Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#89 Saying “It’s a God thing” when something good happens

posted by Stephanie Drury

“It’s a God thing” is a phrase frequently spoken in Christian culture. It is always said in response to something good that has happened.

“It’s a God thing” can be said about anything perceived to be good such as miracles of healing, finding a parking space, or Proposition 8 passing.

It is not said when something bad happens. When met with bad news, you are more likely to hear someone say “It was God’s will.”

The Chaplain

posted July 13, 2009 at 12:33 pm

With bad news you also hear, "All things work together for good to those who love the Lord," or something like that.

jeremy

posted July 13, 2009 at 12:56 pm

The Chaplain: Not to mention, "There are three answers: Yes, No, God has something better," "not God's timing," or "maybe God has called you to a different field of service."Personally I want to take it a step further when people say, "God was all over this," and say "God was all over this… like a hobo on a ham sandwich."

David

posted July 13, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Is "It's a God Thing," similar to "It's a Black Thang,"? As in the t-shirts emblazoned with "It's a Black Thang, You Wouldn't Understand."…?Also, when people naysay this blog you should put a reassuring hand on their shoulder and gently remind them that "It was God's will."

Simone

posted July 13, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Oh boy! I didn't know about this phrase, but I am truly repulsed. Both by tyre sound of it and the concept. More the sound of it.

Ann

posted July 13, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Yeah, I've never heard this one either, but it definitely reminds me about how Christians use God as a lucky rabbit foot sometimes. If anything good happens, no matter how it affects anyone else, it's God working in the Christian's life. For instance,if the sun comes out during a Christian's family picnic, it's God answering their prayers. Nevermind how the sun affects anyone else.

Steve

posted July 13, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Thank God I haven't heard this one yet. The day my church starts doing this is the day I leave.

ROBERTA

posted July 13, 2009 at 10:16 pm

this is quite common in our NW neck of the woods! it also happens to be my best friend's pet peeve – her usual response upon hearing this phrase is – "isn't everything a God thing?"

Mark (under construction)

posted July 14, 2009 at 4:40 am

I'd rather being doing a God thing then than doing His will – it seems way safer!!!

Billy

posted July 15, 2009 at 9:38 am

I've been in the church here in the Bible belt all of my life and I have never heard this before. Must be a "Pacific North West thing."

Zack Attack!

posted July 15, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Haha I've heard that so many times. I've said it myself before too (shame on me!). I agree whole heartedly with what Mark said. By the way, I'm in love with this blog. This whole site reminds me of a Bonhoeffer quote, but unfortunately I'm at work and cannot recall it from memory. I'll come back after work and write it.

stephy

posted July 15, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Not necessarily shame on you for saying it – it's just something we do without thinking. That this site reminds you of a Bonhoeffer quote is the biggest compliment I could get so thanks.

Kate

posted July 17, 2009 at 9:52 pm

This is definitely common in Northern California. A slightly more annoying version that started in my childhood church was saying that you've had "a God sighting". This is used exactly in the same way as it's a God thing to describe something the person saying it thought was positive. I have also heard the "it's God's will" thing many, many times. My husband's mom died of cancer when he was in high school. What did people from his church say? You guessed it. "It was God's will." Nice, huh?

Anonymous

posted July 20, 2009 at 8:48 am

Hmmm, what is difference between His "thing" and his "will", I wonder?

Ralph's ralph

posted July 20, 2009 at 11:02 am

The other day while running in a park I saw a Jeep with a sticker on the windshield that said "It's a jeep thing…you wouldn't understand." Did Christian marketers steal this it from Jeep? Or, did Jeep steal it from Christians? Should I start boycotting Jeeps? That's really what I need to know. I think I will sense it kinda sounds like blasphemy-ish.

Jennifer

posted July 22, 2009 at 4:25 pm

LOL! My mom (who is a pastor of a church in Michigan) says this ALL THE TIME! Just the other night she called me at 11:30pm her time and when I answered the phone she began the conversation with, "I just have to tell you about this God thing that happened today…"But I had no idea it was a book…and that the phrase has spread across the country…Luis Palau, changing the Christian landscape…

Anonymous

posted October 2, 2009 at 8:21 pm

yeah, like when our CHristian realtors lost the house we made an offer on because they weren't quick enough on the uptake and they were all like " it just musn't have been in God's plans for you to have that particular house…" and we were like "No. You just f*cked up… you're fired!"

Grandma-Deal

posted April 21, 2011 at 10:30 am

I never heard the saying: “It’s a God thing” in church and I’ve lived in the Bible Belt over 60 years. I did, however, hear it said in many an AA meeting. Miracles today come through personalities. This saying is for people who believe God is working in their lives and they are verbally acknowledging that belief. If one doesn’t believe in God, then they should just try to overlook those of us who do. And don’t worry, even for those who don’t believe in God, He believes in you. If you don’t believe in God because you can’t see Him, then I guess you don’t believe in me either. You can’t see me. If I can’t see you, are you really there? I just have to take it by faith that you are there. That’s what I do about God, I take it by faith that He is there.