Before he deals with the economy, President-Elect Obama will have to deal with a much more politically delicate quesiton: what type of puppy should he get?
He promised his girls a puppy if they moved to the White House but at his first post-election press conference, he noted that one of his girls is allergic. So they want a hypoallergenic dog but, being a fighter for the “least of these,” he wants it to be a “shelter dog” (or, a “mutt like me” as he charmingly put it).
Thanks to the miracle of cross breeding, the nation is now flooded with poodle half-breeds. Poodle’s have hypoallergenic hair instead of sneeze-inducing fur. So canny dog breeders have given us Cockapoos (Poodle + Cocker), Labradoodle (Poodle + Labrador) etc.
We are lucky enough to have a cockapoo, Chester. We adore him but…
We thought we’d get the cuteness of a cocker and the brains of a poodle but instead we got the dimwittedness of a cocker (and its irritability) and, well, the hair of the poodle. He stays up at night, perched at the window, barking at cars that drive by. He’s afraid of cockroaches. He rolls in the neighbor’s cat poop.
But low cockapoo IQ is not the big problem for Obama. These hybrids have been called “designer dogs.” If Obama gets a pricey, poodle hybrid, the Conservative Media Establishment will accuse him of being a pampered elitist, who eats arugula, bowls badly and nuzzles his Golden Doodle while sipping a glass of Honest Tea.
I suppose, you might say, he shouldn’t let Rush Limbaugh have veto power over puppy type. And it’s is true that Chester’s is the softest, must scrumptious fluff-ball in our house.
Ok, so maybe there’s a way. He just has to make sure that the poodle hybrid fits his other campaign themes — perhaps a seeing eye labradoodle who’s had to work two jobs just to afford dog food? .
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Steve Waldman
- Safe, Legal & Early: A New Way of Thinking About abortion
- A Modest Proposal: Conservatives Back Gay Marriage; Gays Back Covenant Marriage
- The Rick Warren Interview
- Inaugural Prayer Archive
- 2008 v. 2004 Results by Faith
- The Obama-Falsani Interview
- The Gene Robinson Interview
Best Posts That No One Read:
- Our Patriotic Holy War
- Obama's White Family and Black Church
- Science & Religion Dispatched from Cambridge
Little Known Facts:
- The Rise of Prayerism
- Deism--It's Back!
- Abortion vs. Gays: The Evangelical Age Gap
- The Spiritual Atheists
Still Cracks Me Up:
Posts That Annoy Conservatives:
Posts That Annoy Liberals:
- Thomas Jefferson: Believer in Intelligent Design?
- Obama's White House Shouldn't Vet Prayers
- Agreeing with Values Voters
- Why the Catholic Bishops Matter on Health Care
- How to Defuse the Health Care Abortion Issue
- In Defense of Bloody Aborted Fetus Photos
Posts That Annoy Everyone: