Red Letters

Red Letters

The True “Horror”

posted by Tom Davis

Today marks the release of Orphan, or as the Washington Post referred to it, a:

"depraved, worthless piece of filth…a high-gloss horror show about a well-meaning couple who bring home a 9-year-old girl to join their family, only to discover, way too late, that she's a homicidal psychopath."

The widespread criticism of Orphan is showing up in both the mainstream media (New York Times, New York Times 2) and also in Christian news sources as well. (See Orphans Deserve Better)

The true horror, as pointed out by the Orphans Deserve Better site, is not the Hollywood over-hyped stereotype of an adoption gone homicidially off the rails. There's ample evidence on both sides of the older orphan adoption discussion, and I think all would agree that this movie doesn't help the 150 million children without families.

That's the real horror.

If you want a good horror story about orphans, I've got plenty that will turn your stomach and wrench your heart. Imagine, for a moment, the impact that the film's producers could have had by investing the film's budget in cleaning up some of the real horrors facing orphaned kids today.

Now that's a film I'd pay to see.

Jamie Arpin-Ricci

posted July 24, 2009 at 8:10 am

When I first saw the trailer for “Orphan” I was appalled. One of the sliver linings has been how strongly people are reacting against it. As someone in the midst of adopting an orphan, I fume at the thought of this pop-culture drivel informing other neighbourhood kids about what an orphan is. However, as you say, it is the greater horror faced by countless orphans daily that needs to be addressed. Thanks for all you do, brother!
Peace,
Jamie

Jennifer Thompson

posted July 24, 2009 at 8:54 am

So true! I was appalled to hear what the movie is about and hope that my staff will not see it. We’ve made such strides here in changing the perception of adoption, that I’d hate for staff or friends to go back to their old ideas of “adoption is a bad idea”.
(Can’t wait to read your new book! I hope to be in the states at the end of the year and will pick it up then.)
Jennifer from Bolivia

carolesturner

posted July 24, 2009 at 9:13 am

I haven’t said anything about the movie because I really feel that it will bomb and people who see horror movies will see this one no matter what. SO, I didn’t want to give it even bad publicity.
I like what you said.

phil cunningham

posted July 24, 2009 at 9:28 am

Yea, I hear ya Tom. I saw the preview yesterday and was just blown away and appalled. It just seems to go along with typical Hollywood in that it is taking something and making the worst out of it to sell tickets, but you are right, I would much rather, and would think that most people would want to pay to see a story of hope, not of disaster.
I kept thinking when I saw the preview of “true religion is taking care of orphans and widows in distress.”

Sandra

posted July 24, 2009 at 9:47 am

Well said, Tom. I’m disgusted by it too.

stella

posted July 24, 2009 at 12:34 pm

we may be writing to the converted here, and we probably are, but anyway, please see the link >

Rebecca

posted July 24, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Excellent point about spending those millions of helping orphans. Our system is so turned around. So sad.

Saira

posted July 24, 2009 at 10:57 pm

I COMPLETELY AGREE!

Saira

posted July 24, 2009 at 11:00 pm

I Strongly agree with this Tom! thank you so much for what you do.
i even posted it as a “note” on facebook because i wanted my friends to see this truth unfold too.
i despise horror movies and this one even more so because its completely twisted.

Tom Davis

posted July 29, 2009 at 10:58 am

Love these stories. You all are so inspiring! Thanks for sharing. We’re up to about 100 blog posts that we know of!

Sarah

posted August 1, 2009 at 12:25 am

Hey, Tom. I too was disgusted by the whole idea of this film and have blogged about how our girls have changed our lives – for the better! – in response. Thanks for taking the lead on this! We stand with you in working to end the global orphan crisis.

More Blogs to Enjoy!!
Thank you for visiting Red Letters. This blog is no longer being updated. Please  enjoy the archives. Also, here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Activist Faith Is It the End of the World

posted 9:51:43am May. 29, 2013 | read full post »

Download SCARED for free on Nov. 1 & 2!
The publisher of Scared is giving away free e-book downloads on November 1 & 2. Don't miss this great deal. Download Scared today! Download your free Scared e-book! A Note from the Author: Tom Davis Scared is a work of fiction, but the world and life stories described in the book

posted 5:05:29am Nov. 01, 2012 | read full post »

Touching the Image of Jesus: Part 3
In the final chapter of Alexandra's story, she shares what happened when she boarded the plane for Swaziland with her teammates. This post is a little longer, but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to put it down. Thank you again, Alexandra, for sharing your heart and story with all of us. Fol

posted 9:50:18am Sep. 13, 2012 | read full post »

Touching the Image of Jesus: Part 2
When we left Alexandra, she was wondering how she was going to raise $3,411 to travel across the world with a group of Christians she didn't know. She wasn't a Christian and had no church. But she did feel deeply compelled to get on this trip to the Ludlati CarePoint. So she decided to enter a

posted 4:17:01pm Sep. 10, 2012 | read full post »

Touching the Image of Jesus: Part 1
[caption id="attachment_2722" align="alignright" width="300"] Alexandra, looking ready.[/caption] Sometimes there's a lot more going on than we can see with our physical eyes. At least, that appears true in the case of Alexandra Warwick. I first introduced you to Alexandra in this post, Reje

posted 11:01:13am Sep. 06, 2012 | read full post »