Rod Dreher

Rod Dreher

Sullivan denounces gay paper outing pastor

posted by Rod Dreher

Good for Andrew:

I should add that [politics as total war] is not always on one side of the political equation. This story — about a gay journalist infiltrating a private therapy group in order to out and expose a conflicted minister — is just as disgusting a violation and should not have been published, in my view. Why? Because if a twelve-step group’s confidentiality is violated, then all bets are off. No hypocrisy was involved. But if the paper also offered a reward for others to infiltrate such counseling sessions in order to persecute gay ministers, it would be at the Breitbart level.

Houghton

posted July 1, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Now if he would just denounce himself for all of the Trig Palin sliminess, which he’s still flogging.

Polichinello

posted July 1, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Let’s not forget, too, the little mudbath of purloined e-mails Sullivan wallowed in. The guy has no standing to criticize Breitbart.

BobSF

posted July 1, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Sullivan, like others, is jumping to conclusions. It’s disappointing that he presents assumptions as facts. It would be good if someone looked into this outing in a more serious way. Guess that someone isn’t going to be Sullivan.
Based on what has been disclosed, I agree with him that this piece should not have been published. I also agree with him that 12-step and other therapeutic settings should be off limits to prying eyes. But, unlike Sullivan, I’m not so naive as to believe that this incident is unprecedented.
If you think this outing was outrageous because it violates the sanctity of therapy, support the repeal of DADT.

thehova

posted July 1, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Is Rod really complementing Sullivan while he continues to spew crap about Trig Palin? It’s sort of hard to believe.

Theophilus

posted July 1, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Look, Sullivan isn’t perfect. Nobody is. In regards to this particular incident, he’s spoken well. That’s worth saying, regardless of (and perhaps particularly because of) his conduct regarding Trig Palin. Claiming that Sullivan’s errors in one area preclude commending him in another is exactly the sort of zero-sum logic that leads to today’s pointlessly polarized politics.

thehova

posted July 1, 2010 at 4:37 pm

There’s some truth to that Theophilus.
But I’ve noticed a general reluctance in the blogosphere to criticize Sullivan’s relentless rants about Trig Palin. There’s something deeply disturbing about it. And yet, only Sullivan’s far right critics objected.
I’m not sure why that that reluctance exists, but I think a lot of it has to do with power. Sullivan has a lot of blog readers and bloggers are reluctant to make criticisms against him.

Roland de Chanson

posted July 1, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I have been extremely distraught since this “outing” (didn’t an outing used to be a picnic or something like that?) occurred.
I am in an anonymous group myself and it would be devastating to my marriage, livelihood and reputation if I were “outed.” I thought I had an expectation of privacy when I joined but I’m not sure of anything anymore.
So far DADT has worked out pretty well for me. Nobody asks if I comment on Dreher’s blog and I don’t tell ‘em. But I’m just a little more scared now. It’s a lonely life as a closeted self-hating “commenter.”

MargaretE

posted July 1, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Roland, you’re on a… roll :-) Nice Hitchens comment, too.

Peter

posted July 1, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Seriously? Because I see Sullivan and his Trig obsessions being discussed and criticized everywhere.

Peter

posted July 1, 2010 at 6:11 pm

BTW, the reporter who wrote the story has finally explained his reasoning and attacked his critics

Alicia

posted July 1, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Sullivan is right, you are right, Rod. “Outing” someone against their will, or violating the confidentiality of a therapy group, are signs that someone has flunked the basic rules of civilized humanity. This is the same reason why I am appalled when organizations (right, left, whatever) print the home addresses of people with whom they disagree. There are some things that are such a violation of the rights and humanity and safety and security of others that they just shouldn’t be done. There are certain tactics that people in various causes advocate that they would abhor if the tables were turned.

Lynn Gazis-Sax

posted July 1, 2010 at 8:22 pm

I’ve seen a lot of criticism of Sullivan’s rants about Trig Palin. I’ve seen him get criticism from feminist blogs for it, and from Lawyers, Guns, and Money, for example (hardly a far right blog). Maybe you’re missing it because a lot of bloggers, having made the point that he’s out of line here, don’t have the same appetite for making it over and over and over as he does?
In any case, though he’s wrong in flogging the Trig Palin business, he’s dead right here, and I agree with Theophilus that his wrongness on some points doesn’t preclude commending him where he’s right.

celticdragonchick

posted July 1, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Proof?
The emails I know of that Sully used were all in the public domain from other sources.
Try again.

celticdragonchick

posted July 1, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I imagine he will stop whenever Palin admits she makes up wild stories (like flying across the country for hours and then traveling an additional two hours by car to Wasilla while in labor with a high risk pregnancy)or when the MSM actually grows some gonad tissue and starts asking questions about her amazing record of prevarication and distortion.
captcha: northeast basins

michael

posted July 1, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I would have expected nothing less; Dr Sullivan is a man of principle, besides being the most interesting blogger around.

Roland de Chanson

posted July 1, 2010 at 10:45 pm

MargaretE,
Thank you. I remember I was once on a roll. She lost weight and I married her. She gained it back. :-)
michael,
What is the Dr. Sullivan’s “principle”. I have my own suspicions but I invite your expatiation.

thehova

posted July 2, 2010 at 12:04 am

I don’t know. Maybe I’m being too harsh on Rod.
But I just find it odd that Rod is complementing Sullivan for his wisdom regarding privacy when he’s conducting a win at all cost, including privacy and decency, war against Sarah Palin.

brbr2424

posted July 2, 2010 at 12:09 am

Andrew Sullivan is courageous in not backing down on the Trig Palin questions. There are serious questions about that story. Sarah Palin spews venom but won’t address any questions ever. Even at the debate she didn’t answer the questions asked.
Both Sarah and her daughter are pulling off a huge flim flam. Between Sarah’s unbelievable story and Bristol’s error of ommision in not admitting she had a planned pregnancy they are both raking in millions. These babies have made more for their handlers than any child actor.

Rod Dreher

posted July 2, 2010 at 6:52 am

I think Andrew goes way, way too far with the Trig stuff, and I’ve said so in the past. I quit paying attention to it ages ago. But look, where is it written that you have to approve of everything a man does before you can approve of anything he does?

Hesed

posted July 2, 2010 at 9:18 am

If they are in sin, let them step down and take care of their personal failings, rather than leading others in their own path to righteousness.

Houghton

posted July 2, 2010 at 10:03 am

Rod, in all seriousness, how can one “quit paying attention to it” when he posts on it nearly every single day? Sorry, but comment that reeks of compartmentalized silliness. He has an ongoing “Why does Trig matter” thread going that is relentless in its self-justified sliminess. The man is clearly disturbed and has exhibited a disquieting tendency toward misogyny.

Alicia

posted July 2, 2010 at 10:05 am

Sullivan regularly publishes extended quotes from those who criticize his obsession with the Trig story on his blog. While it might be a good idea for him to drop his obsession with the Trig story, I do believe Trig Palin is being used as a prop and I don’t disbelieve Levi Johnston’s story that Palin called Trig “the retard” in private because I think Palin is an appalling woman, a liar and a phony.
I also think the MSM has treated Palin with kid gloves, just as Sullivan suggests. There is a simple reason why this is so, IMO. Palin is news. Palin is a celebrity. As soon as she ceases to be a celebrity, the MSM will drop its hands-off approach to her like a hot potato.

grendel

posted July 2, 2010 at 10:55 am

“Sorry, but for a minister to still be in the ministry while going through counseling sessions for being in open sin, wreaks of the Catholic Church moving pedophile priests around, for their rehabilitation.”
I don’t think he was in “open sin” though. I understood he was in counseling because he experienced feelings of same-sex attraction, which he perceived as sinful. I don’t recall reading that he had acted on those feelings.

Robert C

posted July 2, 2010 at 11:23 am

From what I now understand, this pastor was “outed” partially as payback for speaking out against the University of Minnesota and the University of Minnesota Press who accepted for publication in 2002, a manuscript entitled (‘Harmful to Minors’) written under the auspices of a certain few in the gay community who advocated lowering the age of statutory rape to 11 years. The book pointed out that some adults, who were molested as children, tell researchers that they look back on the experience as pleasurable. It then drew the conclusion that since pleasure is good; adults should be legally free to engage in sexual acts with children. At that time, many individuals wrote letters of protest to the president, chancellor and the 12 regents of the university, and received dismissive, condescending replies — carrying on about freedom of speech.
Pro for Andy saying the right thing in this matter, since he knows full well what it is like and how it feels to be kneecapped by the leftist gay mafia concerning his own not so private life and those bareback escapades (his late night trolling down Commercial Street hunting for those pudgy bearish leather twinks he so favors not withstanding). Cliff Rothman wrote a very rational piece in Salon at the time in defense of Sullivan and chastising his nemesis for dual hypocrisy. http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/06/02/sullivan/index.html
But Andy really needs to climb off his high horse about Palin. All politicians manipulate the truth to protect their own frailties as human beings and not to alienate their own power base. He would do much better addressing Obama’s predilections for gay bathhouses than focusing venom on some innocent child, even one spawned by a political opponent.

Peter

posted July 2, 2010 at 11:44 am

Robert may win the award for ugliest smear post dressed up for company. He even got in a slap on Obama. Congrats

Robert C

posted July 2, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Thank you, but as a gay man who formerly lived in Ptown and often still visits, my own eyes have not faltered as of yet although my perscriptions are forever being updated.

Peter

posted July 2, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I like how you snuck in the Obama bathhouse conspiracy. That’s classy.

Brett R.

posted July 2, 2010 at 10:47 pm

What’s the point of even citing Sullivan around here? You could quote him saying “Bismarck is the capital of North Dakota” and people would drag out the bareback incident and Trig Palin again. It’s futile.

escort hotel

posted July 23, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Truly interesting blog to spend some time on reading it at least as for me. By the way, why don’t you add it to social bookmarks? That may bring much traffic to this article.