Would you prefer knowing the truth or living in ignorance?
Assuming knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss, which would you prefer – power or bliss? Here follows ‘the truth about Sushi!’ from Janice Taylor, Beliefnet.com Sushi Lover.
As far as Sushi goes, I was (was being the operative word here) truly happy living in ignorance. In fact, just this past week, I had a night of ‘let go’ at my favorite Japanese restaurant.
Roll after roll – spicy tuna roll, shrimp tempura roll – dragon roll – Alaska roll – Boston roll -bottle of unfiltered Sake after bottle of filtered Sake from dry to sweet – mysteriously arrived at our table. It was a gastronomical, as well as social pleasure. One big blissful, ignorant YUM!
Yes, I was clear on the fact that I’d well exceeded my usual daily caloric intake, however, I rationalized that sushi is a low-fat diet food – and that it couldn’t be too bad!
The very next day, coincidentally, Our Lady of Weight Loss, the patron saint of permanent fat removal, handed me an ‘everything you need to know about sushi’ article, which set forth, under no uncertain terms, the truth about sushi.
So before you read on – know this. If you are ordering any kind of ‘fancy’ roll – large size rolls, rolls of spiciness, or fried rolls (duh!) – any kind of Sushi roll that has been ‘Americanized’ – you are ingesting more calories and fat than you may have thought.
“Sushi for dieters: Japanese isn’t always great for you. Here’s how to order smart.” Source: Health magazine, June 2007
1. SOY SAUCE – [1 Tbsp.]
* Calories: 8
* Fat: 0g
* Protein: 1g
* Sodium: 902mg
* Smart move – cut 302 milligrams of sodium by choosing low-sodium soy
2. IMITATION WASABI – [1 Tbsp.] I didn’t even know that imitation existed?!)
* Calories: 7
* Fat: 0g
* Protein: 0g
* Sodium: 100mg
* Smart move – ask for the real thing. Imitation can contain oil, sorbitol [a sugar],
3. SHRIMP TEMPURA ROLL – [6-8 pieces]
* Calories: 508 per roll (HOLY COW!!!)
* Fat: 21g
* Protein: 20g
* Sodium: 210mg
* Smart move: For crunch, skip the tempura and get a roll with fish raw
[only 20 calories a tablespoon]
4. SPICY TUNA ROLL – [6-8 pieces]
* Calories: 290 per roll
* Fat: 11g
* Protein: 24g
* Sodium: – 53mg
* Smart move: If you order it mayo-free, you will save about 30 calories and
3 grams of fat.
5. TUNA SASHIMI – [I ounce]
* Calories: 40
* Fat: 1,4g
* Protein: 6,6g
* Sodium: – 11mg
* Good bet: You will get all the flavor without the carbs from the rice.
6. CUCUMBER ROLL – [6-8 pieces]
* Calories: 137 per roll
* Fat: 0g
* Protein: 3,5g
* Sodium: – 21mg
* Good bet: The veggies in this roll add tasty, low-cal crunch.
7. CALIFORNIA ROLL – [6-8 pieces]
* Calories: 255 per roll
* Fat: 7g
* Protein: 9g
* Sodium: – 49mg
* This popular, yummy selection is both high in protein and low in fat.
8. Picked Ginger (5 slices)
* Calories: 9
* Fat: 9 g
* Protein: 9 g
* Sodium: 1 g
To add some perspective on this, remember, I did permanently remove 50 pounds almost 8 years ago, so I’d have to say my ‘lost let-it-all-go sushi dinners’ every so often, not very often, didn’t matter in the big picture. Having my sake night off did not send me off onto a 10-year detour.
However, now that I know how many calories are in a shrimp tempura roll, will I ever be able to order one again … at least, without great debate and awareness?
I suspect I will shift to the sashimi side of life – and feel powerful in my knowledge.
NOTE: Sushi is a Japanese food that features individual pieces of raw fish on top of little delicious mounds of vinegar-seasoned rice. Sashimi is simply slices of raw fish (often salmon and tuna).
Be Political : Eat Healthy!
More delicious food.
American Idol: 6 Stress Busting Snacks.
Eat. Have Sex. Lose Weight!
Obama Eats and Pays!
Spread the word … NOT the icing,
Follow Janice on Twitter:
Janice Taylor is a Life & Wellness Coach, specializing in weight loss, reinvention, transformation & happiness, author, seminar leader and 50-pound-BIG-Time-LOSER! Write Janice for an Introductory Coaching Session.
For more motivation and inspiration, join the Kick in the Tush Club: Beliefnet Chapter.
“Janice Taylor is a certain kind of kooky genius ~ see if her idiosyncratic diet plan will work for you.” ~ O, The Oprah Magazine
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Our Lady Of Weightloss"Janice Taylor is a 'kooky genius'"
~ O, The Oprah Magazine
Janice Taylor is a Weight Loss Coach and Certified Hypnotist, author, artist and motivational speaker. She is the author of Our Lady of Weight Loss: Miraculous and Motivational Musings from the Patron Saint of Permanent Fat Removal and All Is Forgiven, Move On: Our Lady of Weight Loss's 101 Fat-Burning Steps on Your Journey to Sveltesville (publication date May 15, 2008). Janice is also the creator of the popular e-newsletter Kick in the Tush Club and a 50-pound big-time-loser.
Books By Janice:
- #OneWord : 8 Quotes Guaranteed to Bring a Tear to the Eye!
- Coach Yourself Thinnish: Is Your Solar Plexus Singing the Fat Blues?
- Kick in the Tush Tuesday: #Stop-Stopping
- Puzzled? For Tax Week Relief: In Our Lady We Trust
- #OneWord – #Fear : How to Scare the Pants Off Yourself !?!
- Coach Yourself Thinnish: Enough Already???
- Kick in the Tush Tuesday: It’s NOT About Your Fat; It IS About Your Life
- Puzzled? Go Outside, Smell the Dirt, Be Happy!
- #OneWord: #Stardust and the Meaning of Life
- Coach Yourself Thinnish? What? Huh? Say WHAT?