On December 7, Faith in Public Life released a statement condemning the anti-gay bill in the Ugandan Parliament that submits homosexuals to draconian punishments for their “crimes.” Sadly, many prominent Christians have refused to speak out against the human rights abuses enshrined in the legislation. Faith in Public Life, however, produced an eloquent statement on Christian responsibility in the face of oppression–and gathered an impressive, inclusive, and diverse list of signers to support their plea to treat homosexual persons with dignity and respect. Despite how fractured the faith community can be, this statement shows that Jesus’ call to love our neighbor as ourselves can unite Christians in the face of moral evil.
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Progressive RevivalDiana Butler Bass and Paul Raushenbush both stand firmly within the Mainline Protestant tradition and, along with guest bloggers of all religious backgrounds are dedicated to the revival of religious progressivism and its influence in American politics.
ContributorsDiana Butler Bass
Diana Butler Bass is a commentator and scholar in American religion. She is the author of seven books including A People's History of Christianity: The Other Side of the Story (HarperOne, 2009).
» Posts by Diana Butler Bass
- More blogs to enjoy!!!
- Why Jews Around the World are Praying for the Victory of the Egyptian Uprising
- When Generosity, Love, and Kindness are Public Policy, the Violence We Saw in Arizona will Dramatically Diminish
- The Spiritual Messages of Chanukah and Christmas — and Their Downsides
- Obama (and Biden) Have No Clue About What’s Bothering Their Political Base
- Values or Partisanship? TV Ad calls out Graham for caving on climate
- American Liberals and Progressive Never Miss an Opportunity to Miss an Opportunity — or Are We ready to Change Directions
- After Attack on Rabbi Lerner’s Home: What you Can do to Help?
- FOX NEWS Funds Research to Discredit Progressive Pastors
- The On-Going Call for Justice in Vieques