Reformed Chicks Blabbing

Reformed Chicks Blabbing

Robert Schuller ousts son from the “Hour of Power” TV show

posted by Susan Johnson

Robert Schuller had given his son his ministry but now he has taken it back and no one seems to know why. Did the son stray from his father’s teaching in a good way (preaching the gospel?) or in a bad way (further apostasy?), no one knows and neither of them are talking:

The Rev. Robert H. Schuller removed his son Saturday as preacher on the syndicated “Hour of Power” television show less than three years after handing over to him the ministry he began more than 50 years ago.
Schuller announced the removal of his son, Robert A. Schuller, in a statement read to some 450 Crystal Cathedral congregants by Jim Coleman, the church’s president.
“It is no secret to any of you that my son, Robert, and I have been struggling as we each have different ideas as to the direction and the vision for this ministry,” his statement read.
“For this lack of shared vision and the jeopardy in which this is placing this entire ministry, it has become necessary for Robert and me to part ways.”

I don’t watch the show so I have no idea if he remained faithful to his father’s power of positive thinking type preaching or not. Do any of you guys watch the show and know what the son’s been up to?

Laura

posted October 26, 2008 at 7:50 pm

Robert

posted October 26, 2008 at 8:05 pm

If the senior Dr. Schuller has Parkinsonian dementia, that would be a very sad end to a long and distinguished ministry.

a concerned employee

posted October 26, 2008 at 11:14 pm

I work for the Crystal Cathedral, and even though Robert H has slowed down tremendously, he has never exhibited any signs of parkinsons or dementia, and I would hate for this type of rumour to get started. As far as the ousting, we were surprised when Robert A was originally installed. He is a nice man, just not very dynamic.

lee

posted October 27, 2008 at 1:47 am

No. The elder Mason said, “Son, some day all of this will be yours.”

Robert

posted October 27, 2008 at 5:46 am

One of the reports suggested it–but I’m delighted to hear the report is wrong.

Jennifer

posted October 27, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Robert Schuller Jr. was dynamic! Much more interesting than his father and he is getting older, would have been nice when it’s time for him to meet his maker and leave this church to have his son’s face there still. I am shocked, even my mother in law in her 70’s liked the son’s sermons better than his Dad’s. Time to bring the younger generation in and forget the robe. Such a sad thing, I think it will effect the support and watching of the show, as I’ve been watching for 20 years and I don’t even feel like watching anymore. Big mistake!

Chris

posted October 27, 2008 at 8:18 pm

His voice is getting old and boring to listen to. He talks all fancy and sophisticated. I like his son, he was a great guy. I will be looking for his new church and show.

Chris

posted October 27, 2008 at 8:23 pm

Robert Schuller Jr. much easier to understand and more bibicial than his father. Father’s voice is hard to hear and understand for me. I’ll be looking for the son’s shows and church.

Dotti

posted October 29, 2008 at 10:47 pm

So very sad. Robert, Jr., was truly doing the work of an evangelist in bringing people to Christ during many alter calls. I always felt that this was the PRIME purpose of a minister’s role. I feel that Robert, Sr., should retire. All he is doing now is bringing another sign of the end times. The word tells us that “Father will be against son and daughter against mother.” I would never have expected this from such a learned man of the word.

DENNY

posted November 2, 2008 at 8:55 am

Well, this decision by the father to oust the son was the true “Hour of Power” for the Sr. Schuller, in my opinion. Jr. tahght the Word of God and Jesus Christ as King of King and Lord of Lords. Senior seems to be promoting his books and his own philosophy more than God’s Word. However, I believe at one time the father preached evangelically.
I believe jr should have his own ministry. This ministry will be declining, in popularity, I believe.

George Taylor

posted November 2, 2008 at 9:46 am

Unbelievable Mistake; Since Robert Jr assumed the pulpit i was thrilled to hear and watch his services and feel the presence of the LORD being ushered in and seing the evidence during his alter calls .I will not be watching this program anymore and have shared this descion with my Christion Born Again Believers.

Linda Metters

posted November 2, 2008 at 12:47 pm

I watched the Hour of Power today when Robert Schuller Sr. told the congregation that after much prayer the Board had decided that they would invite preachers from many different denominations to present the sermons at the Crystal Cathedral in the future. I think this is an inspired decision and will see this ministry thriving as it goes forward. I know that everyone is different and isn’t that great because it hints at the infinity of God. I happen to be someone who preferred the sermons of the senior Schuller, not because of the words that came out of his mouth, but because of the integrity and unswerving right thinking that he demonstrated.

Mark

posted November 2, 2008 at 8:45 pm

I don’t think father and son had the same vision going forward. I’ve always loved Dad’s preaching (I’m not a huge devotee or financial backer, I give my money to my local church) and Jr was trying to turn into Joel Osteen (i.e. no robe, too much of his wife Donna). What I loved most about watching Hour of Power, and trust me it’s the only one I watch, is that it was a traditional worship service with powerful music and a pretty good message. RAS took it too far too quick. If you are going to not wear a robe, drop all the other things, etc., it’s best to wait until your father/founder is dead. I don’t think there’s too much mystery or scandal (Robert II seems like a stand-up guy and III is in line as well, I think, for eventual ordination), just a VAST disagreement.

NORMA MARK

posted November 2, 2008 at 8:46 pm

HOW COULD THE SENIOR PASTOR SCHULLER DO THIS TO HIS SON AND TO US, WHO FOLLOW THE SERMONS ON TV? yOUNG ROBERT BROUGHT A FRESH APPROACH TO HIS SERMONS AND HE WASN’T ALWAYS SELLING SOMETHING.
IT IS TIME FOR THE SENIOR SHCULLER TO RETIRE AND READ HIS BOOKS, HE HAS HAD HIS TIME IN THE LIMELIGHT.

Joan Lantz

posted November 2, 2008 at 10:07 pm

If this ousting wss done because Robert A Schuller preached Biblically, that is a shame, and the senior’s vision may suffer. I truly was once again inspired to watch the Hour of Power, to hear God’s Word. Sr. preaches think this way and you will achieve. As far as another commented about the robe- Sr. wore a robe worn by college professors, not a Robe of an ordained minister. Several Preachers are going to keeping the robe off. God Bless Robert A Schuller and God find a way for the ministry to survive and keep it sound Biblically

Barry McQueen

posted November 5, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Please add my wife and I to the list of disappointed viewers who disagree with Dr. Schuller Sr’s view and decision to go forward with the Hour of Power as a guest forum.
I have watched Robert senior on and off for many years and was looking forward to watching Robert jr for many more years. I strongly believe that they do have a ‘church’ and that the many of us who can’t attend in person, believe that it’s our church, led by our minister, not a bunch of guest speakers, albeit many of them are excellent in their own right.
Keep the Hour or Power as it is and as it has been, and have a guest speaker occasionally! We pray that the right decision will be made and that whatever rift has occurred will be mended with God’s help.

Virginia Barnes

posted November 7, 2008 at 2:29 pm

I am from Boston but spent many working hours at my company’s headquarters in LA, attending the Crystal Cathedral frequently. I saw Robert A. and Donna receive the “Blessing of Hands” in January 2006 and wondered at the time if the transition to Rev. Schuller’s son would work. I personally think that Robert A. has the right focus for the Christian world today i.e. focusing on the disadvantaged, missionary work, a return to Biblical references throughout weekly sermons. The emphasis on helping others rather than constant requests for contributions was a refreshing change. I would, however, think that both ministers could have worked out reasonable solutions to assist growing the congregation both spiritually and monetarily without dividing the members of the church/mission and their own familial relationship. Possibility Thinking and Christian doctrine can be one and the same. A very sad outcome for all . . .

Mary

posted November 8, 2008 at 8:38 pm

The son was preaching the true gospel of Jesus Christ..the father has always preached positive thinking. I heard him recently say we have to get back to positive thinking. Positive thinking is not going to get you to heaven, it’s the gospel of Jesus Christ! I will miss hearing the word of God preached…and I won’t be listening to a worldly view of positive thinking speech. Because the son was ministering to the world the father is so jealous. Why should he ware a robe he is a man just like anyone else.

REV CANON ISRAEL ODITA

posted November 9, 2008 at 7:09 am

AM SO SHOCKED! BOTH FATHER AND SON HAVE THEIR INDIVIDUAL DIFFERENCES, BUT THAT IS THE BEAUTY OF OUR MULTIFACETED SPIRITLED CHRISTIANITY. I HAD BEEN USING THEM AS ONE THE EXAMPLES OF PARENT OFFSPRING MENTORSHIP RELATIONSHIP. I HAVE ALWAYS FELT A NEED FOR A BALANCING OF THE SENIOR SCHULLER’S POSITIVITY THEOLOGY. THE JUNIOR IS NOT RADICALLY DIFFERENT FROM THE FATHER, SO WHAT’S THE MATTER?

Ike Huber

posted November 9, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Like many others I missed the ‘ousting’ and by mere fact no mention was being made of Robert A and Donna I grew suspicious. A sad way to end a ministry that needed to return to a Biblical & missions focus as Robert A had begun to take it. I like so many others have used Hour of Power as a secondary source of Christian inspiration, our local Church being the first. This means I will watch much less and remind myself to pray for the ministry. I don’t believe that Robert H’s message of ‘positive affirmation’ will cut it, we know we all need Jesus in this advanced time. So long.
IH

Lee Toman

posted November 9, 2008 at 1:33 pm

How can a man of religious background create such heartbreak that will affect the whole family? I am shocked that there could not be a compromise made.
REv Robert Schuller, Jr, has made such an impact with his warm and humorous ways
It causes me to lose faith in Rev. Schuller, Sr. Is this GOD’S teachings to discrace a son who has shown such promise?
It looks more like jealousy.
I have a sad heart that such a

KatB

posted November 9, 2008 at 4:56 pm

I just found out why the son is no longer on. This is so sad. :(
Tho I am not a fan of over the top, gloom and doom, bible based preaching, I like the combo of positive preaching mixed with bible based. To me, Chirst was a positive thinker! The two ways of preaching work well together. This is so sad for all. I myself find it easier to follow the hard to follow ‘rules’ of God if first I learn and follow all the positive ones. Both men & their families are in my prayers.

Weston J Mortimer

posted November 9, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Ido miss Him ON the hour of power. His sermon was in tune with normal problem of today.

Christy

posted November 10, 2008 at 2:17 am

I recieved an E-mail from a friend several months ago talking about Oprah Winfrey new age beliefs. Apparently over this past year she has funded a program “Oprah and Friends a full years teaching from the book A Course in Miracles. I have only just read this artilce in the past week, since the elections.To make a long story short, half way throught the article it referred to Robert Schuller having on an author Dr. Gerald Jampolsky who authored the book Love Is Letting Go of Fear. He declared in his book how the book A Course in Miracles had changed his life. Dr. Jampolsky has been on Hour of Power several times.
The article did not clearify which Robert Schuller (Jr or Sr.)was endorsing the new age author. I would be very interested in finding this out.

Debbie

posted November 10, 2008 at 10:24 am

Me and my family were so delighted each week to watch Robert, JR. and Donna who we felt could reach a younger generation as myself. We really have no interest in watching the Hour of Power anymore, because Robert Schuller brought a new vision to the program that we could relate too. I agree with others, that a Positive Thinking message that we’ve heard for years can’t hold. There’s got to be more. When Robert Jr. took off his robe, I was so impressed and that was only one change. I loved Donna taking a part in the service, it showed togetherness, as one. I miss them both very much. I pray for their entire family.

Walter Nagel

posted November 15, 2008 at 1:38 pm

When Robert A. Schuller, son of founder Robert H. Schuller, started preaching from God’s Word instead of from a textbook on Psychology, the Church Board and Robert H. Schuller ejected him as the Senior Pastor of Crystal Cathedral.
In the Book of 2 Timothy chapter 4, God warns us of times like this, in the last days:
“1. I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2. Preach the Word; be instant in season, out of season; Reprove, Rebuke, Exhort with all longsuffering and Doctrine (Bible teaching). 3. For the time will come when they will NOT ENDURE SOUND DOCTRINE; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having ITCHING EARS; 4. And they shall TURN AWAY THEIR EARS FROM THE TRUTH, AND SHALL BE TURNED UNTO FABLES (Psychology). 5. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.”
However, Robert H. Schuller has made the following statement about teaching from God’s Word, the Bible:
Schuller stated: “I was called to start a mission, not a church,” Schuller told his audience Sunday. “There is a difference. . . . You don’t try to PREACH . . . WHAT SIN IS AND WHAT ISN’T SIN. A mission is a place where you ask nonbelievers to come and find faith and hope and feel love. We’re a mission first, a church second.”
At the Judgment Seat of Christ, Robert A. Schuller will hear the Words- “Well done, good and faithful servant”
What will Robert H. Schuller hear?
God bless,
Walter

Bill B

posted November 16, 2008 at 8:44 am

I miss Robt Jr. I dont know all the story but if he is walking with God then maybe…just maybe God is or “was” using him to take on an expanded much deeper direction for the ministry…. Just a thought.
I’ll pray for them

Ernie & Sharon

posted November 16, 2008 at 12:54 pm

We are deeply distressed that Robert Schuller Jr. is not preaching every Sunday. We watched Schuller Sr. for many years and enjoyed him, however, were delighted to hear more of the way of Salvation from Robert Jr. as Robert Sr. preached more of psychology and a bit of God’s message to us.

Judy

posted November 16, 2008 at 5:38 pm

I’ve been an Eagles Club member for many years. I found spiritual blessings from the preaching of both father and son Schuller. I especially like the sermons preached from the Bible by Robert Anthony Schuller. I just found out that Robert A. has been ousted by his father as the preacher on the Hour of Power television ministry seen around the world. I won’t be renewing my Eagles pledge in 2009. Yes, the ministry was going through hard economic times, but so is the rest of the world. It isn’t because Robert A. has been driving people away. I don’t like the idea of guest preachers on the Hour of Power. I want to sit in my living room (I’m chronically ill) and watch my own preacher every week, just as if I was going to a physical church building. This was such a bad decision that it suggests Robert H. is becoming senile at the age of 82. This shows why people need to be prevented from making horrible mistakes because of their agedness. The Board was wrong to acquiese in the firing of Robert A. God bless him and the Crystal Cathedral.
I sadly predict this ministry will never recover.

posted November 16, 2008 at 8:04 pm

I have watched this program off and on when I am not at my own church. Sometimes it is important to change things abit so as to reach the young people of our country. As long as the message is the same God is glorified. ____We only have one family, one father, one mother and siblings, and what a shame this is happening to them. My prayers are with both families and their ministry. God is in control no matter what.____Gail__Bartlett, TN

posted November 16, 2008 at 9:34 pm

It is distressing to see this split in both the family and the church leadership. Perhaps there is a lot more to this than just a difference in philosophy or style. Robert Jr. has had personal issues in the past that could be the real reason for this situation. While I don’t believe that any deep personal issues need to be shared I do believe, for the good of the church, there should be more of an explaination than what has been given. No doubt that The Hour of Power has lost some ground to Joel Osteen who I also watch and enjoy but in times like these theHour of Power church leadership should exhibit more strength and loyalty to each other than what appears to be happening now.

posted November 17, 2008 at 11:41 am

This would seem to be but a microcosm of what is going on within the Christian church today. There is a vast array of difference between the three generations of Schullers. I think Sr. is strong willed and has naturally passed it on to the generations that followed. They are all intelligent and are blessed with visions for their ministries. I say God bless each of them and their ministries. The only true solution for each is to follow the lead of the Holy Spirit in their life and ministry. As for the Hour of Power which I love, God’s will is perfect. Sr. can hand it over to whoever but its success is wholly dependent upon God’s plan. We need to pray for each of the Schullers, the Church, Hour of Power and remember only one thing—“God is in controll”.

Steven Fisher

posted November 17, 2008 at 1:06 pm

My Wife and I have followed Hour of Power for years, I am also a member, thru Robert A. We have been very curious as to why he hasn’t been preaching. To pass judgement would be wrong since I don’t have a clue why he was removed. I think with our time and donations we are at least owed that much. They have both brought us closer to our walk with God, so we aren’t looking to choise sides just an answer.

posted November 23, 2008 at 6:15 pm

RHS MINISTRY OF POSITIVE THINKING BASED ON THE BIBLE IS THE REASON MY WIFE AND I HAVE EAGLE CLUB MEMBERS FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS.I LOSE INTREST IN THE STANDARD SERMON,PREACHING THE SAME MESSAGE OVER AND OVER AGAIN .I AM NOT INTERESTED IN LESSONS ON THEOLOGY.I LOOK FOR BIBLE BASED SERMONS THAT ARE RELATIVE TO EVERY DAY LIFE.RAH SERMONS ARE NOT POSITIVE BASED BUT MORE THEOLGY BASED.WE DIDNT LIKE HOW ROBERT JR. WAS MAKING THE HOUR OF POWER THE HOUR OF ROBERT JR. AND FAMILY.HIS WIFE WAS READING SCRIPTURES,HIS SON PREACHING,HIS DAUGHTER GIVING MESSAGES.ED ARNOLD WHO HAS BEEN WITH THIS MINISTRY ALMOST FROM THE BEGINNING WAS NOWHERE TO BE SEEN.ROBERT JR. IS A GOOD MINISTER JUST LIKE THOUSANDS OF OTHERS OUT THERE.BUT POSITIVE MINISTRY IS WHAT BUILT THIS MINISTRY JNTO WHAT IT IS TODAY.CHANGE THIS AND YOU REDEFINE THE MISSON STATEMENT FOR THIS CHURCH.IF A PERSON NEEDS A MORE THEOLGY BASED MESSAGE,THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF OTHER CHURCHES THAT CAN FILL THAT NEED.I WAS GLAD TO SEE THE HOUR OF POWER GETTING BACK TO ITS ROOTS.

T J

posted November 28, 2008 at 11:13 am

If you have attended the church, the grandson is a much better minister and speaker than the son. The is another example where a generation skip provides the better person in a given field.

D C

posted November 29, 2008 at 9:58 pm

Whenever there is a break in the vision, it becomes division. It is best to part ways and seek the Lord for the future of the ministry.

posted November 30, 2008 at 6:43 pm

I have seen both Robert H. & Robert A. in person at an event near our town. I think Robert A. was much better in person – more relaxed. Robert H. was just as he was on t.v – excellant. The Hour Of Power has not been the same since the son took over – not as enthusiastic/positive thinking sermons which is what the Cathedral was built on. You cannot expect the father to sit back and watch everything that he has built and thrown his life into start to change into something new. If this is what the son wanted then he should have stuck to his own church that he started years ago. I quit watching the Hour of Power after 20 years of doing so when the son came on and taking off the robe was just like he was trying to mirror Joel Osteen – it didn’t work. I hope the family can heal from this event and remain the close knit family they once were.

posted December 1, 2008 at 8:49 pm

I wondered what happened. My mother use to watch Srn who is no longe with us and I did too, but I did not find anything wrong with Jr. I rather enjoyed him. Something new and fresh. I don’t know what went on behind the scenes, but I certainly hope they can mend the fences. After all Senior is no spring chicken and won’t be here forever, so someone needs to be able to take over someday.

Jack Parsons

posted December 4, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Jack P
We don’t know the facts on the financial trends of the church, nor it’s demographics of the congregation.
The content of the services, sermons, guest, etc were excellent under RA. Last Sunday was a “bomb”:
an egocentric pianist for 15 minutes and a terrible preacher. Previous Sunday, the preacher was excellent.
I have been involves in church management for many years and am familiar with the factors that make one successful.
This one is derailed and needs to get back on track. Bring back RA or you will continue to lose momentum.
The bottom line is viewers and pledges. Right now our group on Cape Cod is in neutral.

Art Scott - 30 year church musician

posted December 5, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Shame Rev. Schueller for handling this situation and his son in such a degrading, unchristian manner. Robert H. made a laughing stock of his church and Christianity as a whole.
Robert A. has the leadership skills and just like his father, he will fail and just like his dad did and hopefully learn from his mistakes.
His son Robert A. is a great person as well and has the right to lead this church in a style that worked for him…his dad certainly made many mistakes in his judgemental calls inside and outisde the Cathedral.
This family deserves our thought and prayers because no matter if the Crystal Cathedral flourishes or fails – God is still in control of the universe and His will = will be honored regardless.
If ministries like the Crystbal close their doors tomorrow – God will open up other ministries.
Mom and Dad Schuller should have supported and mentored their son and not tossed him out.
Thank God our Heavenly Father does not toss us out of His Kingdom because we fail to measure up to His expectations all the time.
Art Scott rather than criticize – we should all pray

posted December 7, 2008 at 12:57 pm

I was wondering-where is he? It was great having them both for awhile. Then JR. took over at age 50, talk about patience! You can become President of the US at age 35. He was doing great and always praised his father. The suit was fine, his ideas were fresh and exciting. I would like to see the guest preachers continue, but with the two co-pastors, father and son again. SR has a lot of wisdom and he won’t be around forever, so we need to hear from him. But please bring back JR and give the younger viewers a feel of seemless transfer of trusted power that really, honestly, appeared to be there.
Jeff

sktam

posted December 7, 2008 at 6:34 pm

It is the end of all the glamor and zest of the Hour of Power. Sad. I sow it in my dream, I sow Dr Schuller Sr.nude and I told to my friend some thing bad is going to happen to the Hour of Power. Then when I was watching today and last week i did not see His son. Then I thought abut my dream and went to research about the problem and found out that his son was ousted. I pray that Dr. SChuller bring back his son, otherwise the worst he never taught is going to get at him.

Victoria Cohan

posted December 9, 2008 at 12:10 am

I’m an 86 year old shut-in, and watch the program on a regular basis. I feel JR is a breath of fresh air, and may discontinue watching as a result of his being asked to leave the show.
BRING HIM BACK!!!!

posted December 14, 2008 at 10:35 am

I am most saddened and ashamed of Robert Schuller Sr. for the nefarious action taken against his son, Robert Schuller Jr. JR. did bring a new a refreshing approach to the Hour of Power. I remember the week he had Evel Kneivel on the program and how there was such a strong movement of the spirit of God.
JR. did do things differently, but not worse than his father. It is sad to see a man Robert Sr. who has achieved a degree of greatness throw his reputation away and become a old man facing death determined to take his achievements with him when he goes. Come on SR. You should have been proud of your son who brought such an open loving spirit to the Cathederal. He was carving a new course that I believe was of God. Obviously it was not of Robert SR. SR, you need to reconcile your non-christian behavior toward your son and seek his forgiveness. Then you need to reinstate him and rsign permanently and spend your quiet years getting a little close to God. The whole situation is so sad.

posted December 17, 2008 at 12:04 am

We are saddened by the change on “The Hour of Power”, ie the loss of Robert Jr. and Donna. They have a son in the ministry, as well, who is a powerful preacher and perhaps the two of them will join together and continue to “bless the Lord” and those of us who benefit from their ministry.
This does not appear to be a positive change as we have watched the last two weeks and really missed Bob and Donna. And wherever they are, and whatever they do, God will continue to bless them.

posted December 21, 2008 at 2:03 pm

I don’t know what justified this action. But I do know how I now feel. I have faithfully watched the HOP for 30+ years. The positive messages saw me thru many personal hardships. However, now, I do not care if I miss the program or not. Guest pastors every once in awhile is a nice change of pace…but it does not take the place of what the HOP positive messages stood for and helped so many cope with their daily struggle.

Anthony

posted December 25, 2008 at 5:44 am

I’ll keep it short; they have made a very foolish mistake by removing a dedicated man, Robert Schuller, Jr., from a position I believe God had put him in. They, the church, have become “old wine skins,” obsessed with glories of the past…God was pouring new wine and they couldn’t handle it. Very sad. I hope and pray they realize their mistake.

posted December 28, 2008 at 9:04 am

I was very much saddened to hear of Robert and Donna’s departure from the program. My wife and I have been Eagle’s Club members for many years. A decision that we will no doubt have to re-think this upcoming year.

posted December 28, 2008 at 1:33 pm

I totally agree with Robert Schuller senior for his decision to part ways with his son. I not only watched for many years, I also made many financial contributions however when his son took over the ministry, the apparent focus on “money” became primary and I left. I am certain that Schuller Jr will find his home.

stuart england

posted January 4, 2009 at 2:24 am

As A person who watches the HOP only now and then, but take inspiration from it. I was tuly saddened read, only this morning, of the split between father and son. I hope and pray that the lord will show them the way forward, so that they can be reconsiled.

posted January 4, 2009 at 5:21 pm

I am very very disappointed. I enjoyed Robert Schuller Jr.’s services and especially his sermons. I also enjoy Robert Sr.’s services and sermon’s as well, but no minister has a “best” delivery or message every Sunday and having both Schuller’s provided the variety I enjoyed immensely. I will miss Robert Jr. greatly and hope he makes himself available in a television media arena, so I can enjoy his sermons. I will continue to watch HOP, but I’m definitely disappointed in this happening. Robert Jr. brought a freshness that just isn’t there any longer. Please bring Jr back.

Loren KIel

posted January 5, 2009 at 7:35 am

Only recently did I learn that Robert A. Schuller was no longer with the HOP ministries. I have watched TV Evangelism from satellite TV. I am a somewhat regular viewer of the HOP but have only supported the ministry with my prayers. (I concentrate my stewardship emphasis with my own church.) I have enjoyed all of the wonderful musical talent and the testimonials people have given as to how this ministry has changed their lives. However, I am disappointed with the turn of events and would like to see reconciliation and young Robert Schuller re-instated there as I do feel he did add a new dimension and new life to the ministry. He did preach the gospel. I recall when Evil Knievel was baptized, the rest of the service was dedicated to a call to the altar for others to be baptized. Robert A. made that his sermon for the day.
In my studies of Scripture, I have noted two thrusts to the gospel message. It shows us our need for a Savior and then shows us the Savior we need. There is much said in the Bible about sin and the folly of it. In his ministry, Dr. Schuller, senior, has not put equal emphasis on that aspect of the broken human life to balance with the power of God in the power of positive and possibility thinking. The latter seems to stress the personal individual initiative more that God’s initiative. In today’s society, it seems that it is a sin to even mention the word sin! It is just not politically correct.
The New Testament and especially Saint Paul’s writings stress the ‘old human sinful nature’ and he laments about it — even in his own life after his conversion. (Romans –Chapter 7) As time goes, he experiences a growth and humility –sanctification, that is, those qualities of becoming more Christ-like. “For I am the least of apostles, unfit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God” —- “To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make all men see what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things;” — “The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. And I am the foremost of sinners; but I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience for an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.” ( I Corinthians 15:9, Ephesians 3:8-9, I Timothy 1:15-16)

posted January 10, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Very sad to larn why I haven’t seen Robert Jr.. He was fresh and preached God’s word, not a personal psychology……Ministers ae to prech God’s word and Robert Jr. was doing that..What a shame…Appears Satan is alive and well in our world..

posted January 18, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I still have not been able to find out where he is today (robert jr.) the church says they don’t know where he is. very sad, because i no longer watch the HOP because i would rather hear robert jr. preach any day…i agree, he is filled with holy spirit i have not seen in church before….it is so sad this happened. I am glad today he is Walking in his own Shoes. please advise on this site if anyone knows where and if he is preaching somewhere else. i would love to hear him again. a family and church tragedy for sure. we all need to pray.

Peter

posted January 23, 2009 at 6:07 am

Perhaps it’s not a good idea to hand over a ministry to another just because he is a family member.
It sounds like they are having disagreements, but I am sure they are mature enough to still love and respect each other.
I think Schuller Snr. is still being called by God tp preach, so we will hear from him from time to time.

posted January 23, 2009 at 6:08 am

Dorothy Grant

posted January 27, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I am so saddened to hear that Robert A. Shculler is no longer preaching. I enjoyed both him and his father so much. I pray that this separation will not affect their relationship as father and son.I watch Hour of Power every Sunday.

bob

posted February 1, 2009 at 8:29 am

The elder Schuller wanted to expand the ministry of the church to include other pastors and resources – the younger Schuller wanted to keep the ministry tight and a platform for just himself, as his father had for years. Change versus status quo – the son lost.

PAUL

posted February 3, 2009 at 8:45 am

I think it is a shame the Robert Sr. won’t tell the truth why he fired his son. There are so many rumors floating around and no one knows the truth. PAUL

Renee Dowling

posted February 15, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Sadly Robert A is not a preacher like his father. He is a person who was given the reigns to an organization for which is was unqualified. It is no different than many family companies. When I first learned of Robert A’s divorce, that was strike one for me. When I heard him preach and speak to the audience like he was instructing a bunch of kindergartners, that was strike two. When I saw and heard his beach-bum looking son preach, that was trike three. I have become a fan of Joel Osteen, but am still a fan of the Almighty’s. I pray for the cathedral, but the son was not qualified to run it, and sadly neither is the father at this age in his life. Only God can fix the church now, and he will!

Dinah in Dayton, Ohio

posted March 1, 2009 at 3:58 am

It is so sad that Robert Schuller, Senior has, more or less, fired his own son from preaching every Sunday morning. I have watched the Hour of Power for years, and while I agree that the son may not have had the same preaching style as Robert Schuller, Senior – he was still an extremely effective minister. I loved watching the show when his wife would speak for a few minutes, also. I also noticed that the Sunday morning that Junior didn’t wear a robe and wore a suit instead that Dad was really mad! Publicly, Junior told the audience that he and his Dad didn’t agree about the robes, but that Junior believed he didn’t need the fancy robes to be able to preach the word of God. I say, Amen! And, the Sunday morning that Robert Schuller’s grandson spoke (Junior’s son), I watched the program and was awestruck! His talk was absolutely amazing. He was definitely NOT a beach bum, and his words were inspiring, and full of conviction. I personally believe that Robert Schuller, Junior was pushing the church in a new, and better, direction. Wonder what will happen with Robert Schuller, Senior passes away and goes on to Heaven? I hope and pray there is a provision for Robert Schuller, Junior to come back and rescue the Hour of Power. I can’t stand to watch it now. It’s so sad! Let’s all pray that the Lord’s perfect peace will restore father and son.

Dinah in Dayton, Ohio

posted March 1, 2009 at 4:02 am

This is so, so sad that Robert Schuller, Senior and his son have parted ways on the Hour of Power. I have watched this program for years, but now, can hardly watch it at all. Not too long ago, Junior was convicted NOT to wear the formal robes when he preached. He stated publicly that he and his Dad did not agree about this, but that Junior thought the robes were just too formal. You could tell when the camera spanned over to his father’s face that Dad was mad! And when Junior’s son – Robert Schuller, Senior’s grandson – spoke one Sunday morning, I thought he was absolutely amazing. His ministry is more of a hands-on, miracle believing type of ministry. I say more power to him. Again, I’m not sure Senior agreed with this direction. It’s hard to watch the program now. Please join me in praying that peace will come between these two and Robert Schuller, Junior can be restored as the lead minister on this wonderful, inspiring program.

posted March 1, 2009 at 9:02 am

I am really disappointed that Robert Schuler Jr is no longer preaching on the Hour of Power. I use to get up early on Sunday Morning and watch him before going to church. I liked the way he had changed things. He moved closer to the congregation, and took off his robe. I liked his message. I would like to know where he is now.
I would like to go here him preach. I do not like listening to different ministers every Sunday, and no longer watch or send money into the Hour of Power. Good Luck Robert Jr whereever you are.

Susan

posted March 11, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Unlike others, I am not disappointed that Robert Jr is no longer preaching. It took me a while to get used to him replacing his father but I never felt he represented all the principles of his father. Robert Sr worked so hard, for so many years, to build his church and the Hour of Power – he handed it over to his flesh & blood and had every right to want things done certain ways, after all, he built it to what it is to this day. I disliked Robert Jr’s wife speaking, felt she was a phony so would put my TV on mute or change channels while she spoke. I like the robes Dr. Schuller Sr wears as well rather than a man standing in a suit and Jr’s suits looked like they were custom made – spending a fortune on them. One thing that I don’t like is having so many different preachers each week — I feel Dr. Schuller Sr needs to preach more. God Bless the Schuller family — Jr needs to listen to Sr!!!

Mariann

posted March 22, 2009 at 8:59 am

I find it so sad that two preachers who preach forgiveness and positive thinking could not work their problems out. A father and son should be able to work together if they believe all they claim to believe.
I have lost faith in their preaching. I feel they do not “walk the walk”.They simply “talk the talk.” Unfortunately they have also undone the good they have done in the past by losing so many followers who needed to belief in their dedication and perseverance.

posted March 23, 2009 at 3:23 am

My husband and I began our married life 42 years ago by attending what was then called Garden Grove Community Church and now Crystal Cathedral. Robert Jr. was a teen and Robert Sr. was building the Tower of Hope. The drive-in was packed as were the pews for every service. The choir processed down the center aisle singing praises to our God and as the glass doors opened so the podium could be seen by people in the cars Robert Sr. would bellow “This is the day that the Lord has made – let us rejoice and be glad in it!” Being from a strong Christian home that was affiliated with a fear-based worship this loving-God-who-has-a-plan-for-you type of teaching was both refreshing and balancing. As a brand new Christian my husband took his first steps with Christ under this ministry which has served him well through many years of strong church leadership. We were only there for 5 years but it set the stage for God to use us in ways that have been unbelievable. For this we hold deep gratitude to Robert Sr. and the ministry of this church. As for Robert Jr. – we watched him take his ministry at a church connected to his father’s – in San Clemente where we visited regularly for a few months. It struggled as a church under Jr’s leadership and preaching as he seemed to be propped up with his father’s sermon notes (almost verbatim) and name. When he was appointed to the post of Sr. Pastor at Crystal Cathedral we were quite concerned but concluded that he must have developed in his leadership well beyond what we had experienced. Then as more and more of the original ministry was handed over to him we noticed that his preaching seemed quite different from his father’s and wondered what this would mean in the future. Now we know. Truly the ministry, as it stands now, is a little dated for the world today but perhaps a slow and natural death would be better than trying to change it – let it stand for what God intended for it’s fruits are many. Perhaps Robert Jr. will raise up an inspired ministry that meets the needs of our younger generation along with his son – if God so directs! My prayer is that the family is at peace with one another and with our great God as they each minister the good news to a hurting world!

Patricia K

posted March 26, 2009 at 7:05 am

I think that Dr. Schuller doesn’t know how to let go. If he wanted Robert, his son to take over then let him take over. What is the big deal about wearing the robes. If people come, then they will come not matter what the minister wears. I liked Robert, Jr. I like his hands on approach. I would like to know where he is.
I hope that he will get his own church and start a show on tv. I miss him. I like Hour of Power. I love getting their Christmas ornaments every year. They are beautiful. I also like their jewelry gifts.
I can only hope that Dr. Schuller has not made the biggest mistake of his life. The question now is who will take over once Dr. Schuller is no longer with us.
I am praying that some how they can come back together. If not then I don’t know what will happen to the Hour of Power.
Pat

Lee

posted April 5, 2009 at 3:42 am

For a long time I would get up with my father to watch The Hour of Power. And for the last few years I have actually hated listening to Robert Schuller Jr. preach even though my father wanted me to listen with him and my mother. My parents live with me do to their strokes, but many hours went by before they had strokes in their house when all of us would gather with a cup of coffee and listen to Robert Shullers’ sermon for that Sunday. We loved his stories, and his guests he would have on, and the messages that he would send out to you. When Robert Shuller Jr. started preaching we all would wait for his father to step in. And the days that we knew that his father was not going to be on…we found a game to watch or the morning news. I am probably as old as Robert Shuller Jr., and I did not find him interesting, bright, or actually informed on some of the issues he tried to handle on most of his sermons. Once I remember he tried to get the congregation involved in something…and I thought basically how stupid it all was. Even my father quit listening to the Hour of Power for awhile due to Jr’s sermons. I am glad that Robert Shuller has taken over the Hour of Power again. I met him once with my mother and father, and twin sister. He is a beautiful man that is so “easy’ to listen to…and it feels more like “home” when he is the one up on stage. I know he will have to find someone that can take his place at some point. Oh, by the way, I do buy in to the fact that Robert Schuller Jr. was trying to reach out to a younger generation, but even that “younger generation” liked the sermons from Robert Schuller Sr. the best. They felt that Robert Shuller Sr. was more authentic.

posted April 23, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Bring back the son,
We need to hear the truth and not candy coded messages. The bible says when we know the truth the truth will set us free. We need to lead people back to the cross. With some of the messages that are giving today we are leading people to hell. God’s word says in revelation we are not to add to or take away from his word. The times we are living in we don’t need religion we need a relationship with the Lord. I will being praying that the Lord will give Shueller Sr. a tender and changed heart, and bring back his Son. God Bless dp

Sherin Yousri

posted May 3, 2009 at 6:22 am

I am a muslim born in Egypt and moved to Germany in 2000, one of the first things I did was to find our more about Jesus and become a true follower and now Jesus is my lord, my saver and my power and one of the main reasons was the “Hour of Power” specially when father and son were preaching and I was so ignorant that I was sceptic about their intention because of their outfit, I thought they are kind of extremist in their preaching….. I was until that day where Dr. Robert A. Schuller “Jr.” was preaching and was telling a story about an experience he had when a close friend of his asked him …. “WHO WOULD BE THE MOST PERSON YOU WOULD WANT TO MEET IN THE WORLD, IF YOU COULD”… Dr. Schuller thought for a moment ….. “AND I WAS THINKING, WHAT HIS ANSWER WOULD BE …. FROM THE POPE TO MOTHER TERESA TO MANY CHRISTIAN LEADERS, AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT MY MIND WAS FIXED ON” ………… however and to my shock his answer was …….. “MOHAMED ALI”… The great boxer and to me that would have been the last name on a list of millions just for the fact that Mohamed Ali changed his religion however and since that day, my love and respect to the Chrystal Cathideral church grew more and more and I understood the lesson of “Never to Judge by looks or assumption”…. Now coming to this sad story, well they are still human and our believe in Jesus should not be related to any assumptions or stories about a Father and Son’s humanly problems and all I will do and suggest to all of you is to pray very hard that they find their peace and manage any differences they may have.
I still respect them both and look at their work and how they have impacted millions of lives and will not judge and only pray to Jesus to bring peace to their hearts.

Jeff and Colleen Pifer

posted May 11, 2009 at 3:32 pm

My husband and I really liked Dr. Schuller’s son and wife. We believe they know what salvation is really about, Jesus, not your self.

Janet

posted May 26, 2009 at 7:04 pm

I am SO sad that Robert Jr. is now gone. I won’t watch Hour of Power anymore since Robert Sr. came back and there are “roving pastors” coming into and out of the pulpit. The love of God and the Bible-based teaching that I was getting is now gone, and the glitz and glamor is back. I hope I find out that Robert Jr. is starting his own ministry and has a place where I can listen to it. Until then….

posted May 26, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Jesus told us to watch for the signs…I believe this is the anti-Christ spirit that has crept into this beloved church to cause division not only between father and son, but within the body, (the church). We do, however have Power and Authority over the plans and assignments of the “wicked one”, and the Prayers of a Righteous Man or Woman shall avail much! The Psalm below describes the work of the anti-Christ spirit. In verse 2 “his anointed” one is talking about the church…those who really press in under the Holy Spirit. The real prayer warriors and intercessors, who are up against the battle of the evil one who tries continuously to break us down and divide our Power and Authority in the churches, but the gates of hell shall not prevail, Amen! Psalm 2 2:1 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? 2:2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against , and against his anointed, saying, 2:3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. 2:4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: shall have them in derision. 2:5 Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure. 2:6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion. 2:7 I will declare the decree: hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. 2:8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. 2:9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel. 2:10 Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth. 2:11 Serve with fear, and rejoice with trembling. 2:12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

D Collins

posted June 7, 2009 at 8:53 am

It sounds like Robert Sr cares more about esthetics and money than about leading people to Christ. Robert Jr was doing a great job and I really liked the new direction he was taking the church. I didn’t watch the show much until Jr started preaching. After Jr started preaching I began to like and watch the show. I am very sorry to see him leave.

John

posted June 7, 2009 at 9:20 am

From what I have read above in the comments, it seems that father and son would take the ministry in separate directions, neither of which would necessarily be wrong. This is so common that it is the most obvious explanation as to why the parting of the ways between them. No two leaders would take any one ministry in one direction. That is way a leader is in the singular.
If Junior is ever to return to the Hour of Power or the Crystal Cathedral as senior pastor, daddy has to call it a day as the pastor, take a deep breath and trust God to direct the ministry under new leadership.
It is not uncommon within denominational churches to discourage the previous pastor from making an appearance for the first few years after giving up the pulpit.

Don

posted June 15, 2009 at 1:00 pm

After having missed “The Hour of Power” for many months I returned about a month ago. I was disappointed that Robert A. was not present but I thought maybe he was just gone for the week. I continued to watch and became dismayed when there was no sign of him. I decided to check the web this afternoon to see if I could find some answers.
I am deeply disappointed by what I have learned. Reading all these postings tears at ones heart. I discovered Robert H. many years ago as a sales manager and trainer when I read many of his Positive Thinking books. I admired his skill and his commitment to God.
As I began watching the Hour of Power I found myself enjoying it more when Robert A. was preaching. He was more vibrant and more attuned to issues of these times. I am disappointed in both father and son. When you turn over the reigns of an organization you must do so willingly and understand that the personality of the new leader is going to be different and sometimes radically different. The Hour of Power and the Crystal Cathedral Ministries needed this radical thinking. Times in the church are changing and we need to appeal to the youth as they are the future of the church and if the church does not change it will die. Youth today are predisposed to turning their back on the church as they feel it is no longer relevant. So someone who appeals to them and can draw them in is the one who should be given the reigns.
I am disappointed in Robert A. for just giving up without a fight. I am sure he and his father love each other. They need to work together. Keeping the ministry of The Hour of Power alive is more important than their ego’s. I am sure Robert A. could be successful starting his own ministry but why? Why waste all those years. The Crystal Cathedral Ministries will die if they do not change. Robert A. is that promise.

posted June 21, 2009 at 7:47 am

I very much enjoyed Robert A and wife Donna, maybe because they are closer to my age and easy to understand. And I also liked the humor he would bring to the sermon. He would be funny and serious, which I’m sure God would not mind at all. I don’t watch any more.

debra

posted June 21, 2009 at 8:50 am

Does anyone know if Robert has a service anywhere? I’m not impressed with the new service and stop watching the Hour of Power. Not interested in guest speakers. I’m sure the church is struggling for funds, they need Robert back.

Ree

posted June 23, 2009 at 12:36 am

Blessings to you all. I believe I know what happened, for it happened while I was watching. I had quit watching Hour of Power long ago, for the there is to much compromise with the true gospel of Jesus Christ. However, one night, many months ago, I was channel surfing, and came across their program. I stopped for I saw a familiar face, yet, not familiar. There was a pale and very weak and sick looking man trying to speak and having a very difficult time. There was an O2 tube print on his left cheek. It was difficult for him to try to breathe and speak, but he persevered. Suddenly I knew he was Evel Kniveval (sp?) (Years ago, I used to pray for him). He became so weak that Robert Schuller SR. had to help hold him up. He had been saved and was giving his testimony. You could see that the audience was deeply moved. I supose that Schuller Sr. was still helping Evel, and Robert Jr. took over the service. He decided to give an altar call for all who wanted to be baptized. Almost every person in the congregation immediately left their seats and came forward. I had NEVER seen emotion like this at the Crystal Cathedral. It was an awesome and touching sight, as the people would come and each one embraced Robert Jr. and he embraced each of them and then baptized them. He became so overwhelmed with emotion that he turned his back to the camera and was weeping. He asked for his mic to be turned off. I know in my heart, soul, and spirit, that I saw The Holy Spirit engulf him and the people. I was beside myself with joy and thanksgiving to God. I told my pastor he had to find a replay and watch that. He did, and he saw what I saw. A few days ago, I informed him that the Schullers had split. Neither of us were suprised. I pray that, now, his father will call on God, in Truth, and be born again, and become a real believer in The Word of God. I hope we will all pray for that, and for the son to be courageous and to obey The Voice and leading of The Holy Spirit. I am so blessed by what I saw that day. God is good. And He is so very close., Even at the door.
eeg6bc

Karen

posted June 29, 2009 at 12:58 pm

As with so many others, I have watched the Hour Of Power for many years. It was my Church. I feel the father should step down and give his son the reins. I am sure his daughter is doing a good job but they need JR back to keep the viewers……..Please send me a email where I can watch JR ministry on TV as I am sure we will be seeing him soon right?
God Bless you

JOHN G

posted July 5, 2009 at 11:21 am

I think Robert Shuller Jr is a dynamic speaker and way better then is dad will ever be. I would travel the world just to go to his ministry I hpoe in the future he will have his own crystal cathedryl (God) will show him the way.

posted July 5, 2009 at 11:45 am

Like the comments before me I too was sad to find Robert Jr. gone and stopped watching. Jr.s preaching was alive and more real, he was not a stranger to the present public, he appealed to all generations. His word was in tune for the younger generation to get the message, as they need to hear the truth about our Lord and Savior more than ever. We will not be able to get thier attention with stiff neck preaching, we will loose them for good.
I pray that one day we will see Robert Jr. back and if not on the Hour of Power that we see him with his own service being held on TV for those of us that do not live in the area of his church.
May the Lord continue to bless you with the good works he has placed in you He has great plans for you. It is all in His timing.
A fighteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all. Psalm 34:19

Paul G

posted August 16, 2009 at 4:52 am

I have been a faithful hour of power watcher here in Europe (the Netherlands). I think Schuller Sr. deserves more credit. If he made this decision he must have had good reasons. We will probably never know what has caused and which are the divergences between him and his son, nor do we need to. All I know is that the sermons of Schuller Sr. and his books have been an inspiration to me and many other people.
In the Hour of Power broadcast in The Netherlands on the morning of July 26th 2009 (see: http://www.hourofpower.nl/video/26_juli_2009) Schuller gave a sermon (in the midst of the turmoil going on in the Schuller family and at the Crystal Cathedral), which I felt was sort of his ‘going away’ speech. The man knows the end of his life will come. So there must be a good reason that this was the sermon he chose to deliver.
Life is a lucky road, with good luck and bad luck. Still God blesses us anyhow. He knows how, when, and where we need it the most. God knows.
So let’s not focus on the Senior versus Junior matter but on this final message of faith.

posted August 19, 2009 at 2:16 am

I was always inspired by the senior. His sermons were uplifting, and boosted me at a very difficult time in my life. Unfortunately, the son lacks any life in his lectures. Dull, and without emotion, even if he had more of the gospel in his speech, I saw less of the Lord. Unfortunately,Sr. did not see this earlier. His blindness let this ministry run to the ground.

vicki valentin

posted August 30, 2009 at 9:53 am

EGO AND PRIDE … THAT IS WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT!!!! SHAME SHAME ON ALL OF YOU..
… ROBERT JR, IS AN EXCELLENT PREACHER…. MAYBE THE LORD WAS LEADING HIM IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION..

Robert Smith

posted October 14, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Robert Jr.used the word ‘Jesus’ too much, and that isn’t popular today, because it means talking about sin, repentance, and hell for all who disbelieve. Robert Sr. preached something everyone could enjoy, a more palatable religeous version. You could go to church every Sunday and never know how to get to heaven. Robert Jr.’s version brought in much less money, because it was less popular, hence, his father fired him. Its all about money and big business today. And to hell with everyone else, literally.

posted October 19, 2009 at 8:16 am

I do not know what you mean by URL.

Bob Young

posted November 20, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Robert Sr. may have brought in more money than his son but anytime you leave out the name of JESUS from your sermons, you are not preaching the tru gospel. It’s only because of the sacrifices of Gods son “JESUS” that we have salvation. Jesus said “I am the way & the light” z9aks7

Cheyne

posted December 6, 2009 at 12:05 pm

I’ve been wondering what happened – no mention weekly- I thought maybe Robt A fell ill or died! It was weird. Finally my brain kicked in and I found this post. It is a stange turn of events. I try to watch looking for some inspiration and although I think they are well intentioned, I really don’t care for the current format – and especially find it difficult to listen to Sheila. It may be in her genes, but I don’t think this is the venue for her. And God bless Robt Sr, as he is aging – I’m concerned about his ability to continue in this effort much longer. Without him I think the church will truely lose it’s identity. Guest speakers are fine but as a staple I don’t think it will sustain the ministry. Prayers to Robt A. as he finds himself and his calling. How very unfortunate to lose the one person he so respected in his life.

posted December 16, 2009 at 1:37 am

I think the Hour of Power is more about positive attitude then it is about embracing Jesus and this is probably why the message is popular. It makes sense that the parting of the Schuller’s was purely financial. But I was always inspired listening to Robert Sr speak because his passion that came from his years of struggle to grow his ministry. When Robert Sr handed the microphone over to junior I never was inspired by Robert Jr sermons because when you have it handed to you the passion is not there and his enthusiasm seemed as a facade.
Without Robert Sr I don’t see how the ministry will continue.

Missy

posted December 19, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I had been missing Robert, Jr. I will not listen to Sheila. Robert Jr. preached the true gospel, not just a positive outlook. He preached about sin, hell and heaven. A positive attitude gets noone to heaven and it will eventually get Hour of Power off the air. If Robert, Sr. feels Robert, Jr. mentioned Jesus too much, then he needs to read his Bible again and fall down on his knees and ask for reconciliation with his son. I could not listen to Robert, Sr. or the Hour of Power if this is really true that he feels this way about his son. No wonder gifts are dwindling. Who would support this program if he feels that way.

Missy

posted December 19, 2009 at 10:00 pm

sylvia pittman

posted January 3, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Many years ago when Robert Jr., first came to his father’s platform I noticed immediately that he emphasized the Gospel and I ‘saw’ a sort of estrangement between them. It appeared that there was a compromise after that and I think the balance would have worked because the Gospel is a positive message. I have not kept up with the program for many years but noticed lately that the daughter is now preaching. I appreciate the struggle that must have been happening but this ministry was based on a ‘positive thinking’ type ministry and perhaps
this is what keeps it going as opposed to a strict evangelical message. On the other hand, the ministry may be losing its srength because of the timing and economy and not because of the personalities involved. Each one for his own generation.

G sargent

posted January 10, 2010 at 11:21 am

I always liked to listen to the son, I found the father old school teaching and those days are past. If you want to reach the younger people ( wish I was in that catagory ) to have to be at a level that relates to them. I think every one should boycott the Crystal Cathedral.

S. Jeffrey

posted February 7, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I really miss Robert Jr. I really feel he is a spirit-filled man. It is sad that 2 men such as Robert Sr. and Robert Jr. can’t quietly overcome their differences. It is my hope that both men forgive one another and that Robert Jr. comes back to the podium soon.

posted February 12, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I miss Robert, Jr. I do not listen to Shelia. Where do Mrs. Schuller stand in this estrangement with her husband and son?

Tom

posted March 28, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Just noticed Robt Jr missing this morning on the church hour. I’m from the older generation, but got a postive message from Robt Jr.. Time for senior to open his arms in love for his son. Were all just humans guys, and subject to error, least a sister be reminded also. Not a good place for family discontent , but rather a forgiving heart if this be the case. In Peace to all.

Kiwi

posted April 11, 2010 at 12:31 pm

This all started a couple of weeks after Robert Junior had an alter call and many people did go up — this seemed to be too much for Robert Senior who I believe wants his church to be more seeker (more softer to the masses) instead Robert Junior is more bible based preacher. Both have their places – in this case the compromise in the end did not work.

WIlliam Harris

posted April 19, 2010 at 2:58 pm

It is unfortunate that this wonderful family can’t come to an agreement. As a follower of The Hour of Power for 40 years now, I see the show ending with Shiela in charge. She talks to everyone like they are children. I have been very uncomfortable sitting through the service every week, since Robert Jr. left…In our prayers always….

Liz

posted April 25, 2010 at 2:48 pm

As my dying son said to me life is too short to hold grudges
How can a Father and son preach when they are not able to come to an agreement Not a very good example of showing forgivenes

sherry graj

posted May 1, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I am so proud of Sheila. She is doing a fantastic job. Man, what a heart for the Lord, puts a lot of people to shame. Can you see her heart. She is so doing God’s will, and I love to hear her, she puts the cookies down on the table for old and young alike. ” Well done thou good and faithful servant.” I am in ministry too, it is not easy, that message on Job…………….WONDERFUL……KEEP IT UP SHEILA!!!! YOU ONLY ANSWER TO THE HEAVENLY FATHER.

Yvonne Thompson

posted May 2, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I too was a follower of Robert Sr and was sad when he retired and handed things over to his son. I thought I would never get used to it but soon junior rubbed off on me and I liked him and his style. He did preach more from the bible and all of a sudden, I did not know what happened and he was gone. Then Sheila came in and took over. I have seen how he has lost most of his flock. I think Senior is going to watch his church dwindle. Sheila preaches like you were in Sunday school class. Like we are little kids. I am now searching for another church and was trying to find Robert Jr and cannot find a trace of him except the old news articles from 2009. If anyone knows out there, let me know.
Yvonne

anne

posted May 22, 2010 at 11:41 pm

I am so very very saddened by what happened to Robert Schuller Jr it is the first time I watched the pogram on a regular basis,I saw people being prayed for and baptized,Robert Jr’s messages were such a inspiration and a blessing he preached the word of God from the Bible,and he really reached and touched the lives of people in the congregation. Something never I saw his father do. How very,very sad it is that he was let go for preaching the word of God instead of the positive thinking message founded by man…I would never suppport Sr Schuller,but was really considering supporting his son with dontations to the minsitry So very very sad that he was ousted for being faithful to God instead of man.

Marie Constant

posted June 5, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I don’t know what the problem is between Robert Schuller and his son, but it’s really too bad. I love hearing Robert Schuller preach. He really brightens my day when I listen to him….and that’s right before I go to church. I’m Catholic, and our church stress on forgiveness and understanding. I can’t believe these two men cannot resolve their differences. Do they believe in what they preach? We look up to these men for guidance and when they cannot resolve their differences, they let us down. I know they’re human like us, however, they those a path to guide God’s people and they’re failing us. Anyway, I hope and pray that God will give them the strength and wisdom and the courage they need to find their ways. May God be with them.

Amy

posted July 12, 2010 at 11:18 am

“Be not unequally yoked” When Schuller senior came to California, he stated in the Santa Ana Register, “I am going to give the people what THEY want to hear”—-“Born Again people make me nervous”. Senior preached New Age, happy, happy! Robert Junior preaches from God’s Word, the Holy Bible. The two are miles apart.

Larry

posted August 13, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I too enjoy Robert Shuller Jr talks to the church. It is too bad that Robert Sr could not let go. But I do belive that the church under Shelia Coleman Shuller will end up destory the church that her father founded 50 years plus ago. Maybe the Preacher in south Orange Co that a friend told me about, when end up owning the property.

Collin Fieguth

posted August 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm

It is my perception that the differences between father and son is that Robert Jr preached more from the Word and what is wrong with that? I certainly appreciated the messages that Jr gave and wish and pray that father and son can reconcile their differences and bring Robert Jr back.

Toni Markelewicz

posted September 5, 2010 at 8:32 am

I always looked forward to watching the Hour of Power on Sunday mornings. I am a Catholic and I found Robert Jr to be very insping. I have tried to watch the program at various times even as late as this morning. I am sorry that father and son cannot resolve their differences. I used to watch Robert Jr. each Sunday and regret that he is no longer the leader of the Crystal Cathedral. Pastor Schuler Sr. has always preached forgiveness, love and acceptance. Is there no way to resolve these differences? The Holy Spirit speaks to all of us in different ways and each of us has gift to share. Pastor Schuler, please reconcile with your son. The Hour of Power is a great ministry but I fear it will lose ground. Folks come to church to be inspired…not to be entertained. God bless: Sister Mary Thaddeus Markelewicz

J. D. Barnes

posted September 11, 2010 at 8:19 pm

How pathetic that Dr.Bob Sr. can’t seem to practice what he preaches…
I used to enjoy listening to the Hour of Power while getting ready for my own church, but now it’s just not the same. Daughter Sheila is a nice lady, but does not begin to have the strengths or carisma of her Dad or Brother. Robert Jr. needs to come back or I’m afraid the ministry won’t survive…
What a shame the Church’s best interest is not a consideration, only ego’s. Maybe Robert Junior was headed in a better direction…more Biblical messages and less “feel good” stuff. A little humility here might be a giod start…

David Moore

posted October 18, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I personally loved Robert S. Jr. I really liked his style and I liked and related to his message. AS a Christian I have really tried to listen to Sheila and like her, but for some reason I just cannot relate to her. She seems very demanding, and I would guess that she had something to do with Jr. Departure. If they can bring Jr. back I think the ministry has a chance to make it, if not I am worried.

Donna L

posted October 18, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I am Catholic and still try to watch the Hour of Power every week. I really think Robert Jr. struggled at the beginning to fill his father’s shoes but he won me over. I don’t know if sister Sheila, although a nice, sincere person, can do the same.

Michael Ainsworth

posted October 18, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I would like all to take a moment and reflect on what Jesus would say. We all have to make our own decisions and follow what is in are heart.
Please let us not judge, but listen to our Lord Jesus and follow his direction as we perceive his presence in our minds and heart. He will lead us to the true light of our Father. Don’t let man or woman dictate this is, but what God has put in your heart. I do not judge what this congregation and its leaders have decided as to who will lead. I simply let the word of God show me the way. All response is welcome and can be addressed at my e-mail michael_a80918@yahoo.com.

Carol M

posted October 19, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Our family loved watching the Hour of Power – then it seemed like the whole service became a commercial for Money etc…and began selling things…Asking for donations is fine, however we can get along fine with out them offering gifts as bribes to send donations. Secondly, I truly love Robert Jrs. Preaching to the people – he got the message across, but when he start letting his wife preach also, we lost interest, and then all of a sudden Robert Jr Disappeared and Robert Sr Daughter took over, and that was the end of it for our family, we no longer watch program at all….I feel unless they bring Robert Jr back the show is done for ever…..We are also staunch Catholics….

Your Name Trish

posted October 25, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I liked the elder Schuller. Jr, was a bit boring in his delivery and seemed to lack the intensity and clarity of his dad. As far as “feel good stuff” That is not a bad thing to have to balance out all the feel bad stuff in the world. The idea is to teach and encourage-which the dad did. Jr tried and maybe he felt a bit daunted by his dad’s shadow.Haven’t watched the show since a few times with Jr and always preferred Dad’s style and take on things. Jr may have “gotten it” given some time, since I’m sure his dad wasn’t as good when he started either. People weren’t as demanding then either.

Phyllis

posted April 24, 2011 at 8:58 am

I quit watching Hour of Power when the “Jr. Schuller” starting preaching. Too arrogant for me. I am now watching and enjoying the program again and donating again to the ministry.

Richie

posted January 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I’ve seen/heard JR lead the service and I thought he is a good successor to Rev.Schuller Sr. Now HOP is gone and CC bankrupt, proof that a bad decision was made. I was looking forward to seeing more of JR turn CC back alive. oh well.

Eugenie

posted April 8, 2012 at 9:05 am

I miss Shelia Schuller Coleman. I also miss the choior that sang with her services. her way of preaching gave a lift of life. the service attracted young and old. I enjoyed the change of the music. now I see that she is no longer on the pulpit. I am so sorry because the change seems to drag on. it’s not as up lifting as it was with Sheila. no matter what went on with the couilmsn (persons)place your bitterness aside and inform Sheila Suhuller Coleman she is missed and her T.V. choir. God bless her and her family.