Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#38 Bible Covers

posted by Stephanie Drury
Photobucket

Bible covers are purchased almost exclusively by Christian women aged 18 – 94. They usually have a tranquil scene or a Bible verse sewn on them. Little girls often receive Bible covers as Christmas and baptism gifts. In the south they are frequently quilted.

Photobucket

There is also a market, however small, for men’s Bible covers. These are made out of something rugged like leather, polartech, or burlap. You will never catch a Christian guy carrying his by the handle because that’s too gay.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some Bible covers have covers of Christian culture books printed onto them which lends mystery to what kind of book is actually inside. Is that a Bible in there or is it the book whose cover is, um, on the cover? But rest assured it’s always a Bible. Maybe the formula or inspirational quote on the Bible cover is just there to give its owner a sense of certainty and purpose (see #32).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Simone

posted August 27, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Do you think the gay strap on the men’s covers is a way of God to test people?

michaelstevensrev

posted August 27, 2008 at 2:35 pm

I love that you have pissed off that guy by being a knock off…I heard christians love bad knock offs anyway:)Please check this one out. I cannot believe it is real http://gizmodo.com/5042610/guitar-praise-guitar-hero-minus-the-sex-drugs-and-rock-n-roll

Derek Lehr

posted August 27, 2008 at 6:36 pm

Hey Stephanie,Not sure who you are, but thanks for commenting on my blog. I’ll make sure to check yours out…like your favorite book list.

Magnus

posted August 27, 2008 at 11:35 pm

I am reminded of The Wittenburg Door’s Green Weenie Awards, back when they still had them. It was like a Razzie or a Golden Turkey for the crassest most commercial things in Christian “culture”. Things like crucifix switchblades, useless consumer goods that were supposed to show everyone just how devout you really are and phony, scam oriented faith healers.

Bob Roberts

posted August 28, 2008 at 12:19 am

I especially like the posts with a strong anthropological tone like this one.Some of my peers and many of the adults I looked up to had bible covers. I never had one, which caused me to break the 10th commandment on a number of occasions.

Melissa

posted August 29, 2008 at 10:47 am

have you seen erick’s?

Ruth

posted September 20, 2008 at 8:37 am

Much as I despise bible covers that match the shoes, I think a bigger problem is the fact that Bibles are so obscenely expensive.When you’ve paid $60 for a book, maybe protecting it isn’t such a bad idea.

Tucker

posted January 3, 2009 at 11:51 pm

But you know why we really have these? Cuz the Sword of the Spirit needs a sheath!

MotherBored

posted May 29, 2009 at 5:23 am

Loving the blog, dude. :)As for the Bible covers: I NEED ONE! It would be a nice way to hide the fact that I’m reading books with explicit titles or naked men on the front covers when I’m on public transport. :)

Ruth

posted August 6, 2009 at 1:59 pm

My husband and I saw a couple at a thrift store the other day. We were trying to figure out what other kinds of books you can cover in them and get away with reading. Harry Potter seemed to be the best fit!I totally had one when I was younger. :P But despite my being a girl, it was black faux-leather. Win on one count.

Obi-Mom Kenobi

posted August 11, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I think the demographic is more realistically 4-94. Excellent, excellent site.

Anonymous