51 am

And don’t forget, we elected him to kill more babies. That too!

Charles Cosimano

posted June 5, 2009 at 1:05 am

I thought Obama got elected to fix the economy and because McCain picked a running mate even dumber than Joe Biden.

Don Bryant

posted June 5, 2009 at 7:34 am

I am much encouraged. I was getting tired of the BMOC swagger that just gets others riled up. We are strong enough and tough enough to flex and talk and listen. I strongly oppose Obama on abortion and will work hard to defeat his policies. But I voted for him, partly because he is able to do what he did in Cairo. His first response to conflict is not to threaten. I am old enough now (59) to see what happens when Presidents cannot do what he has done.

Daniel

posted June 7, 2009 at 11:39 pm

This is the result of placing our hopes in a silver-tongued candidate and not in what we know to be absolutely right or wrong. (aka Abortion).
I can vote for a president that disagrees on the economy and possibly even on the military…but the murder of the unborn is sinful and to condone that behavior with a vote is almost equivalent to driving a get-away car.
We must stop looking for utopia in a sin-cursed world and point people to true satisfaction that comes from the justification found in repentance and trusting Christ!

Daniel

posted June 7, 2009 at 11:43 pm

“what the United States is really all about.”
Which is why he refrains from calling the U.S. a Christian nation (which we really aren’t, but have a heritage of Christianity), but will boldly say that we are one of the largest muslim nations! (Which we definitely aren’t and have no heritage of)
Obama’s speeches are like drugs for the ignorant…they can’t wait to get there next high regardless of everything else going to hell in a handbasket around them….but of course that’s not the drugs…I mean Obama’s fault!

:mic

posted June 30, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Kenton – you’re absolutely right, and the reason he was elected was his supposed gift of speech – which fails him considerably when his teleprompted *beliefs* are uh. . . . not er. . . . in front of uh. . . him.