Rod Dreher

Rod Dreher

Is there anything the iPad can’t do?

posted by Rod Dreher

Probably not:

Jens Stoltenberg, the Norwegian prime minister, who was stranded in New York because of Iceland’s volcanic ash cloud over the weekend, was using an iPad to run his government remotely, according to his press secretary.

Here’s my new favorite prime minister hard at work at the airport. Tusen takk, dude, for helping me make my case to the skeptical and austere prime minister of my household that we rilly, rilly need to get an iPad. (“Sell the house in Dallas first, then we’ll talk,” she says, meanly):
Norwegian-PM_1618972c.jpg
UPDATE: Behold, the next generation iPhone has a front-facing camera for video chat; you just know the next generation iPad will too. I’m gonna wait.

Larry

posted April 19, 2010 at 12:00 pm

It can’t do anything that Steve Jobs disapproves of. It can’t run Flash applications. It can’t be modified by its supposed owner. It can’t work on any wireless system except WiFi.

Bill H

posted April 19, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Can it connect to my PC at work? If not, then it doesn’t do the most important technological feat that I’d need to run the People’s Non-Democratic Republic of Bill H on the fly, and is thus inferior to my netbook, and about equivalent my mobile phone.
Seriously, the iPad does look cool, but I’m still not convinced that I’d be doing anything more than spending $450+ on a new toy. If they add features that make it possible to be productive with the thing, then I might consider it.

Peter

posted April 19, 2010 at 12:43 pm

One of the things that makes you so interesting is your utter contradictions. You are at odds with modernity and culture, yet a complete slave to it when it comes to technology and consumerism.

Shelley

posted April 19, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Ouch, Peter…I think you may have misunderstoof crunchy conservatism. You may note that Rod and fam don’t live in a log cabin, and wear homespun.
So Rod, how did the Prime Minister of your home get that position? Personally I am looking for pointers, specific action I can take to win this position for myself in my own household. Unfortunately, at this point, my demographic is allied against such a course of action. Perhaps I need to be more “mean”, as you so eloquently phrase it.
Thanks for a good chuckle this Monday morning….

R Hampton

posted April 19, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Given the nature of your new position, maybe you can write it off as a business expense.

Fr. J

posted April 19, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Perhaps if you got yourself elected prime minister of a small nation somewhere it would strengthen your case.

Chuck Bloom

posted April 19, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I bet it can’t do tai chi?

Pat

posted April 19, 2010 at 7:08 pm

You might be interested in this article about why the iPad won’t run Flash.
Sounds like a mess I don’t want to get involved in. Apple and Adobe in a fight to the death … either way, those of us with PCs get to sit it out, using our Flash and other Adobe products. Besides, I have a little ASUS computer I can carry around and read stuff on — and I can write stuff on it as well, and save it to a USB drive.
But then, everybody who knows me knows I got burned by Apple way back (They do have some of the prettiest powerpoint templates, though).

MH

posted April 19, 2010 at 9:39 pm

The iPad is not an open system and can only run programs the gate keeper approves of. Like the iPhone it probably has a remote kill switch if you modify it. I wouldn’t be surprised if programs that you’ve paid for can be deleted by Apple if relations with a third party vendor go south.
I wouldn’t buy it nor accept it if it were free.

Lord Karth

posted April 20, 2010 at 1:33 am

I’ll stick with my paper calendar, real books and land-line phone, thank you very much.
Your servant,
Lord Karth

Lord Karth

posted April 20, 2010 at 1:47 am

One other thing: any device that makes it easier for government bureaucrats to work their will is to be considered evil until proven otherwise, if not shot on sight.
I see it myself in my dealings with a certain Wonderful Gang of Happy Monkeys here in my area; the head of one of the organizations I deal with is a computer aficionado. The organization in question recently went “paperless”, and now processing/payment times have actually gone UP. Not to mention that the organization is now more “political” than ever; those who do not support the leader of the organization to the government that funds the group find their payments mysteriously delayed.
“To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer. The working of truly serious evil, however, takes an iPad.”
Your servant,