Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#57 Singing “I Will Be Here” at weddings

posted by Stephanie Drury
Photobucket

If you have been involved in Christian culture for any amount of time, there is a very good chance you have been to a wedding where Steven Curtis Chapman’s “I Will Be Here” was sung.

Usually it is sung by the church’s music director or the music director’s daughter while the bride and groom stand and stare at each other. On rare occasion, the groom will sing it to the bride. In these instances it will usually say in the bulletin that this song is the groom’s wedding gift to her. (Economical!)

At any rate, the song is a tearjerker and if you are a girl who isn’t married you will look on while quivering in your pew, your eyes welling with tears and your little heart damn near bursting with longing.

Trev

posted December 15, 2008 at 3:26 pm

The only thing more beautiful than that song is this post! Ha ha.That song isn’t as big of deal in Canada, up here it’s “I can only imagine” or Paul Brandt’s “I do (cherish you)”.

Anonymous

posted December 15, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Umm…. I’ve actually had the pleasure of singing this song in a wedding. At the time I thought the lyrics were actually kind of a downer. “When the laughter turns to cryin'”, etc., etc.-Brynn

Anonymous

posted December 15, 2008 at 4:19 pm

I sang that song at a wedding, but then the couple got divorced a few years later.

Micah

posted December 16, 2008 at 5:12 am

Robb

posted December 16, 2008 at 8:06 am

shelly

posted December 16, 2008 at 1:33 pm

I’m not sure if I’ve ever been to a wedding where this is sung. Hrm.

Anonymous

posted December 16, 2008 at 2:55 pm

I have hazy memories of attending a wedding where the groom did indeed sing this to the bride. But I might just be imaging it because it is totally the kind of thing that couple would have done. As far as I know they are still married, so that’s good. Also – economical?! that is hilarioius, and totally true.Becca

Rachel

posted December 18, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Yeah… I’m totally singing this at a wedding NEXT WEEK!!! hahhahaha! Too true. (and I’ve sung it just last year as well- I work at a church :-)

David

posted December 19, 2008 at 9:02 am

I'm not terribly familiar with this song, but then again, I'm an Episcopalian. In our Hymnal, the really "new" music is early 20th cent. ;)Is it as sickeningly sweet & sappy as it sounds ?

stephy

posted December 19, 2008 at 9:15 am

Hi David, Robb & Micah posted links to it earlier so you poor deprived Episcopalian types can experience it – try this one.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEwzUZET-RQ

Robbie Frickenhaven

posted December 19, 2008 at 8:08 pm

i don’t know if i know this particular song. but i’ve listened to a lot of songs in the genre. whenever i get nostalgic i’ll pop in a michael w. smith cd and listen to “a friend’s a friend forever” or something like that. sometimes it really hits the spot.

David

posted December 24, 2008 at 11:16 am

you poor deprived Episcopalian types…Heh, heh…yeah, deprived ;) Thanks, but I think I’ll stick with Bach, Buxtehude, etc…Merry Christmas, oh delightful hostess!

Tucker

posted January 3, 2009 at 11:30 pm

So I sang this to my wife at our wedding. I cried. True story. But being romantic sure helped with the honeymoon!

Anonymous

posted January 9, 2009 at 12:10 am

Stephanie – a tie in.Steven Curtis Chapman goes to a PCA church in TN.

Jen Smith

posted January 9, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I so need to clean my ears with bleach now.

Lisa

posted May 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm

I sang this song at a wedding. I really like the song and what it has to say about marriage and commitment; the different seasons a marriage will go through. Love SCC’s mullet though!

Roman de la rose and Pygmalion

posted July 19, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I agree with whoever said this song is a downer. My bro sang this song to his bride at their wedding, and even stony-faced Roman de la Rose couldn't keep a dry eye! But even as I cried, I thought, "WTF, weddings are supposed to be happy!" Stephy (or somebody, if she doesn't want to) should post about the Christian tendency to draw bathos and tears out of happy events.

sam

posted September 1, 2009 at 10:51 pm

ray boltz "watch the lamb"

Kari Ann

posted September 4, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Haha! Yes, my husband and I had this one sung at our wedding, but it was more because of the content of the song, rather than the fact that it was a "Christian" song. I have to say, as far as love songs go, this one's not too bad. But that's just me.

Anonymous

posted September 7, 2009 at 12:09 pm

My spouse and I grew up in Christian culture, and we had this song sung during our (same-sex) wedding, 10 years ago.

Anonymous

posted October 13, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Um … we had that song at our wedding, actually. Never dance to it anymore, though. Seems way too cheesy now.