Red Letters

Red Letters

You Will Not Believe What Happened

posted by Tom Davis

Updated: December 7, 2011

This is one of my absolute favorite stories of the past few years. A group of people stood up and acted to stop sex trafficking. Out of this, another couple joined Change Their Story 2010 and raised several thousand dollars. If you are moved by this story, I invite you to give again to invest your gifts in preventing sex trafficking. If you are moved by this story, please make a gift this Christmas.

>>GIVE TO CHANGE THEIR STORY TODAY<<

Original Post: October 6, 2010

I had the privilege of speaking at the Together for Adoption conference this past weekend. Something happened at the end of my session that I’ve never seen before. My new friend Kristen from wearethatfamily.com says it better than I can. She was in the room.

I was late.

So, I slipped into the back of the crowded room and crouched on the floor.

I couldn’t see the face of speaker, Tom Davis, CEO of Children’s Hope Chest at the Together for Adoption Breakout Q&A Session. But it didn’t matter, his words still pierced.

He is a modern-day abolishionist, rescuing young girls from the terrifying grips of sex slavery. Every minute a child in our world is trafficked. Every minute.

I listened as he answered questions about the unbelievable life these girls lead, most servicing a dozen or more men every day and the dangerous covert rescue operations that his organization orchestrates with the local police.

It was terrible and beautiful to hear.

One of the questions: “How many girls do you know about that need to be rescued right now?”

Tom Davis: “Three. It costs about $2000.00 per rescue.”

He went on to describe the safe house the girls are taken to and the elaborate process of rehabilitation.

It was time for the session to end. As Tom shared his final thoughts, a man from the crowd pressed towards the front. He was nervous as he spoke, but their was authority and anointing behind his words, “I don’t know Tom Davis and his associate. I don’t know any of you. But I know there are about 80 people in this room. And there are 3 girls who are in slavery, being forced into the unthinkable, waiting to be rescued. If we all gave $30 each, we would have enough money to rescue one of them right now. My company will match whatever is given today,” he urged in the hushed room.

Tom Davis concluded the session with prayer.

My own tears splashed onto my $30 check as I ripped it from the checkbook. The room was noisy with silent tears and generosity.

Within minutes the table at the front of the room looked like this:

On my own, I couldn’t rescue a girl being sex trafficked. But my small check added to 79 others, makes a powerful impact.

It’s the power of working together for the cause of Christ. It’s ordinary mixed with God’s extra.

It’s taking 3 minutes to pray for the 3 girls raped every 45 minutes in Kenya. It’s giving $3 a month.

That off-the-cuff gesture by one man listening to the urging in his inner man didn’t raise enough money to rescue one girl or three.

That pile of money will rescue six girls being sex trafficked. Six!

Don’t underestimate the power of doing something, even when it seems insignificant. Don’t think that your small gesture doesn’t matter. Don’t let the opportunity pass to make a difference in the life of someone today.

Elizabeth

posted October 6, 2010 at 10:46 am

This was an AMAZING moment, and I will NOT ever forget it!!!
Now, to find some of those voices to help me with my sponsorship to raise $2500 by Oct 22nd to rescue 2 girls. I know that God is going to provide at least that much if not more. Look what HE did in your breakout session. A M A Z I N G!! Our God is in CHARGE of EVERYTHING!!

Laura McElheny Gillian

posted October 6, 2010 at 11:00 am

This is so encouraging! What a blessing!!!

Layla Payton

posted October 6, 2010 at 11:19 am

The Holy Spirit was definitely in that room. I truly believe what we saw was a miracle, and a moment that I will never forget. I feel like that took me from being on the edge, to falling off the cliff. I was already wondering HOW I should jump in. After that, I didn’t care anymore. I just knew that God was BEYOND capable, and however He wants me to fight in this battle, HE will provide the way. I am praying and looking forward to whatever He has in store. I am here…send me. What we all saw as impossible, God saw as effortless. You cannot limit His resources, love, or power. Thank you, God for putting me in that room (I was supposed to be in another class). Thank you, Tom, and Vince, for following God’s call. It’s through your voices, and experiences, that God is raising up an army. To HIM be the glory!

abby

posted October 6, 2010 at 11:50 am

Awesome!!! Praise God for His generosity and kindness- this made me think of His promise:
“Instead of their shame my people will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace they will rejoice in their inheritance; and so they will inherit a double portion in their land, and everlasting joy will be theirs” (Isaiah 61:7)
Thanks to God for doubling this effort and bringing hope and restoration. He is so good.

Kirsten V.

posted October 6, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Wow…. reading that gave me the chills. God is great! Keep pressing on!

Sex Trafficking Must End

posted October 6, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Those moments where money literally flies out of our pockets are amazing. Thanks for sharing this story, what an encouragement!
Michelle

Holly

posted October 6, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I wasn’t there but heard about it from my friend Laurie who was.
These words are powerful. What we need what we really really NEED is revival. We need to allow the heart of God to literally beat within our chests. Then and only then will we begin to truly do the work He has called us to do…not for the sake of doing good works, not for the sake of checking the box, doing the “right thing” or even to impress new friends or acquaintances, but because we FEEL the heart of Abba Father for HIS children. Poverty, traficking, orphans, AIDS crisis- they all SEEM to big and too overwhelming for us to do ANYTHING about. But just like in this example, when we all come together…the body of Christ in action…each part doing what He created us to do… HUGE things happen!
We must NOT allow the enormity of the needs to keep us from doing something! We have been wringing our hands, shaking our heads and clucking our tongues for too long!
Praise God that because of one man’s courage in that moment, SIX lives were able to be transformed.
That life could have been mine or even yours.
Thank you again for sharing this inspiring example of what IS possible when there is unity…when we share the heart of the Father.
Blessings,
Holly

Allison

posted October 6, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I was so blessed to be able to be in that room, as well. It was unforgettable, because although it was so painful to hear the truth about what is happening to those precious girls, there was no denying the presence of God. And that confirms to me that even in the midst of sorrow and tragedy, He is real and He is powerful. Thank you to Tom and Vince for being such a beautiful picture of Jesus to those girls and for equipping us to be able to follow your example. And, as I said to the brave man that day, “thank you for being obedient to His voice…”.

Jenny Needham

posted October 6, 2010 at 5:04 pm

WOW…so inspiring! This post just brought me to tears!

Mike Ruman

posted October 6, 2010 at 6:18 pm

That just gave me chills. Thank God for the courage of that man to step up and say what he did. Encouraging.

Leah

posted October 6, 2010 at 9:40 pm

thank you so much for sharing this story. what an incredible example of how a small act, made together, can make a huge impact! may God’s name continue to be made famous through your ministry!

Anna

posted October 7, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Oh my goodness! I was at this conference and at this session and felt so blessed to experience what happened. I praise God for the man that stood up and called God’s people to action! I praise God that my sister had given me cash for something the day before (I always just have plastic in my wallet)! God ordains. He loves those girls. They are His daughters. HE will provide for their rescue. I am just thankful I got to be a part. Our God is great!

Natalie

posted October 8, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I too was in the room and listening to Tom and Vince speak of the horrible things that have and ARE happening at this very moment while we are all in this warm room made me cringe with disgust and anger…WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING! It was amazing to see someone had the courge to stand and say what I had been thinking! To find out that we had fund for six girls, made my sob with relief!
Truly amazing!!

More Blogs to Enjoy!!
Thank you for visiting Red Letters. This blog is no longer being updated. Please  enjoy the archives. Also, here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Activist Faith Is It the End of the World

posted 9:51:43am May. 29, 2013 | read full post »

Download SCARED for free on Nov. 1 & 2!
The publisher of Scared is giving away free e-book downloads on November 1 & 2. Don't miss this great deal. Download Scared today! Download your free Scared e-book! A Note from the Author: Tom Davis Scared is a work of fiction, but the world and life stories described in the book

posted 5:05:29am Nov. 01, 2012 | read full post »

Touching the Image of Jesus: Part 3
In the final chapter of Alexandra's story, she shares what happened when she boarded the plane for Swaziland with her teammates. This post is a little longer, but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to put it down. Thank you again, Alexandra, for sharing your heart and story with all of us. Fol

posted 9:50:18am Sep. 13, 2012 | read full post »

Touching the Image of Jesus: Part 2
When we left Alexandra, she was wondering how she was going to raise $3,411 to travel across the world with a group of Christians she didn't know. She wasn't a Christian and had no church. But she did feel deeply compelled to get on this trip to the Ludlati CarePoint. So she decided to enter a

posted 4:17:01pm Sep. 10, 2012 | read full post »

Touching the Image of Jesus: Part 1
[caption id="attachment_2722" align="alignright" width="300"] Alexandra, looking ready.[/caption] Sometimes there's a lot more going on than we can see with our physical eyes. At least, that appears true in the case of Alexandra Warwick. I first introduced you to Alexandra in this post, Reje

posted 11:01:13am Sep. 06, 2012 | read full post »