Progressive Revival

Progressive Revival

The Racist Threat to Obama: Bigotry in the Head vs. the Polling Place

posted by Leonard Fein

Plainly, no one can confidently predict how large a factor racist attitudes will play in the November presidential election.  In the privacy of the voting booth, people’s fears and prejudices may be more powerful than the marked (and widely documented) shifts in both American law and American culture these last 40 years or so.  How can they be persuaded to act on their best instincts and not their basest?

Here, it is well to recall that part of Jimmy Carter’s famous Playboy interview of 1976 that almost derailed his campaign:

The Bible says, “Thou shalt not commit adultery.” Christ said, I tell you that anyone who looks on a woman with lust has in his heart already committed adultery. I’ve looked on a lot of women with lust. I’ve committed adultery in my heart many times…. This is something that God recognizes, that I will do and have done, and God forgives me for it.

The significance of Carter’s words goes well beyond their role in an election.  What Carter was saying, I believe, is that all of us have lust in our hearts.  The only relevant question we are entitled to ask is whether we act on that lust or keep it  in check.  The only demand we are entitled to make of ourselves as of others is that we not behave lustfully.

Any effort to persuade voters who are bigots that they are morally wanting is likely to fail.  If they’ve not long since gotten that message, the hope that they will at this late date experience attitudinal change is almost surely misplaced.

It will be difficult to refrain from condemnation, but useless to engage in it.  What we can say to such people, quite explicitly, is that they are entitled to their private sentiments – but that they are not permitted to let those sentiments determine their vote.  There’s a huge difference between lust in the heart and lust in the public square; there’s as great a difference between bigotry in the head and bigotry in the polling place.

rlb1961

posted July 31, 2008 at 3:52 pm

In the same way we should discourage anyone from voting against Obama based on his race, we should just as forefully discourage anyone from voting FOR Obama because of his race. Although it might be exciting to be a part of history to vote for the first black president, to do so for that reason only is just as racist as to vote against him because he’s black.

Mel

posted July 31, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Leonard Fein:
Yours has got to be one of the most insulting posts to be encountered on this new blog organized by beliefnet. One can only be embarrassed for you.
The latest polling data indicate that more than half of the registered voters in this country either are planning to vote for McCain or are undecided. A lot of my friends are undecided.
Does that mean they are racist — or only the white, Asian and Hispanic among them?
Does pointing a supercilious and accusatory finger at all the voters supporting a different candidate — or who simply harbor doubts about voting for Obama instead of Nader, McCain or Barr — make you feel better?
Can’t you think of something more interesting — more original — to say? This meme got stale a long time ago.

Reaganite in NYC

posted July 31, 2008 at 4:28 pm

The irony is that Barack Obama is the one stoking racism by drawing attention to his skin color. Just yesterday, it was Obama who claimed Republicans will try to scare voters by saying he “doesn’t look like all those other presidents on the dollar bill.”
In Berlin last week, he opened his speech with the comment that he looked different from previous American representatives who had spoken in Berlin (although he forgot about former Secretary of State Colin Power and current Secretary of State Dr. Rice).
A month ago, at a fundraiser, he mocked white voters uncertain of their vote. He described an imaginary conversation among white voters discussing the Obama candidacy and concluded (to great applause) with this line, “Did I mention that he’s black?”
Obama and his most ardent supporters are trying to have it both ways:
(1) play the race card; and,
(2) simultaneously condemn presumed “racism” on the part of undecided voters and those voting for someone other than Obama (McCain, Nader, Barr).

Paul Shiras

posted July 31, 2008 at 4:31 pm

According to the latest ad, Obama is a Drug addled air-head. AKA the same as Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. That kind of vile treatment is just as bad as the implied racism that exists on the Internet.

DonF

posted July 31, 2008 at 6:24 pm

I was in the doctor’s office the other day, waiting for my appointment. The radio had a news report of Obama’s trip to Afghanistan. Imagine my surprise as I was listening to this report and the woman (who happened to be white and I am assuming near my age) sitting next to me made the following statement under her breath.
“I ain’t voting for no nigger…are you?”
I simply looked at her, unable to respond to such open racism. When she did not get the knowing look she was expecting, she put her nose in the air and pointedly moved to a seat across the room. To be honest, I was very glad she did.
Reaganite, in spite of your loud protestations, there are people who will walk into the voting booth on election day and vote against Obama primarily because of the color of his skin. This is a fact, and that is what Leonard Fein was talking about in his post above. Nowhere does he say that all opposition to Obama is based on race. Nowhere does he say that all opposition to Obama is based on fear.
But my experience with this woman in a waiting room the other day certainly bears out his premise…there are some, we do not know how many, who will never vote for a “nigger”. Your protestations do not change that.

Rob

posted July 31, 2008 at 10:17 pm

“It will be difficult to refrain from condemnation, but useless to engage in it. What we can say to such people, quite explicitly, is that they are entitled to their private sentiments – but that they are not permitted to let those sentiments determine their vote.”
What planet do you live on?
Not only are voters entitled to their private sentiments, they are very much entitled to let those sentiments, good, bad, or indifferent, determine their vote. You manage to be both knuckleheaded and arrogant in the same post. With supporters such as Leonard Fein, Obama needs no more enemies.

Jay

posted July 31, 2008 at 10:21 pm

“For McCain’s part, how about all the gratuitous comments that have been made about his age? Perhaps you should have written about “The Ageist Threat to McCain.”
Oh yes, I too remember the time in this country when elderly people were enslaved, lynched, forced to drink out different water fountains…
Both are wrong, but seriously, one of these things is not like the other.

Leonard Fein

posted July 31, 2008 at 11:23 pm

Jay: A time in this country when elderly people were lynched and made to drink out of different water fountains? I’ve been around for a while, never experienced that, never heard about it. When? Where?
Rob: Sorry, no. The whole point of living in a free and pluralistic society is that in the public square we accept the Other. I may “know” that mine is the right way, even the only true way — but in the public square, I am bound to behave AS IF the other may be right. That’s the fundamental rule of the game. The polling place is, at the same time, an interesting venue –it is both public and private simultaneously. For that reason, perhaps my use of the words “entitled” and “permitted” was inexact. Perhaps the appeal has to be to that sense of civic virtue we believe everyone has, to one degree or another. What kind of America do we endorse, and seek? One where we are all connected to one another, all dependent on one another — or the kind that some apparently prefer — an America of inherited privilege, of impermeable barriers, of caste. Or, to put it a bit differently — an America where disagreement leads immediately to dismissive insult.
Leonard Fein

Reaganite in NYC

posted August 1, 2008 at 12:28 am

Leonard Fein apparently is parroting the latest Obama campaign narrative (see Obama’s statement yesterday) that stigmatize an entire group of Americans as being intrinsically racist.
This isn’t just confined to political opponents. Obama’s declaration that his grandmother was a “typical white person” was derided primarily because it was seen as Obama “throwing her under the bus” for political expediency. But the statement’s premise — that the “typical” white person is a reflexive racist — is at least as offensive.
The comments regarding Obama’s statement to San Francisco elites about bitter, working class voters focused largely on the condescension in his claim that such folks “cling to guns or religion.” What was ignored was Obama’s clause “…or antipathy to people who aren’t like them…” Again, Obama is branding a huge swath of the American populace in unsavory terms.
During the primaries the Obama campaign lept upon any statement that was even remotely related to color as evidence of racist intent. Very peculiar behavior for a campaign originally based on racial transcendence. Even more so for someone who doesn’t seem to have encountered any pernicious racism or racial barriers in his personal life.
Leonard Fein, keep up the great job in perpetuating this baseless meme.

wifeandmotherinbaltimore

posted August 1, 2008 at 12:33 pm

I believe most white intelligent voters are not even thinking about Obama’s skin color. They (and I) are looking at and critically analyzing his lack of experience,his extremely liberal views, and his attitude that the government must solve all the social and economic ills of this society. I personally want a much smaller government (budget & mission) and then I (and thus all US citizens) must take care of our families (poor, disabled, elderly), we must cover our own health costs, we must pay for our own bills (or not and live with the consquences), we must teach our children respect, pay for their college, and finally save for our retirement ( or not and live with the consquences).Our politicians must scrap the current tax structure/slash the federal budget and finally allow the people to make decisions on their own and live with those decisions. That is personal responsibility. Americans Can DO It! We are still a pioneering people with a great entreperneurial (sp?) spirit!!

Faizah

posted August 3, 2008 at 10:16 am

Race is a visible thing and admit it or not people cannot ignore nor dismiss the role race plays in their thoughts and actions. Religion although less visible (for most) is still a visible thing for many and it too plays a role in the thoughts and actions of people. The US for all its claims of being a Christian or Judeo-Christian nation is more secular than religious.
Yes government costs need to be slashed but not as it relates to services; rather as it relates in terms of personnel expenses. Every agency head is paid triple digit figures yet they don’t do the actual work and often don’t posses the actual knowledge and skills to accomplish the tasks required. It is the people at the low end of the pay scale that do the work and have the knowledge and skills and are in essence treated like the indentured servants of those at the top and are expected to make the executives look good. It is the actual working people that struggle to pay their bills and provide for their famiies while the executives don’ have those concerns (struggle to do things) ever. It is the low wage earner than understands the concept of self-responsibility while the high wage earners believe they will always life the “great life” and are the first to “cry broke” whenever they don’t get a raise or advance immediately and first although they are not deserving of either.
The entreprenurial spirit may still exist but there is no planning. Many believe that they are supposed to make tons of money immediately and when they realize how much harder they actually have to work they give up. They want to sell high end products or services which renders their client base small; same applies to those that want to start businesses that are not needed. How many hair salons or clothing boutiques or entertainment producers or corner stores do we need? And forget about things such as Amway or Avon or Tupperware or Pampered Chef or Mary Kay Cosmetics or the like.
What people also need to do is stop paying attention to the advertisers who are only out to make money for big business by convincing people that they “absolutely have to have” whatever it is being sold. People living in subsidized housing collecting public assistance don’t need expensive cars and cell phones that do everything except make coffee yet these are the very people that often have the latest materialistic everything but are totally opposed to spending money on educating themselves and their children but always want to claim to want a “way out”.
None of the candidates are saying what I want to hear; rather they are all saying the same things as before even if they use different words. None speak about honesty and integrity yet each want to say they are for ethics. Each want to say that they believe in helping all people but they really mean help those that are like themselves and don’t need the help. Taxes go up but impact those who can least afford it the most.
We have become a society that would “sell our own mothers” or “sell our souls” just to get ahead of everyone else and then figure we can sit in a house of worship and insist that we were “blessed” with the materialism we have and are forgiven for the sins committed to get those things. The handful that wouldn’t forsake anyone to get ahead are shunned and left behind and blamed for their lack of prosperity in favor of honest living. We condem morality and embrace immorality. The candidates are doing nor speaking about anything to reverse this trend and that is pathetic.

Sandy

posted August 14, 2008 at 10:45 am

I don’t care that Obama is Black. I do care that he has so little experience at a time when we need someone in the White House with a lot of experience, and I care about what I consider to be his lack of respect for the past (a sign of my ow age, I guess) and what I believe has been a lack of respect for Hillary Clinton who I wanted to be our next President. Of course, it’s very hard for me to vote for McCain, given the fact that I’m so fearful about who will make it to the Supreme Court, I probably will vote for Barak. Nevertheless, that doesn’t mean I’m happy about it.

James

posted August 14, 2008 at 10:59 am

I have no dislike for Obama as a man, what I cannot understand is how we can put our Presidency in the hands of someone that does not have but a few months of experience in the affairs of state. Now if Bill Cosby where to run for president I’m sure there would be a landslide vote for him. Sorry but Obama just seems to just say what the people he is talking to want to hear, but doesn’t make any firm commitments.
I am 75 years old and have seen this nation fight a great war and become the greatest nation in the world, only to see it being slowly destroyed by self serving politicians and greedy corporations. I’ve watched our industry move out of the country and our jobs being given to cheap foreign labor so that corporate CEOs and upper management can live like kings. I have watched the morality of the nation go down the tubes. It is time to stop and get it straight!

Karen

posted August 14, 2008 at 11:04 am

I am disturbed by Mr. Fein’s posting in response to rlb1961 where she/he stated it would be “just as racist to vote FOR a presidential candidate based on the color of his skin”. I am disappointed that Mr. Fein thinks that people SHOULD turn out to the polls this November and if they are undecided let race be the one thing that evokes pity in your heart and vote in a person with no experience just because of the color of his skin. I have faith in this country to make an empowered decision, gather all of the facts regarding background, religion, morals, political affiliations, and integrity and then make a vote based on factual information and intellect. Not based on the color of someone’s skin even if it would be exciting to be part of history. And if this is racist YOU ARE WRONG! If pity is to be the ruling factor then vote for McCain, at least he earned the right to be where he is….

willow greenberg

posted August 14, 2008 at 11:53 am

If I don’t vote for obama it will be more of his connection to Anti-semetic groups and individuals NOT the color of his skin. Since I am Jewish that issue does influence my voting decisions.
Willow Greenberg

Robert Moseley Sr.

posted August 14, 2008 at 12:00 pm

I will express a few private thoughts that you may want to consider when voting. Mr. Obama attended a church that preached hatred for twenty years. An attender of fringe elements attending a KKK meeting of twenty years ,even if he’s in the back with no robes can be assumed to be a racist, need I say more. It is your right to vote for whom you wish and I encourage you to do so. I also encourage you to learn as much as possible about your choice, that is also your right . you have the right to say whatever you want, First Amendment.
Bob Sr. of Calvert County ,Md.

David Altschul

posted August 14, 2008 at 1:14 pm

I applaud Senator Obama for condemning the racism in the recent Democratic primary in Tennessee’s Ninth District, in which the opponent of liberal Congressman Steve Cohen ran TV ads juxtaposing the Congressman with pictues of a KKK uniform, and in which church leaders OUTSIDE the district produced mailers asking why Jews and the Congressman hated Jesus. The good news: Voters gave 79% of the vote to the Congressman, and only 19% to Nikki Tinker, the racist corporate lawyer devoid of community service experience who tried to oust him.

archie cogollos

posted August 14, 2008 at 1:51 pm

although i believe that the candidate are want…thatt they are not the best this country can produce…but as history has proven time and again…people rise to the occassion…i hope and pray that the election ..that our people will chose wisely…and …as martin luther king once said that the man be judged not but the color of his skin , …but the content of his character”…now more than ever we need that dream to come true…

Dave

posted August 14, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Some people will vote against Obama because he is Black.
Some people will vote for Obama because he is Black.
Does Fein (or anyone else) know which group is larger.

voice-crying

posted August 14, 2008 at 4:03 pm

Is anyone going to vote for Obama’s opponent because he not only lusted in his heart he actually committed adultry while married to his first wife (and more than likely his second wife, also)?
If someone decides not to vote for Obama because he’s black, that’s ok because he can’t change that fact. Being a certain race is not a bad habit; it has nothing to do with character.

Leeann

posted August 14, 2008 at 10:00 pm

If anyone is a bigot, it’s Barak Obama’s former minister whose sermons he and his wife listened to for 20 long years. I have yet to hear a logical and satisfactory reason for that 20 year relationship.
There will be plenty of people not voting for Mr. Obama – for reasons other than his skin tone. He would be a lot easier to consider if he weren’t so gosh darn sanctimonious and self-righteous.

Jason

posted August 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm

Are you kidding me? So any vote against Obama is automatically racist? So anytime any black person runs for President, a good non-racist person must automatically vote for him. No matter what. No matter how staggeringly unqualified and unprepared he is. No matter how many radical connections and positions he has. Unreal. I have news for you, Mr. Fein, you have no standing to dictate to any American what sentiments he or she is “permitted” to use in determining his or her vote. Thank God we live in a country that is so great that all of us may for or against anyone on the ballot for absolutely any reason we choose, and we owe no explanation for that vote to Mr. Fein or anyone else.

Brother K

posted August 15, 2008 at 12:02 am

The solution is not who will make president but the solution is, who will support the new president. Good luck to us all. Brother K

Robert

posted August 15, 2008 at 2:15 am

Indeed, Leann. Both points well taken. As One earlier commented (2000 years ago), sanctimonius whited sepulchures can be very unclean inside.
God help us select, and let us support the new president. Yet now we must select one for our vote.
While I–as most do–believe it was high time to see a good minority candidate, I fear voting for someone who most of the time evaded voting in Senate decisions. It is not time for the indecisive man to be presiding our country. “Political” indecisiveness is what loosed Osama Ben Laden on the world after Sudan would have handed him up for involvement in the embassy bombing, and also what turned the Panama canal over to China. Now we pay the bill.(No pun intended)

Glori

posted August 15, 2008 at 3:55 am

At the end of the day: It’s about THE COURTS, AND THE JUDGES… Bottom Line!
A vote for Nadar, is a negative vote for our Democratic Institutions!
Obama is the man!
Blessings,
Torah~el

Shoshana

posted August 15, 2008 at 6:45 am

I fully support Jason’s comments. If Obama loses the elections ( and I pray to G-D he will) it is not because of the color of his skin ( by the way I wish everyone relalizes he is a mulatto, having an equal white and black blood running through his veins) but because of his policies, associations and empty promises. Being “black” is not and should not be a guarantee for winning any election, post, appointment and the like, experience. A person must also have substance, experience,knowledge and moral fiber.
By the way, don’t we all wish that Carter’s campaign was derailed? He turned out to be one of the worse president this country has had, and he is an antisemite to boot!!!

robert

posted August 15, 2008 at 7:41 am

VOTE SPLIT TICKET – DEMACRATIC legislature- REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT. DEALS WILL BE MADE FOR THE PEOPLE. OR WE HAVE A STALEMATE. NO OBAMA READ THE BOOK OBAMA NATION BY JEROME CORSI . VERY INTERESTING.

Ellie

posted August 15, 2008 at 9:35 am

Shoshana-
There is no such thing as “black blood” and “white blood”. Blood is red. Barack Obama has a genetic mixture of African and European characteristics.
Obama is a very smart man. Though he’s only been in politics for a short time, compared to other candidates, he’s a quick study, and he’s way ahead of the learning curve.
Because he’s experienced oppression and seen the oppression of others, I have no reason to beleive he is a bad choice for Jews.

LAURA MUSHKAT

posted August 15, 2008 at 12:49 pm

I just pray to G-d that the Democrats once again lead our country to where it should be and that the Republicans get on the back burner where they belong.
Whoever gets the nomination-NOTHING IS WRITTEN IN STONE. People can say and do things that will suddenly cause an uproar and change.
Look what has happened to Mr. Edwards as a recent case in point!
Also Obama had a plane problem that was worse then we were told according to recent reports.
People are getting very upset at McCains’ ads.
Stay tuned people and watch the conventions!!

J Scheidel

posted August 15, 2008 at 1:33 pm

In response to DonF’s 8.31.08 comment relevant hereto :
The electronic media’s rampantly comedic ageism against McCain is far more blatant than the tenuously obvious racism against Obama who periodically reminds everyone that no one should be reminded of his color when considering the imminent probability of his presidency. Self-contradiction is often symptomatic of the aged, is it not? It is also symptomatic of the addled.

John

posted August 15, 2008 at 2:24 pm

My understanding is that Mr Obamma is half white, about 44% African Arab and 6% black. So why does that give us a Black president if by any chance he is elected. The whole thing is sick and anyway who cares about race? All of our presidents were bi- and tri-racial and controlled by the alluminatti.

Carolyn G.

posted August 15, 2008 at 2:25 pm

For all those who are so worried that Obama has little experience that would make him presidential material, a quote from Einstein comes to mind:
We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we
used when we created them.

Leann

posted August 15, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Thank you, Robert, and kudos to Reaganite in NYC for his cogent points.

Leann

posted August 15, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Thank you, Robert for your compliment, and kudos to “Reaganite in NYC” for his/her(?) cogent comments.

matt

posted August 15, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Obama is a racist, no experience, says only words put in his mouth by his camp ergo cant think for himself. He was not in the military because he felt it was someones elses duty.He plays the race card always. He went to a radical racist church for years but says de did not hear their message. What was he doing..crosswords.If you want a major war then let the democrats win the oval office. Say good bye to your guns and bible and wait for the major conflict in the middle east. You will be in uniform if your 18-35 with a good probability of being killed or wounded. So go ahead and put him in the white house ,he and the democrat run congress will sell you out like they have done since 2006.Thank God for Reagan and we hope Mac.

Ronald Tate

posted August 15, 2008 at 6:54 pm

I really could not care less about Obama’s race. My concern is that he seems to be friends (longtime associations) with several outspoken enemies of Israel and the Jewish people. In my opinion the two Presidential candidate choices are the worst of this generation.

Marcia Lecky

posted August 15, 2008 at 10:29 pm

Well it is serious. Then Mr. Obama must never be trusted because
if he is a friend of open enemies of Israel & of the Jewish
people, he must never ever be trusted. I am a Jew living in
Jamaica & i have heard that the muslim organisation in Jamaica
is quietly growing rapidly. Our last Synagogue in Jamaica is at
a low in Jamaica. Many of the Jews have Jamaica from the 70s”
& 80s’ because of politics. Ever since that has happened , Jamaica
has not been the same again. Each time our people leaves a
geographic area or country, the place or country is being ruined. if Obama wins the American Election might be it may seem
for the first that things are happy & people will celebrate
his victory by those people who do not recognize the danger
behind his victory especially for Israel & the Jewish People.
I am one of your Jewish women whom Hashem ( YHWH- EYN SOF)
has informed me that i would be going back to Israel with Our
12 Tribes. My father & his parents were Jewish people who
came to in the early days when our people were coming from
Europe because of persecution from Hitler, Stalin etc. My mom was
a half Jew by her mom who was a jew in Cuba who came to Jamaica
just before the Cuban Revolution fully broke out. She came to
Jamaica met this jamaican dark man who helped her & they were
married. That was how my mother & her older brother & sisters
were born. She was not beloved because took more of her fathers’ looks.
If our Jewish people were to leave America; America would fall
in ruins, & it is going to head straight there if Obama wins.
Many Blessings & Shalom my Beloved Yisraelites . Keep close to
Hashem. Marcia.

C Chernin

posted August 16, 2008 at 12:21 am

Why is there an assumption that race is the case if people don’t vote for Obama? Is it not possible that he is air, an empty shell, no substance, no experience all celebrity style media hype. Isn’t that a good reason not to vote for him? The insinuation that if a white doesn’t vote for him is because he’s racist is just plain manipulative.
How about reverse prejudice – polls are showing 98% of blacks are voting for Obama – is it because they are blind to his colour?

Cholley

posted August 16, 2008 at 7:41 am

When Mr. Obama stated, that in the 20, some odd, years he attended Rev. Wrights services, he was never “aware” of any outrageous comments, I knew, then and there, one of two things; Either he heard them and thought nothing of them , or he’s just a blatant liar.
But, that’s not the sole reason I’m voting for McCain. Obama is an “out and out” Marxist. He wants MORE governmental controls, he feels that the “Rich aren’t paying their fair share.” and taxes curbs should be eliminated.

robert

posted August 16, 2008 at 8:26 am

oBAMA- WHO IS THIS PERSON? NO ONE REALLY KNOWS. READ THE BOOK OBAMA-NATION. BY JEROME CORSI. IT IS VERY INTERESTING. THE TRUTH HURTS ESPECIALLY WHEN EXCERPTS IS TAKEN FROM THE TWO BOOKS HE WROTE. THE OBAMA CAMP WAILS WITH FOUR HUNDRED PAGES AGAINST THE FACTS .READ THE BOOK AND JUDGE FOR YOURSELF.HE IS AN OBOMINATION. I AM ANGRY WITH THE DEMOCRAT PARTY AND THE MEDIA FOR HYPING OBAMA.HILLARY GOT SCREWED. I AM GOING FOR A SPLIT PARTY. A DEMOCRATC LEGISLATURE AND A REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT.LET THEM MAKE DEALS AND KNOCK EACH OTHER .HOPEFULLY WE THE PEOPLE WILL BENEFIT .NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO, THEY CAN NOT HURT US, WITH OUT HURTING THEMSELVES.

Yirmeyahu

posted August 16, 2008 at 10:56 am

As a Jew, I am worried for Israel and America if Obama is elected. Due to the friends he keeps who are anti-Israel, like for example George Clooney. The media looks at this guy as a messiah, why? That should be a clue to us all, if the media loves this guy, who we all know has a media bias against Israel and what many people views are socialistic and elitism. We know nothing about his past, and when he is questioned about his past, especiality about his belief system. What happens.. He calls those who question him “Racist”. Look at how many times he has used to race card. Look at how he avoids his background. Something that has worried me as to how quickly he threw his grandmother on his mothers side to the loins, by calling her a “Typical White Person”, this is coming from a man who wants to heal America, he is not the one to heal America, We ALL Are!!
At work, this guy who is Black, asked me who I am going to vote for, I told him its none of his business, he then called me a Racist cause I wouldn’t discuss it. He informed me that unless I vote for Obama, I will be a racist… I told him its not your business whom I vote for. So this has me worried, if the rank and file of Obama supporters are trying to strong arm those to vote this this media Messiah.

Debbie

posted August 16, 2008 at 11:40 am

I am not a fan of Mr Obama, I believe he is the by product of a good public relations group, he has promised change yet after listening to many of his speeches I feel that he has just added to global warming with all that hot air!
Have you taken notice that his wife has toned down her anti American comments after her statement of ” this is the first time in my adult life I am proud to be an American”?
Have you taken notice that his anti Semetic Pastor Rev Dr Wright is no longer in the news yet he continues to hate whites & Jews, and America the land of his freedoms?
Has Mr Obama without a prepared speech answered any questions put forth by anyone other than the media?
The media likes him he has TV charisma, but nothing else.
I fear the fate of many of us will be in peril if Mr Obama becomes our Nations leader & that isnot based on his color which he lies about anyway, he is not “African American”, he is not white, he is of mixed hertiage & that in itself is not a bad thing, yet he cosistantly refers to his Mothers family as “white folk”.
I Pray this cup shall be removed from our table however it is not my decision, but G-d’s.

bb

posted August 16, 2008 at 2:21 pm

It’s amazing the way everyone is looking at Obama, while McCain a man who is a loose cannon goes unchecked. His flaws are over looked, but, Obama is expected to be perfect (something impossible for any man). The more we find out about McCains questionable background the higher he goes in the polls. I think he’s what we deserve.

deborah

posted August 17, 2008 at 3:25 am

To vote for someone just because he is black is just as racist as to vote for the other one just because Obama is black. There is a lack of remembrance that this is America – republican, democratic, or independent. Not Africa-America or Mexico-America or any ‘other alliance’-America. If there is a problem with your birth loyalties, either re-asses your homeland or go to the homeland that you choose to claim. I am tired of these mixed claims by people who have never even been to Africa, & probably will never get there. Traditions should add to our heritage- not tear it apart.

Jerry Fischer

posted August 17, 2008 at 11:42 am

Are the bulk of the above comments disguising an inherent racism? Would similar veiled anti-semetic comments be made against a Jewish candidate for President? No doubt a Jewish candidate would be accused of being a left wing liberal, likely to appoint liberals to the Supreme Court. Accusations of loyalty to Israel and loyalty to “members of the tribe” and of being unamerican for opposing neo con support of military intervention in Iraq and numerous other places around the world. Fortunately Jews did not grow up having to drink at separate water foutains, to go to separate segregated schools in the South,to sit in the back of the bus, to being denied access to most colleges with quotas (an obstacle also faced by Jews –but not by the Bushes of the world who were admitted to Yale and other Ivies because of their family “legacies”).Not until Lyndon Johnson’s Civil Rights legislation the efforts of the Kennedy’s and the “Dream”of Martin Luther King were Blacks given the opportunity to “overcome” This is the racist legacy that Obama was born into and who had to overcome his race throughout his life–to achieve admission to Harvard Law School, based on his merits and to be elected editor-in-chief of the Harvard Law Review, no mean achievement. If ever there was an underdog who has “overcome” his position in life and who is a model for all Americans as well as for all peoples of the world it is Obama.

T

posted August 17, 2008 at 11:45 am

These comments amaze me. We are scared to accept someone that is different than what we are use to. It is a shame that USA is seen as country for the free no matter the color of the skin or culture. That is not the case. Until something like Sept. 11th or the War in Iraq happened, then we expect all races and culture to pull together to fight because human life is threaten. And yet in reality, we are not supportive of one another but of our own interest that make us feel safe an secure. You are right about not knowing Obama’s background he is not familiar because he is new and partially white. But we are not sure about McCain or any other candidate either. If we are going to judge let’s judge fairly or not judge at all. Time will tell where this country is heading. We are worried about our own interest when we need to focus on how third world countries, such as, China is seen as a superpower and the US Dollar is losing its power. Where does the USA stands then? We need to work together to help our nation keep their status as a superpower and stop fighting like children against each other. “House cannot stand if it is divided.”

daat

posted August 17, 2008 at 11:51 am

I have heard nothing from Obama that would make him even close to presidential material. Both Obama and McCain were chosen by the Media, not by the people and I really dont want to vote for either one of them. The media have orchestrated this American farce from the beginning. Obama is clearly unable to speak on his own about the issues. Without a script in front of him, he is dead in a debate. One of the continual gripes from the left and the media in regard to George Bush has been about his pattern of speech. Last night in an interview, which was aired on CNN and CNBC, Obama and McCain were both interviewed by a Pastor from California. Obama was very difficult to listen to. In the first place, he trys to avoid answering the questions with rhetoric and he stutters so bad that it is hard to believe he could be a trial lawyer who would have to speak spontaneously, and more difficult to believe he is the person that the media have chosen to be the President of this country! I believe he played the race card in the debate when asked which Supreme Court Justice he would NOT have chosen, he answered to his predominately White audience, Clarence Thomas because Thomas was not a good trial lawyer, like Obama is? Obama apparently was not allowed to act as a lawyer. According to his trail record in Illinois, the number of cases on the books for Obama is close to 0! In a recent poll in Israel Obama was not seen as the perfered next President of the United States. While Israel has no say in American politics, Israels concern over their safety and well being if Obama becomes President should be of concern to every Jew. Why are so many Jews behind Obama? What has he done for the Jewish community in his political career or in his lifetime except to be a part of groups who are the enemies of the Jewish people and in most cases groups and people who are the enemies of America! What will he really do if he is elected? I believe he cannot be trusted. He is not even honest about who he is. He is not honest about his racial background, he hides his family and anyone that hides from the public is NOT the person to be President of this Country. He also has less experience in Politics than anyone in recent history that has been a candidate for President.

Dreamer

posted August 17, 2008 at 12:40 pm

I am not a Racist, growing up our family thanksgiving table had every shade and color of the rainbow. However, I cannot trust a man who wants to make friends with our enemies. I have released the anger and pain of losing friends at The World Trade Center, I will not cloud their memory with hate any longer. But Facts are Facts, Muslin extremists want to wipe Isreal as well as the US from the face of the Earth. Ask yourselves whether you would willingly invite and break bread with someone who wants to murder you and your family?
So folks when you go to the polls this November, and you worry about the earth and our natural resources, about the high price of gas, about our elderly, and the future of our children. Remember, if we do not keep our country safe from further attacks, and stand firm with our allies, who want peace, so we may go forth as one united race…”The Human Race”. Nothing else will matter!!!
Our enemies, will NEVER, EVER, be our friends. Mr. Obama you are no Jesse Jackson!

heloise robinson

posted August 17, 2008 at 1:05 pm

I AM VERY CONCERNED HAVING OBAMA AS A PRESIDENT HE SPEAKS ONLY WHAT IS WRITTEN FOR HIM(GOOD WRITERS)I DO NOT FEEL HE IS READY TO LEAD OUR COUNTRY.I ALSO FEAR HE IS WITH THE ARABS ON MANY ISSUES THAT I DO NOT AGREE ON….
HELOISE ROBINSON

butterfly

posted August 17, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Dreamer-
Jesse Jackson Sr. is a cheister! The only things he cares about are TV cameras and strong-arm donations. Case in point: Denny’s and Cra cker Barrel were recent boycott targets, because of racism. HOwever, a few thousand dollars in donations to the “Rainbow Coalition” made everything all right, and those coroporations now have very prominant places on black radio shows.
Id you are afraid to vote for Barack Obama because his name sounds like one an Islamic man would have, then I would define you as prejudiced, which you say you are not. The very root of the word is “pre-judge” Mr. Obama has stated again and again that he is a Christian man.
Many Jews of European descent will find convenient excuses NOT to vote for Obama, simply because he’s been blessed with more melanin. That is very sad, for a people that were once also despised and discriminated against!

Cholly

posted August 17, 2008 at 9:38 pm

It’s difficult to be openminded when when you’re biased toward something or someone. I’m convinced that Obama uses the race card more frequently than you imagine. I won’t vote for him, because I’m convinced that he’s both untruthful and insincere. He has too many people in his life who show a fervent dislike for the USA and persons who have white skin.

Wanjira Karobia

posted August 18, 2008 at 3:16 pm

My dear Cholly would have commanded much more respect had she/he attempted to to back his ‘conviction’ of Obama’s “untruthfulness and “insincerity” by facts rather than pride, prejudice and hunches.
One wonders, too, whether his “having too many people who show FERVENT dislike for the USA and persons who have white(pink?) skin” would include his mother, his maternal grandparents, Ms Sebelius, the honorable governor of Kansas and almost his entire campaign team! Oh when shall we even begin to try and transcend pettiness?

hawk

posted August 18, 2008 at 4:51 pm

butterfly-you must have your head buried in the sand.Forget skin color.He is a good preacher espousing nothing of substance.At least his good friend rev wright is honest about hating America.Why not READ THE BOOK OBAMA NATION and learn about the man.YOU DO NOT KNOW ABOUT BEING A RACIST TILL YOU READ THIS BOOK.

ruvain

posted August 18, 2008 at 8:08 pm

Obama has played the race card quite effectively. When his vote total was much less than the media had prodicted in NH, the Obama camp asserted it was proof of white bigotry where whites say one thing when polled and act differently when voting. They pointed to California when Mayor Tom Bradely ran for Governor.
Both NH and California had a common element other than the candidate’s being Black. In both cases the media had anointed the candidate victor by a landslide long before the election. In the case of California, many people simply did not feel the urge to vote since Bradley was guaranteed the winner. In NH, may independents voted in the Republican primary since the media had advised them that Obama had it all locked up. Other pro-Obamas stayed home, but Billarites were motivated. While some Whites may say one thing and do another, a far more likely explanation was the role of the media in affecting the behavior of voters. Of course, this types of story is not one the media finds flattering and hence it goes un-reported.
As far as I am concerned, because Billary could not fend off Obama’s playing the race card, she did deserve the nomination.
I plan to vote for Obama even though I find his policies childish and ill advised. Why? After decades and decades of religous bigots running the government, I am sick and tired of their attacks on the right to privacy, their insistance that this is a Christian nation, prayer in school, posting the Ten Commandments (which Christians violate with their Trinity and their graven images, and Sunday as sabbath), their attacks that Gays are evil and must be excluded from the military cause great harm to the country as a whole.
Despite his brief statements to the contrary a few years ago, McCain is of this ilk. He doesn’t think non Christians should hold office (it is not clear where he stands about Jews, but he is against Muslims, Hundus, Bahists (sp), secularists, Buddists, etc. holding public office. Since McCain has shown that he is bringing the entire Bush – Rove mentality with him, I think I’ll vote for Obama and hope Obama is too bright to beleive in his silly policies.

Doug from PA

posted August 19, 2008 at 7:21 pm

My best instinct tells me not to support an extreme leftist like Barack Obama for president. I think, therefore I’m not a socialist.

Barry

posted August 19, 2008 at 8:31 pm

“Should” people vote from racist or bigoted motives (whether for or against a candidate)? Of course not. Will they? Of course.
The book, “Obama Nation” — from what I’ve read, it is a bound-and-printed, super-long hate-the-N-Obama email. More of the Big Lie technique. I’ve read Obama’s own words.
Suggesting that Obama was using the “race card” when he said he would have opposed Justice Clarence Thomas’s nomination to the Supreme Court — please. I am not black, I am a liberal American Jew, and a lawyer, and I thought Justice Thomas was a bad choice at the time; I have read a few of his opinions since his appointment and cannot say I have been moved to change my mind. The objection is not so much political (despite my differences with the Justice on many issues of policy) as with the quality of his work, before and after his nomination; I differed just as sharply (and sometimes even more so) with former Chief Justice Rehnquist, but the clarity of his opinions and the legal reasoning in those opinions compelled respect.
Will Obama as President act exactly as Obama the candidate spoke? It’s highly unlikely — no president in my memory (going back to JFK) has acted exactly as he spoke when a candidate. In 1964, Lyndon B. Johnson ran as the peace candidate!
We have a clear choice in November. John McCain will continue the Bush policies, for the most part, if he is elected, the policies of a government of the rich, by the rich and for the rich. The policies of people who think things are pretty much fine just as they are, the policies of what can be imposed with 50% plus one vote. The policies that took a country united in the aftermath of 9/11 and made the U.S. a country more seriously divided than at any time since the Vietnam War.
We need a president who, unlike Sen. McCain and President Bush, understands that an army of occupation must inevitably be defeated. We need a president who understands the art of the possible, who has a genuine respect for the Constitution and the individual liberties it is supposed to guarantee.
And, yes, we need to put aside racist motives, or intellectually anti-racist motives, and elect our next president based on as good a guess as we can muster up, to answer the question of who will do a better job for America.

LizBerneyforCongess@gmail.com

posted August 20, 2008 at 12:12 pm

It’s fitting that Leonard Fein compares Jimmy Carter to Barack Obama. Carter’s inaction when our U.S. embassy was taken over in Iran in 1979 encouraged radical Islamic extremists to attack American targets repeatedly throughout the following decades, secure in the knowledge that we would not fight to protect ourselves. Obama is straight out of Jimmy Carter’s “wishful thinking” school of foreign policy. In addition, Carter’s fallacious, anti-semitic “Apartheid” book and Obama’s 24-hour flip-flop on Jerusalem make if apparent that neither Carter nor Obama is a friend of our democratic ally Israel. Disastrous economic policies is another similarity. Carter’s presidency was characterized by stagflation and sky-high interset rates (the prime rate hit a record 21.5% during his presidency). Obama’s plans to raise a bevy of taxes will likely help push the ecomony into a deep recesssion. Thinking citizens oppose Obama because one Jimmy Carter was enough. Race has nothing to do with it.

Jackie

posted August 21, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Obama will bring change not more of Bush. He is not a rich guy who owns 7 houses. Congress will not let him be a king and make all decisions by himself. I’m middleclass. I need a president for me!

hawk

posted August 22, 2008 at 8:31 am

jackie.- BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR, YOU MAY REGRET IT,then it will be late to rectify.Did you read the book OBAMA NATION.It is very interesting.My opinion- VOTE FOR OUR COUNTRY not the PARTY. GOOD LUCK

bb-mike

posted August 22, 2008 at 8:46 am

MY OPINION-VOTE FOR DEMOCRATIC LESISLATURE-republican presiden t.