Project Conversion

Project Conversion

Wrapping up Social Issues Week

posted by

I’ll be honest, this has been one of the hardest weeks of Project Conversion thus far. This month in and of itself is filled with learning curves, lessons learned, and unexpected realizations (more on that next week), but the emotional charge carried by this month’s Social Issues Week has left me drained and humbled.

I’ve become so close to the people of this faith, and while I’d love to take credit for that connection, it has been the Baha’is who have reached out to me. The number of emails and comments I’ve received regarding Baha’i persecution–just in Iran–is staggering. The Baha’i community may be small compared to their older spiritual brethren, but each individual member is a steel poll in the scaffolding that is the Baha’i Faith. I was embraced and thanked for my exposure of this serious issue. It didn’t matter that I’m not technically “one of them”, because as so many Baha’i have told me, the situation in Iran isn’t just a Baha’i issue, but one for humanity. Indeed, when Baha’is serve their communities, it isn’t with the goal of converting their neighbors, but to help their neighbors help themselves.

Of course, there are more social issues within the Baha’i Faith that I simply cannot cover due to time constraints. But the point is to introduce you to these issues so that you might take the torch from my hand and run on your own. I’ve suggested writing to members of our government, starting an interfaith discussion, attending a Baha’i Study Circle, and others, but there is always more. What can you do in your community to improve the lives of others? That’s a social issue that transcends religion and yet, is the common thread within them all.

I’ll close today with a few links to Baha’i-related news regarding persecution that some of Project Conversion’s audience members have sent in. Allah-u-Abha, and have a blessed week.

Professor Abbas Milani on the arrest of seven Baha’i leaders in Iran.

A story of Baha’i grace and perseverance while in prison for their faith.

Anonymous

posted May 2, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Always nice to hear from my Baha’i friends. I’m glad that your own journey was fruitful. Peace!

Ina

posted May 1, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Thank you Andrew.
I came upon your blog only today after receiving an article from Inspiration for Baha’i Teaching.
It is a rather unique project and I’m gonna b talking about it.
Many of us before embracing the Bahai Faith went trough a similar journey of investigating other religions and spiritual teachings but you are doing the whole 9 yards and something truly unique. Sure, when I was making my spiritual due diligence I never suspected I’ll choose the Bahai Faith as my path…will be interesting to see what happens at the end of your year long journey and it you will choose a path…
warmest love and wishes

Pingback: Project Conversion: 12 Faiths In 12 Months – Bahá’í Faith

Pingback: Project Conversion: 12 Faiths In 12 Months – Bahá’í Faith

Anonymous

posted February 21, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Thank you for this wonderful prayer!

Anonymous

posted February 21, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Thank you for this wonderful prayer!

Sharon Marnell

posted February 21, 2011 at 7:44 am

Dear Andrew, I am loving your all embracing journey through the faiths. Thank you for this service. In my daily reading this morning I came upon this prayer which addresses the social issue of those of faith in Iran, and thought I would share it.

O God, my God! Thou seest Thy loved ones turning their hearts to Thee, and holding fast onto the cord of Thy ordinances and laws. I beseech thee by the waves of the sea of Thine utterance, and by Him through whom Thou didst adorn the heavens of Thy might, to graciously protect them by the aid of Thy hosts.

O God! Thou beholdest Thy lovers in Írán in the clutches of hate and enmity. I beg of Thee, by Thy mercy which hath preceded the contingent world, to raise up from the earth those who will be moved to aid and protect them, and to preserve their rights and the restitution due to them by those who broke Thy Covenant and Testament, and perpetrated such acts as made the inmates of the cities of Thy justice and equity to lament. Thou art, verily, the All-Powerful, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.

Warm regards,

Sharon

Sharon Marnell

posted February 21, 2011 at 7:44 am

Warm regards,

Sharon

Anonymous

posted February 20, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Thank you for this.

Anonymous

posted February 20, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Thank you for this.

asterias

posted February 20, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Blessings to you, Andrew. As you’ve no doubt realized this month, for us there is no “them”, only “us.” You and every soul on the planet are indeed one of us.

For you and those who follow your blog, here are some videos that will convey even more poignantly, I think, the kind of persecution these dear souls endure, with dignity and with love: http://section209.com/ Watch the last video first and work your way to the one at the top last.

asterias