Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#147 Saying “Great insight”

posted by Stephanie Drury

“Great insight” is the response of choice when a person in Christian culture says something spiritually poignant. Sometimes the word “brother” or “man” is appended to the phrase. If they choose to elaborate they often will say “God is really using you to teach me something.”

This saying runs amok in Christians’ blog comments and on Twitter. Do a search to spy on it in its natural habitat.

davdrury

posted April 19, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Great insight Stephy!

Al

posted April 19, 2010 at 9:14 pm

And then after admitting that you had something great to say, they keep living and thinking like they always did.
And I’m not immune from such behavior myself.

Meghan

posted April 21, 2010 at 11:41 am

I wonder if anyone has ever considered how very similar are the vocabulary and speech patterns between Christian culture and corporate culture.
“Great insight” is a regular team-meeting phrase at my cubicle-prone day job. Oy.

Steve D

posted April 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Michael Spencer aka The Internet Monk used this analogy to describe a class on witnessing:
“We took classes in how to “witness,” classes that bore an amazing similarity to seminars on how to sell vacuum cleaners and encyclopedias. (“Mrs. Jones, after seeing the amazing usefulness of Jesus, can you think of any reason you shouldn’t buy him right now?”
Unfortunately, Michael is no longer with us. :(

John

posted April 22, 2010 at 12:16 am

Aren’t they all supposed to be in one “Accord”?
har har on me.

Carrie

posted April 23, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Meghan’s comparison between Christian culture and corporate culture gave me some clarity. No wonder I cringe every time set foot in church. I HATE corporate culture!! I hate it with a passion!!

stephanie drury

posted April 24, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I think Meghan’s right too. I’ve heard a lot of people saying they’re going to “touch base” with you in Christian culture, and that’s also pretty corporate.

Deb

posted April 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Have you leveraged Jesus today?

stephanie drury