Steven Waldman

Steven Waldman

President-Elect Obama: Don’t Get a Cockapoo!

posted by swaldman

chester.jpg
Before he deals with the economy, President-Elect Obama will have to deal with a much more politically delicate quesiton: what type of puppy should he get?
He promised his girls a puppy if they moved to the White House but at his first post-election press conference, he noted that one of his girls is allergic. So they want a hypoallergenic dog but, being a fighter for the “least of these,” he wants it to be a “shelter dog” (or, a “mutt like me” as he charmingly put it).
Thanks to the miracle of cross breeding, the nation is now flooded with poodle half-breeds. Poodle’s have hypoallergenic hair instead of sneeze-inducing fur. So canny dog breeders have given us Cockapoos (Poodle + Cocker), Labradoodle (Poodle + Labrador) etc.
We are lucky enough to have a cockapoo, Chester. We adore him but…
We thought we’d get the cuteness of a cocker and the brains of a poodle but instead we got the dimwittedness of a cocker (and its irritability) and, well, the hair of the poodle. He stays up at night, perched at the window, barking at cars that drive by. He’s afraid of cockroaches. He rolls in the neighbor’s cat poop.
But low cockapoo IQ is not the big problem for Obama. These hybrids have been called “designer dogs.” If Obama gets a pricey, poodle hybrid, the Conservative Media Establishment will accuse him of being a pampered elitist, who eats arugula, bowls badly and nuzzles his Golden Doodle while sipping a glass of Honest Tea.
I suppose, you might say, he shouldn’t let Rush Limbaugh have veto power over puppy type. And it’s is true that Chester’s is the softest, must scrumptious fluff-ball in our house.
Ok, so maybe there’s a way. He just has to make sure that the poodle hybrid fits his other campaign themes — perhaps a seeing eye labradoodle who’s had to work two jobs just to afford dog food? .

pagansister

posted November 7, 2008 at 7:32 pm

I just find the fact that Obama is discussing the choice of dog for the family wonderful! He mentioned today in his first news conference that it is a priority in the Obama family! Shows just what a caring man he is…and how important Michelle and his girls are to him.

Henrietta22

posted November 7, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Obama’s family should get a Maltese, Poodle, or Bichon if Malia is allergic to dogs. I am, too, the dogs above were suggested by my Allergist, MD. We have a Maltese, and no problem. Friends have Poodles, and Bichons and they have allergies also, and no problems. We also have a kitty, and I use Allergy spray on her fur occ., and no problem. Incidentally all breeds I mentioned are great with children. We also found ours at a shelter, took a while but it’s possible.

Scruffy

posted November 8, 2008 at 12:59 am

Standard Poodle is the smartest dog on the block. Labs are the family freindliest. Chow-Chows are the most loyal (to one member of the family) and Springers love to play. Golden Retreivers are great as well.
Just stay away from the pit-bulls (and lipstick).

Amy Parnell

posted November 8, 2008 at 12:29 pm

I think he should get a pit bull! They are great dogs with little shedding and dander. Of course we all know he likely will not get a pit and if he does, lipstick will be out of the question. LOL

PhoenixOrion

posted November 8, 2008 at 1:31 pm

I would recommend a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier for the Obamas. They are hypoallergenic, playful, affectionate, intelligent, and gentler than most terriers. And they would not get the ‘mixed bag’ from a designer breed that may have the worst of both worlds rather than the best.

Annie

posted November 8, 2008 at 2:35 pm

The problem with “Labradoodles” or a “Cockapoos” or whatever you want to call them is that if they mate, the offspring are just mutts. The shelters are full of mutts, most of whom will be euthanized. A purebred dog usually comes with a contract that the buyer will have it altered and will not surrender it to a shelter. (If the buyer can’t keep it, it must usually be returned to the breeder.)
Anybody, including Dumbo Obongo, who buys a “Labradoodle” or a “Cockapoo” is effectively expressing indifference to all the healthy shelter dogs who are euthanized every day.
But you’d rather just make stupid unfunny partisan “jokes” about it, wouldn’t you?
Anyway, why do they need another dog? They already have Michelle.

jestrfyl

posted November 8, 2008 at 5:41 pm

I am reminded of a characterization of the Obama’ soon-to-be (but not soon enough) hometown, Washington D.C. – it has all the gentility of New York City and the efficiency of the South. The Obama;s would do well to get a mutt that the girls have spent some time with befor ethey bring the dog home. They need to remember that this dog will be a part of their lives for quite a while. Consider it more like a marriage, which is not done based on one date alone. No matter what the breed, if they allow themselves some time with the pup, they are more likely to make a choice that meets their expectations for a long time.
Dog love ‘em, and I wish them well!

mamascout

posted November 8, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Oh Annie,
Your clsoing comment was cruel. Michelle Obama is a woman and a mother who wakes up everyday just like the rest of us mere mortals; wanting to give her daughters love and a better world.
Your comment was tacky. Please don’t do that. Even if you don’t agree with her philosophy or stance on the issues, degrading her reflects poorly on you. I’m sure you were raised better than that!
Make your mama proud and show some grace.

ks

posted November 10, 2008 at 8:59 pm

You’re a real class act, Annie. Keep showing that sore-loser side, it suits you. Insult Michelle all you want, she’ll still be living in the white house come the new year.
Also, last I checked, mixed-breed dogs can also be fixed. And their owners can also be responsible, without paying hundreds for a dog that would find a home anyway. A little thought is a wonderful thing – give it a shot sometime, once you pull yourself out of your ugly little cloud.

Patrick

posted November 17, 2008 at 5:32 pm

All I know is, my cockapoo, Molly, isn’t like you described. She’s agile, playful, friendly, smart and we love her to death. Mix breeds are 50/50 chances.

LL

posted November 19, 2008 at 1:33 pm

I love our Cockapoo puppy, she is smart, fun, and strong and she is a great dog. Each dog is different and you can’t generalize. You obviously don’t understand animals or training. If you dog stays up all night barking at cars, it’s because you are lousy trainer.

Mim

posted November 25, 2008 at 2:56 am

If I was your dog, I’d stay up barking at cars all night too. He’s saying, “Please, get me out of here!!!”

danny

posted March 25, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Wow, I can’t believe the mean-spiritedness in your article comments about your dog. I really feel sorry for dogs stuck with people who don’t have the patience to train their dogs complain about getting them once they realize they require effort.
Maybe you should have thought first about what kind of commitment you were getting into. Getting a “designer breed” doesn’t mean a dog is going to be perfect or that you don’t have to train it. I hope you will consider giving the dog to a loving home vs. subjecting it to a lifetime of belittling. I’m so disgusted with your negativity toward a dog who didn’t any say in making the decision to live with you.

Berrezalin Carise