Rod Dreher

Rod Dreher

Viva the Turtleman of Kentucky!

posted by Rod Dreher

You don’t see too many people like this on my street:I’m probably related to him, though. Hope so.H/T: The Turtleman of Munger Place.

AnotherBeliever

posted June 9, 2010 at 11:35 am

Well, that’s a good life skill. Catching snappers without having your fingers bit off. When I was a kid in southeast Virginia, my family once came across this MASSIVE snapping turtle in the road. We used to always stop and help box turtles across the road (I was and still am very fond of them.) Mother thought we shouldn’t discriminate between turtles and got out of the car to “help” it. She tried grabbing it from behind, but the thing’s neck was so long it about snapped her hand off. Pretty rattled, she came back to the car. We figured the thing could probably fend for itself, all things considered. It’s probably STILL lurking in a nearby swamp. Turtles outlive humans.

Florence

posted June 9, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Appalling. Leave the poor creatures alone.

Gus

posted June 9, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I hate to be a killjoy, but those things take decades to get that big, and while not exactly endangered, snappers are under pressure from habitat loss. People taking them for food doesn’t help.

Roman

posted June 9, 2010 at 2:46 pm

He’s beautiful, a Kentucky version of Olmo from Bertolucci’s “Novecento”

brierrabbit3030

posted June 9, 2010 at 4:21 pm

A little bit of that “Old Weird America” that still lives. Were not as all yuppified yet, thank God….
However Gus is right, snappers take a long time to mature.

Quiddity

posted June 10, 2010 at 4:04 am

I’m with Gus on this.

sheldon

posted June 22, 2010 at 11:33 am

he”s a cool dude

sheldon

posted June 22, 2010 at 11:36 am

He is one cool redneck from the south. I go noodling sometimes. I dont think I could do this one though. SNAPPERLICIOUS