It is not often that one comes across a way to approach the abortion debate that is new…so imagine my surprise and delight when I read the challenging piece on faithfuldemocrats.com that raised theological questions about this debate I had never heard nor considered. Democrats and progressives have been making significant strides by focusing our messaging around abortion reduction (click here to listen to the ad playing on Christian radio during the March for Life in DC), which moves the debate onto more fertile rhetorical and policy grounds. But this post is neither strategic nor polemic but mere thoughtful and questioning. It is well worth the 2 minutes it will take to read…and then the good bit more time you will take pondering the points afterward. Beyond the abortion debate, it raises important questions (that require struggle as opposed to simple answers) about the grey area people of faith enter when they try to faithful utilize the sword of the state. Click here to read the post.
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Progressive RevivalDiana Butler Bass and Paul Raushenbush both stand firmly within the Mainline Protestant tradition and, along with guest bloggers of all religious backgrounds are dedicated to the revival of religious progressivism and its influence in American politics.
ContributorsDiana Butler Bass
Diana Butler Bass is a commentator and scholar in American religion. She is the author of seven books including A People's History of Christianity: The Other Side of the Story (HarperOne, 2009).
» Posts by Diana Butler Bass
- More blogs to enjoy!!!
- Why Jews Around the World are Praying for the Victory of the Egyptian Uprising
- When Generosity, Love, and Kindness are Public Policy, the Violence We Saw in Arizona will Dramatically Diminish
- The Spiritual Messages of Chanukah and Christmas — and Their Downsides
- Obama (and Biden) Have No Clue About What’s Bothering Their Political Base
- Values or Partisanship? TV Ad calls out Graham for caving on climate
- American Liberals and Progressive Never Miss an Opportunity to Miss an Opportunity — or Are We ready to Change Directions
- After Attack on Rabbi Lerner’s Home: What you Can do to Help?
- FOX NEWS Funds Research to Discredit Progressive Pastors
- The On-Going Call for Justice in Vieques