By Dr. Carmen Harra
Daily life can drag us down and make us weary of our circumstances. The repetition of routine becomes mundane and mediocre, and we often wonder where to turn for a bit of liberating distraction. Falling victim to the “grind” means living blinded from our true purpose and power. But there is a way to balance our everyday duties while building strength from the inside out.
A dormant power lies within us which begs to be awakened. Historically speaking, we’ve built empires, invented life-changing technology, and displayed inhuman feats of resilience. And that’s being modest in regards to our potential. The individuals who have identified their internal stamina are the ones whose names we pronounce regularly as the great thinkers and doers of this world.
So what would you do if you discovered your fountain of inner energy? Like reeling in a rare gem from the bottom of the sea, how do you rear your inherent strength to the surface so that it’s within your reach?
You can unlock your own unique force through daily exercises aimed at establishing your tenacity and capacity. Practice these empowering acts to help you tap into surprising self-powers:
- Any type of movement encourages strength. Not only does exercise empower your body, it raises the level of feel-good hormones which stabilize your mental and emotional states. The easiest way to become empowered today is to move. Walk, swim, hike, kickbox — whatever your sport of choice, engage in it every single day.
- Speaking the right words expands the spectrum of your strength. Stand in front of a mirror and tell yourself, “Today, I am prepared. Today I am powerful. Today I am a winner.” Practice whatever affirmations relate best to you; the most important thing is to speak your words with conviction.
- In my practice, I urge my clients never to compare themselves to anyone else because that devalues their individuality. Realize that your intrinsic strengths are yours alone; no one else possesses the exact same qualities, talents, or marvelous traits as you. Understand and highlight your best features. Utilize your originality as an expression of your unshakable strength.
- My daughter’s passion is to write. She tells me, “Every word can be turned into a book.” She says this because she sees the many different meanings that each word can take on. For her, words are an inspiration. Allow yourself to become excited by even the tiniest details of life. Inspiration endows you with an elevated sense of awareness and sensitized connection to your surroundings. Watch the world around you with vigilance; at every corner you turn there are a million reasons to feel inspired to take on new ideas, projects, and beliefs.
- The nourishment you provide for your body has a direct link to your overall well-being. Food of no nutritional value leaves you lethargic, depressed, and powerless. Lack of energy is your body’s way of asking for better food. While building up your inner strength, you must fortify your body, too. This way you are ready to manifest your newfound power. Establish a two-way communication with your body: listen to what it’s trying to tell you and give it what it needs.
- When you feel less-than-dynamic, take five minutes out of your day for a quick meditation. Find a quiet space, close your eyes, and breathe deeply. Allow yourself to daydream freely, picturing the ideal outcome to every problem, desire, and goal you may have. Mentally projecting your future revitalizes you with strength and gives you hope for the possibility of positive events to come.
Past reflection. Equally important as projecting your future is past reflection which allows you to measure your progress. Create journal entries in which you translate your intentions into words, concluding with the things you’ve accomplished so far and those which you plan to accomplish next. Remember to thank yourself for what you’ve done right thus far, and understand what you might’ve done wrong in prior failings.
A cause. There is strength in numbers. Joining a cause heightens your power because you share and receive potent energy in group efforts. What one person lacks another person has, and this makes a group energetically complete. Work with others towards a goal you all believe in and become involved in bringing about change you want to see.
Favourite activity. When was the last time you indulged in your favourite hobby? Doing things you love instantly uplifts you and re-energizes your spirits. Whether it’s cooking, creating, or a special craft, set time aside for activities which add variety and colour to your day.
The Divine source. Have you ever wondered, after a particularly long day or difficult challenge, how in the world did I do all of that? Even you are sometimes baffled by your own power to persevere. The universe appoints us with superhuman strength of the emotional, mental, and physical kind in times of greatest need. Recognize that you are an open channel of energy and call on your Divine source to refuel you with its unlimited supply of strength.
Action. There is no quicker road to empowerment than through action. Too often we postpone pursuing our bold intentions. Today I want you to do, not think about doing. When you see that your efforts yield positive results, you will become driven to act more often towards your aims.
Feeling weak at times is normal, but there are many strategies you can adopt for an instant burst of vitality. Implement my tips above into your everyday life and awaken the full extent of power within you.
To your secret strengths,
Donna Henes is the author of The Queen of My Self: Stepping into Sovereignty in Midlife. She offers counseling and upbeat, practical and ceremonial guidance for individual women and groups who want to enjoy the fruits of an enriching, influential, purposeful, passionate, and powerful maturity. Consult the MIDLIFE MIDWIFE™
The Queen welcomes questions concerning all issues of interest to women in their mature years. Send your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.