Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#105 Wondering what atheists do on Thanksgiving

posted by Stephanie Drury

athexgvgsm.jpgAtheists don’t get much clemency from Christian culture. They are generally thought to be misguided and inclined to despair.

While Christians are busy thanking God on Thanksgiving they have been known to wonder aloud how atheists could celebrate this holiday with no one to thank. It may not occur to them that on Thanksgiving Day many atheists are thankful to their friends and families, thankful to people who don’t dismiss them, and that many are volunteering in soup kitchens and serving the needy like Jesus said to do.

**This post originally aired on November 25, 2009, and warranted reposting for holidaisical purposes.

RetroSteveUK

posted November 25, 2010 at 5:52 am

Y’see, if Jesus were still telling parables & speaking out today, this is the sort of thing he’d be coming out with.

MH

posted November 25, 2010 at 9:57 am

Good post. I’ve always felt images like the one above are a passive aggressive way of saying someone shouldn’t celebrate the holiday.
Do they know that atheists often celebrate Christmas too?

Gregory

posted November 25, 2010 at 9:58 am

Amen to that, Stephanie. And Jesus did say such things, RetroSteveUK. Many people don’t know enough background information, so they miss out on the meaning of the parable about the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37). The Jews looked down on Samaritans something fierce. They considered them heretics, schismatics and rebels, because their Bible had fewer books in it, their worship took place in a temple outside of Jerusalem and they refused to be ruled by the King of Israel. Yet in Jesus’ parable, this religious and political maverick helps the victim who got mugged and beaten, while the two pious, observant Jews pass him by. Jesus’ audience must have been shocked. It’d be the same today if he used the example of a Muslim or an atheist over two ego-vangelicals.

Another Sarah

posted November 25, 2010 at 1:04 pm

One thing I’ve enjoyed about Thanksgiving (which happened a month ago where I’m from) is that it is basically non-religious holiday (at least here where it’s all about the harvest) and therefore one that both theistic me and my agnostic-atheist husband can both claim equally.
Just because you don’t believe in God doesn’t mean there is nothing you feel thankful for.
Thanks for another great post, Stephanie. I agree that much of what you point out here falls in line with the messages of Jesus’ parables.

kenneth

posted November 26, 2010 at 10:12 am

Nevermind the atheists. I wonder what Native Americans celebrate on Thanksgiving! “Dear Lord, we thank you for your deliverance of Europeans. We thank you for smallpox, missionaries, distilled alcohol and hinky real estate contracts…..”

J. Christine

posted November 26, 2010 at 1:23 pm

@Gregory
can I use your post next time I get a forwarded email about how the Muslims are taking over the country? The last one I received had a cartoon with a teacher telling a boy that he had the right to sit down during the pledge, but she had a guest she would like him to meet that fought for that freedom and could not stand up to say the pledge. Very powerful cartoon, I dug it, but the rest of it was filled with a bunch of hate filled propaganda about how Muslims are taking over the country. I guess Many Christians are forgetting that not too long ago we were killing each other, and still are in some places.
captcha:intellect, coundree

Mr. Incredible, in the Name of Jesus, the ONLY Way to the Father!

posted November 27, 2010 at 6:26 pm

The Preacher’s Kid says:
…serving the needy like Jesus said to do.
Mr. Incredible asks:
Who, biblically, are the “needy,” and what do they “need” that Jesus gave and Christ gives? What’s “needful” of the “needy,” according to the Word of God?
HINT: Martha and Mary.

Gaypet

posted November 28, 2010 at 1:01 am

@Mr. Incredible,
I see that you are not a native English speaker and so I respectfully ask for some clarification. I am having trouble teasing out your point. Are you calling for a theocracy?

Mr. Incredible, in the Name of Jesus, in Whom we are more than conquerors!

posted November 28, 2010 at 3:29 am

Gaypet says:
Mr. Incredible,
I see that you are not a native English speaker…
Mr. Incredible says:
The English Language is my first language, and I’m quite good at it.
So, I don’t understand where you get the idea that I’m not a native English speaker.
Gaypet says:
And so I respectfully ask for some clarification. I am having trouble teasing out your point. Are you calling for a theocracy?
Mr. Incredible says:
Well, I point out that the Preacher’s Kid says that atheists serve the “needy like Jesus said to do.” So far, no call to theocracy there.
Then, I ask for someone, specifically the Preacher’s Kid, to tell us, biblically, who the “needy” are. No call to theocracy there, either.
Then, I asked someone, specifically the Preacher’s Kid, to tell us what, biblically, the “needy” “need” that Jesus gave and Christ gives. Again, no call to theocracy there.
Finally, I asked of what are the “needy” “needful,” according to the Word of God. Even there, no call to theocracy.
I even offered a hint, in order to help narrow the search for the answer, and I cannot find a call to theocracy in my hint.
So, where you find a call to theocracy in that short post is a mystery to me. Therefore, I guess I have-ta answer your question — “Are you calling for a theocracy? – by saying, “No.”

JESUS IS LORD ! THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD OVER THE HILLS AND THROUGH THE VALLEYS, TROUNCING GIANTS !

Mr. Incredible, in the Name of Jesus Who came in Grace and Truth!

posted November 28, 2010 at 3:51 am

JESUS CHRIST — THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE — THE ONLY WAY TO THE FATHER !

The Preacher’s Kid says:
…many atheists…are volunteering in soup kitchens and serving the needy like Jesus said to do.
Mr. Incredible says:
Jesus’ Mission wasn’t to drive a roach coach, as it were, to Earth to feed everybody. He wanted NOBODY to come to Him for meals on wheels. He wanted them to come to Him for His Ministry. That Ministry was to give them the Bread of Life and Living Water for a more eternal sustenance. This is why it does no good merely to serve soup to a hungry person and let him go his way, only to return for more food, but not for the food he needs. It does no good to do only what the atheist does cuz the atheist doesn’t give him the Food God, through Christ, says he needs.

Eli

posted November 28, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Dear Mr (not so) incredible:
A)You asked Steph a question you already believe you have the answer to. Why not just come out with your point? Passive aggressiveness is moot here.
B) Jesus didn’t want to feed the hungry, eh? Perhaps you need to take another crack at the New Testament.
C) It is never pointless for a human being to learn to actually CARE about another human being without any alterior motives. And since God is, after all, the one who draws us to himself, we can not ever take credit for people coming to know Jesus.
D) Read up on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. People aren’t going to listen to something that feeds the spiritual side of themselves if their body is starving.
E) When you come across as knowing everything, you don’t convert anyone to think your way, you just come across as an ass. Do I know everything? Nope. But I know enough to admit it. Am I at the point where I can honestly say I can go forth and care about the needs of others without caring about what I get from it? As ugly as it feels to admit, no. But that is where I’m heading.
Remember, it is called GOOD news for a reason: it doesn’t condemn, or shame. In fact, it is supposed to give hope & rescue all us sinners from that. But if I’ve learned anything, it is that shoving it down people’s throats will not work. (in fact, us humans TRYING too hard in any arena or trying to make something work is stupid. try loving just to love because you are loved) Feeding people’s bodies, showing them they matter as human beings even though society would trod on them IS important. No matter who is serving the meal.
Jesus did not go around to sinners telling them how wrong they were and beating them over the head with it. He ate with them. Showed them they had value. He saved the lectures for the pharisees.

Steve

posted November 28, 2010 at 3:12 pm

@Eli: Excellent post.

Mr. Incredible, in the Name of Jesus

posted November 28, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Mr. Incredible says:
Sometimes, the Socratic method is valuable. We understand that it’s not valuable to YOU. However, it’s valuable to others, and that’s good enough for me.

Alex

posted November 28, 2010 at 6:35 pm

@Mr. Incredible,
You said ‘The English Language is my first language, and I’m quite good at it.’ ‘Quite’ is an interesting word in that it’s a contronym: it means two things that are the opposite of each other. (Contronyms are rare but ‘cleave’ is another one.)
‘Quite’ can mean ‘very’, as in ‘It’s quite cold in Antarctica’, but it can also mean ‘not very’, as in ‘Do you like tacos?’ ‘Well, I quite like them, but not much.’ In your case, you were using ‘quite’ in the first sense but the second sense seems more appropriate.
To be specific, ‘This is why it does no good merely to serve soup to a hungry person and let him go his way, only to return for more food, but not for the food he needs’ is not what you meant to say. For the first half of the sentence, the subject is actually unmentioned: it’s the atheist who’s serving the food to the hungry person. (We can parse ‘It does no good merely to serve soup…’ as ‘It does no good [for an atheist] merely to serve soup…’, etc.]
But halfway through, after that first comma, the hungry person suddenly becomes the subject of the sentence, although the grammar of the sentence suggests that it’s the atheist who is coming back for more of the (wrong) food. You obviously meant that the hungry person is coming back, but it’s not what you wrote.
Similarly, the sentence ‘It does no good to do only what the atheist does cuz the atheist doesn’t give him the Food God, through Christ, says he needs’ requires the word ‘that’ between the word ‘Food’ and the word ‘God’. (Otherwise the reader is puzzled by the sudden appearance of a Food God, and a couple of clauses that make no sense in context.) Also, English has not been capitalising common nouns since around the 18th century. Finally, it takes a certain amount of rereading before it becomes clear that the word ‘him’ in the above sentence refers to the hungry person in the previous sentence, and not to the atheist.
So, next time you feel like preening yourself on your command of the English language, you might want to consider a little humility. I hope that you find this comment useful.

Nate

posted November 28, 2010 at 6:41 pm

@ “mr. incredible”….bahahahahahahaahha fail ego-vangelical is fail. excellent insight into “serving others exactly how we want to in order to get what we want”……i believe the early catholic missionaries to the “new world” were experts at that….”accept jesus as your saviour, otherwise, no food for you….oh wait, actually, we’ll just have you executed, much more efficient”…..good to see that model is still alive
i believe the bible has several sections on faith and deeds, also, “if you did it not to the least of these, you did it not to me”…..something about caring for the poor and needy? refresh my memory mr. incredible, i think you could stand to re-read that section…
p.s. this is called agression, same as your posts….but im calling it by what it is, not calling it “the socratic method”

Mr. Incredible, in the Name of Jesus Who has overcome the world and, through Him, we, too!

posted November 28, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Eli says:
Jesus didn’t want to feed the hungry, eh?
“Hungry” for what??
Eli says:
Perhaps you need to take another crack the New Testament.
Mr. Incredible says:
No need. I already know the answer, thanks to Christ.
Mr. Incredible asks:
About what was Jesus concerned most?
Mr. Incredible says:
However, those who are born again are fellow helpers with God. When those who are born again do what God, through Christ, says we should do, God credits it to our account. We may take credit for doing what God, through Christ, tells us to do. Bragging about it? No.
Eli says:
Read up on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs.
Mr. Incredible says:
Not interested. That’s the worldly view. I’m interested only in the hierarchy of needs God, through Christ, outlines in His Word.
Matthew 6:33
Mr. Incredible says:
In other words, you INTERPRET my coming across as knowing everything. That’s not my fault.
Eli says:
Do I know everything? Nope. But I know enough to admit it.
Mr. Incredible says:
I’m not here to say what I DON’T know. God, through Christ, tells me what I DO know. He tells me to speak/write that.
Mr. Incredible says:
What “needs”? Biblically, that is.
Eli says:
As ugly as it feels to admit, no. But that is where I’m heading.
Mr. Incredible says:
Well, that’s good that you’re headed in the right direction. However, God, through Christ, tells you what you must do. By now, you should already know.
Eli says:
Remember, it is called GOOD news for a reason: it doesn’t condemn, or shame.
Mr. Incredible says:
What is the “Good News”? Earthly food is on the way? Cooked to order? Sorry, but that’s not it.
Eli says:
In fact, it is supposed to give hope & rescue all us sinners from that.
Mr. Incredible says:
Not without receiving Him. Before that, however, one must get to know Him. That may take telling that person about Him. THAT’s the Mission Jesus was on.
Mr. Incredible says:
Nobody is shoving anything done anybody’s throats. I’m just posting. Anyone may reject what I post, just as YOU did. If somebody doesn’t receive the Truth, it doesn’t impact my Salvation.
Eli says:
… try loving just to love because you are loved…
Mr. Incredible asks:
What’s “love,” biblically speaking?
Eli says:
… Feeding people’s bodies, showing them they matter as human beings even though society would trod on them IS important.
Mr. Incredible asks:
“They matter” to whom?
Eli says:
No matter who is serving the meal.
Mr. Incredible says:
It is God, through Christ, Who serves the Heavenly food.
Eli says:
Jesus did not go around to sinners telling them how wrong they were…
Mr. Incredible says:
Actually, He did. He even got angry and called names.
Eli says:
… and beating them over the head with it.
Neither am I.
He ate with them.
Yes, He did.
Eli says:
Showed them they had value.
Mr. Incredible asks:
To whom? In what way?
Eli says:
He saved the lectures for the pharisees.
Mr. Incredible says:
No, He didn’t. He brought the Message of God’s Reconciliation to them.

“THE WORDS THAT I SPEAK UNTO YOU, THEY ARE SPIRIT, AND THEY ARE LIFE. YE ARE CLEAN THROUGH THE WORD WHICH I HAVE SPOKEN UNTO YOU.” — Jesus

Mr. Incredible, in the Name of Jesus, our Champion!

posted November 28, 2010 at 7:15 pm

AND THE LIGHT SHINETH IN DARKNESS; AND THE DARKNESS COMPREHENDED IT NOT.

Eli says:
Do I know everything? Nope. But I know enough to admit it.
Mr. Incredible asks:
The fact that no one knows everything is enough, for some people, to doubt ANYTHING anybody says.
It’s not necessary for me to know everything in order to know something. What I DO know, as far as THIS discussion is concerned, is referenced in the Word of God. It’s not necessary for me to be handy with fluid mechanics in order to be handy with the Word of God.

Mr. Incredible, in the Name of Jesus, the Chief Cornerstone!

posted November 28, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Nate says:
Mr. Incredible says:
Of course, you misrepresent what I write.
It’s not that those are born again give the Word of God and that the person receive Him before he can eat. Whether that person receives Him is HIS business. If the business of those are born again to GIVE the Word with the food. However, earthly food is not the main business.
Nate says:
i believe the bible…
Mr. Incredible asks:
Which one?
Nate says:
… has several sections on faith and deeds, also, “if you did it not to the least of these, you did it not to me”…..something about caring for the poor and needy?
Mr. Incredible asks:
Biblically, who are the “poor” and the “needy”?
Nate says:
…i think you could stand to re-read that section…
Mr. Incredible says:
No need. I understand it perfectly.
Nate says:
p.s. this is called agression [sic], same as your posts….but im calling it by what it is, not calling it “the socratic method”
Mr. Incredible says:
Call it what you want. It’s still the Socratic method.

JESUS CHRIST — THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE — THE ONLY WAY TO THE FATHER !

Mr. Incredible, in Jesus' Name – there's no other name by which we must be saved!

posted November 28, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Alex says:
Mr. Incredible says:
I will determine in what sense I used the word. I used the word in the sense of “very.”
Alex says:
Mr. Incredible says:
I wrote what I meant. I still mean it.
Alex says:
Mr. Incredible says:
I am not referring only to the atheist. I am referring to ALL those who, for instance, serve only soup and not the Word of God. That can include those who say they are Christian.
Alex says:
Alex says:
Mr. Incredible says:
Those who are born again understand. That’s all that’s necessary.
Alex says:
… and a couple of clauses that make no sense in context.)
Oh, well.
Alex says:
Mr. Incredible says:
I write what I mean. No one is required to like it.
Alex says:
Mr. Incredible says:
Things are tough all over.
Alex says:
Mr. Incredible says:
I merely responded to a criticism. I merely corrected the writer. Consider him and you corrected.

Mr. Incredible, in the Name in Jesus Who says, "Keep My saying!"

posted November 28, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Nate says:
Mr. Incredible asks:
If earthly food and drink are the priority, why does the Words say, “Seek ye first the Kingdom of God…? Is seeking earthly food and drink more important than seeking the Kingdom of God? Straighten us out.

Mr. Incredible, in the Name of Jesus Who does not take His eye off the Righteous!

posted November 28, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Thanks, Alex, for the judgment, but I reject it.

JESUS CHRIST — THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE — THE ONLY WAY TO THE FATHER !

Mr. Incredible, in the Name of Jesus Who is the True Light!

posted November 28, 2010 at 7:55 pm

CORRECTION
why does the Words say – – > why does the Word say

Mr. Incredible, in the Name of Jesus

posted November 28, 2010 at 8:22 pm

It’s very nice that Alex thinks that he is writing here for a grade. A grade from/by whom, we don’t know. However, I am not.
This is an informal, not a formal, writing environment. It doesn’t call for a dissertation.
This place calls for posting ideas. Ideas may be accepted, and they may be rejected for any number of reasons. Acceptance is not required for one to post. Even Jesus’ ideas were rejected. So, I’m in good Company when I speak/write His Words and ideas.

Rob

posted November 28, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Has my beloved forum just been “Leroy Jenkinsed”

stephanie drury

posted November 29, 2010 at 1:14 am

Wow.

Mr. Incredible, in the Name of Jesus Who came in Grace and Truth!

posted November 29, 2010 at 4:13 am

Rob says:
Has my beloved forum just been “Leroy Jenkinsed”
stephanie drury
November 29, 2010 1:14 AM
Wow.
Mr. Incredible says:
Gee, I guess you’re referring to me.
Something wrong with my taking somebody’s argument apart and answering it piece by piece?

JESUS CHRIST — THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE — THE ONLY WAY TO THE FATHER !

Tony D.

posted November 29, 2010 at 10:33 am

I’m all for feeding the hungry, but please, people…don’t feed the trolls! Just ignore him, and he’ll go bother someone else.

Valerie

posted November 29, 2010 at 10:34 am

Mr. Incredible…as Stephy has pointed out to other critics in the past: You’re kinda proving the point of this blog, which is that some people act like huge assholes in the name of God.

Valerie

posted November 29, 2010 at 10:36 am

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Gaypet

posted November 29, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Alex, I think I love you.
Food God! That might just be the one for me.

Kevin

posted November 29, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Mr. Incredible, yours is the most pointless point I’ve ever seen.

Eli

posted November 29, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Wow. It would have been far more interesting if the piece by piece picking apart actually used valid arguements. Apparently, though, ignorance is still alive & kicking.

Stephen Charles

posted November 29, 2010 at 3:59 pm

The best thing that ever happened at a Thanksgiving in a long time was last year at an evangelical relative’s house. Thanksgiving wouldn’t be Christian without a devotional nightcap where all the family is awkwardly gathered round the hearth, a piece of Scripture is read and then is taken out of context and slaughtered with the interpretation that “an attitude of gratitude puts us on a higher altitude.”
But, awesome as that was, I preferred this year where Thanksgiving was held at another relative’s home, the gay agnostic. The nightcap was Baily’s. I kind of wish the first relative would’ve delivered the same devotion, but you can’t always get what you want.

Alex

posted November 29, 2010 at 4:12 pm

@Mr. Incredible:
You wrote: “You mean to say that that’s not how you took it. The reader has some responsibility, too.”
Yes, he/she does. In my case, my responsibility was to make sense of what you wrote. I was unable to do so, in spite being an English speaker of normal competence. On rereading what you wrote, I realised that you had made an error.
You also wrote: “I will determine in what sense I used the word.”
and: “I wrote what I meant. I still mean it.”
On one level I sort of admire your enormous self-confidence, not to say arrogance, and I know you think that you have a direct line to the word of God, but here, you’re actually channelling Lewis Carroll’s Humpty Dumpty. I hope you won’t mind if I remind you of the relevant passage, which seems to apply pretty much to your writing as a whole:
“`When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’
`The question is,’ said Alice, `whether you can make words mean so many different things.’
`The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, `which is to be master – - that’s all.’”
Perhaps Jesus is the master. On the other hand, he didn’t speak English.
Peace to you.

Aaran

posted November 29, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Let’s create a false dichotomy and argue about it.
Jesus taught “The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news.” He also had a lot to say about shallow hypocrisy.
As for bashing people over the head with it the gospel, I think we need to distinguish between goal and desire. We should only set goals on things that we have full control over the outcome. If we set it our goal to change someone’s will, we become manipulative in order to achieve our goal. For things that we desire but have no control over we should turn to God in prayer. We can set goals to live out our faith more consistently, to be able to articulate the gospel and to make time to preach the gospel but we can never make it our goal to change people. I think this line is often crossed in our zeal for the gospel and results in a bad experience for both parties. I think being burnt by that fuels this false dichotomy about preaching the gospel vs just being nice and doing good works.

Lnaea

posted December 1, 2010 at 12:00 am

Dude, if your going to call yourself Mr. Incredible, you need to be a porn star or cartoon. If not, your just a jackass.

Lnaea

posted December 1, 2010 at 12:01 am

sorry, I meant you’re just a jackass

ransacker

posted December 1, 2010 at 10:49 am

Wow. This one veered weird didn’t it?

MH

posted December 1, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Religious fanatics are a guilty pleasure of mine. So I kind of enjoy Mr Incredible.

Chris

posted December 1, 2010 at 10:41 pm

If this was already said sorry, but I couldn’t get through all those posts with so and so said: and someone else said: but I believe they do say who the needy is or at least some of the needy: homeless and those at soup kitchens. Isn’t that what they say before they say that what Jesus would say?

Valerie

posted December 2, 2010 at 10:43 am

I agree with MH. Guilty pleasure indeed.

KoolKat

posted February 11, 2011 at 2:38 pm

J.S. Woodsworth’s “Grace before Meat”:
We are thankful for these and all the good things of life. We recognize that they are a part of our common heritage and come to us through the efforts of our brothers and sisters the world over. What we desire for ourselves, we wish for all. To this end, may we take our share in the world’s work and the world’s struggles.

KoolKat

posted February 11, 2011 at 2:39 pm

J.S. Woodsworth’s “Grace before Meat”:

KoolKat

posted February 11, 2011 at 2:40 pm

sorry for the double post…