Scott Roeder, the man charged with murdering abortion doctor George Tiller, had been arrested once before in 1996, on charges of holding illegal explosives.
Ironically, he eventually got out of jail when courts ruled that police had improperly searched his car, The New York Times reported.
In other words, he was sprung on exactly the sort of “technicality” that liberals usually defend and conservatuives decry — proof that these sorts of protections don’t inherently favor any particular type of accused person.
Even more ironically — given that Roeder seemed to believe Big Brother was stomping on his freedoms — he was sprung because of America’s strong commitment to civil liberties.
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Steve Waldman
- Safe, Legal & Early: A New Way of Thinking About abortion
- A Modest Proposal: Conservatives Back Gay Marriage; Gays Back Covenant Marriage
- The Rick Warren Interview
- Inaugural Prayer Archive
- 2008 v. 2004 Results by Faith
- The Obama-Falsani Interview
- The Gene Robinson Interview
Best Posts That No One Read:
- Our Patriotic Holy War
- Obama's White Family and Black Church
- Science & Religion Dispatched from Cambridge
Little Known Facts:
- The Rise of Prayerism
- Deism--It's Back!
- Abortion vs. Gays: The Evangelical Age Gap
- The Spiritual Atheists
Still Cracks Me Up:
Posts That Annoy Conservatives:
Posts That Annoy Liberals:
- Thomas Jefferson: Believer in Intelligent Design?
- Obama's White House Shouldn't Vet Prayers
- Agreeing with Values Voters
- Why the Catholic Bishops Matter on Health Care
- How to Defuse the Health Care Abortion Issue
- In Defense of Bloody Aborted Fetus Photos
Posts That Annoy Everyone: