It looks like undecided evangelicals have decided — for McCain.
The latest Pew poll has John McCain’s lead among evangelicals (77%-23%) almost identical to George Bush’s election-day margin over John Kerry in 2004 (78%-21%).
In June, Pew had McCain with 65% and Obama with 25%.
In other words, Obama has stayed the same, but the undecided evangelicals have broken almost entirely for McCain so far — this despite months of outreach by Obama to this group. Early indications are that it was the combination of the Sarah Palin pick, Obama’s poor performance at Saddleback Church and the rising perception that he’s a pro-abortion extremist (exemplified by his alleged support for killing infants).
But from a faith-based perspective, the poll has one piece of good news for Obama: he’s holding his own among white Catholics. In June, McCain was beating him 46%-40%; in the new poll he’s winning them 48%-41%.
Theories for why Obama would be doing a bit better with Catholics:
–Palin not as strong there
–Catholics dont care about abortion as much as evangelicals
–Catholics are more upset about the economy
–Maybe a little bit of Joe Biden
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Steve Waldman
- Safe, Legal & Early: A New Way of Thinking About abortion
- A Modest Proposal: Conservatives Back Gay Marriage; Gays Back Covenant Marriage
- The Rick Warren Interview
- Inaugural Prayer Archive
- 2008 v. 2004 Results by Faith
- The Obama-Falsani Interview
- The Gene Robinson Interview
Best Posts That No One Read:
- Our Patriotic Holy War
- Obama's White Family and Black Church
- Science & Religion Dispatched from Cambridge
Little Known Facts:
- The Rise of Prayerism
- Deism--It's Back!
- Abortion vs. Gays: The Evangelical Age Gap
- The Spiritual Atheists
Still Cracks Me Up:
Posts That Annoy Conservatives:
Posts That Annoy Liberals:
- Thomas Jefferson: Believer in Intelligent Design?
- Obama's White House Shouldn't Vet Prayers
- Agreeing with Values Voters
- Why the Catholic Bishops Matter on Health Care
- How to Defuse the Health Care Abortion Issue
- In Defense of Bloody Aborted Fetus Photos
Posts That Annoy Everyone: