One of the Kick in the Tush Club members and participant of the Fill Up On Happiness e-diet coaching program wrote me and asked for a few simple diet tips.
Dear Our Lady of Weight Loss ~ I am loving being a part of the Kick in the Tush Club and the Happiness e-diet is indeed filling me up with happiness! I feel better and am slowly but surely letting go of the excess weight. I’m still in need of plain n’ simple diet tips. A sheet, perhaps, of tips I can roll up, fold up, and carry around with me. Thank you! ~ C.
Ask and ye shall receive, my Beliefnet peeps!
TIPS: plain and simple
1. Make Your Home Your Safe Haven. Stock your fridge with the ‘right’ foods, lest the devil call your name. There’s enough temptation out ‘there.’ Create a safe, calm and happy home.
2. Seek food that is healthy and wholesome. Let go of overly-process addictive junk.
3. Fill up on fiber. Raw, lightly cooked vegetables, grains, beans and other fiber rich foods, brush your digestive tract and keep it healthy and active.
4. Eat till sated. Learn to stop eating just before you are full.
5. Drink water. Your body is 75% to 80% water, and it needs a regular re-supply of water to flush away toxins and rebuild cells. Make water-rich foods a part of your diet (fruits and vegetables) and drink pure (distilled or spring) water.
Do NOT drink sodas, colas, and other soft drinks that are filled with additives and empty calories.
6. Taste Food Before Sprinkling. Too much salt can contribute to hypertension and other maladies; excess sugar distorts your metabolism and loads you up with useless calories.
7. Moderate Your Fat Intake. Use healthy fats such as olive oil and avocado. Most healthy diets include 3 to 4 servings of fat per day. One tablespoon of oil equals 3 fats.
8. Eat Free-Range Meats in Moderation. Avoid eating animals that have been fed growth hormones, antibiotics and other toxins.
9. Variety is the Spice of Life. Create a balanced and enjoyable varied food plan. In other words, do NOT eat oatmeal every single morning for breakfast for the rest of your life!
10. Mini-Meals. Eat 5 or 6 small meals per day. This can keep your metabolism burning as if you are 10 years younger than you are! And, if you eat enough bulk food (vegetables, fruits, fiber filled foods), you can avoid feeling overly hungry.
11. Get the Best Bang for Your Calorie Buck. For example, 94% fat-free popcorn; the entire bag is around 250 calories. Or … air popped popcorn!
12. Do NOT Eat on the Run. “Dine.” Do not “grab.”
Do Sit Down. Set a beautiful table. Eat at an unhurried pace. This will improve your digestion, your equanimity, your sense of control and the quality of your life.
13. If you Bite It; You must Write It. Until you have successfully changed your lifestyle to a totally healthy one, please write down every morsel … all the BLT’s (bites, licks and tastes). You will eat less; more healthfully.
14. Count Calories. At the end of the day, it’s all about calories in; calories out. Find the ‘magic’ number that works for you (approximately 1200 to 1800 depending on how much you weigh now).
15. Exercise. Walk, Run, Dance, Jump, Play Badminton or Croquet … MOVE, SHAKE your booty!
16. Visualize. Imagine that it is one year from today. You have permanently removed your excess weight. SEE IT! FEEL IT! EXPERIENCE IT as if it has already happened. See your compelling future and you will automatically move towards it.
17. Motivate Yourself Daily. Just as you wash every day, so must you motivate yourself every day.
18. Use Small Plates. It’s better to have a crowded small plate, than an empty big one … psychologically speaking; and it helps with portion control.
19. Portion Control. Remove the words and concepts of ‘super-size’ or ‘large’ from your brain … now.
20. Read the Labels. Be sure to review how many servings are in the box, can, whatever. Labels can be deceiving. It brings us back to calorie counting.
21. Forgive Yourself. You are NOT bad. You are GOOD. Forgive and MOVE ON. Repeat Our Lady’s Mantra: ALL IS FORGIVEN, MOVE On!!!!
There you have it, my friends, 21 Tips Plain n’ Simple.
Now … just so you know, both my books are chock a block full of tips like these and more. Some are food related tips, some are mind related tips, some are behavior related tips, some are spiritual tips that will bring you into your ‘lite.’ (Books: Our Lady of Weight Loss and All Is Forgiven, Move On.
For F*R*E*E advice; sign up for Profound Paths to Health, Healing and Happiness (a seminar series that Kicks Tush!)
Click for Beliefnet’s newest gallery: 13 ways to improve your luck.
Spread the word … NOT the icing!
Janice Taylor is a Life & Wellness Coach, specializing in weight loss, reinvention, transformation & happiness, author, seminar leader and 50-pound-BIG-Time-LOSER! Write Janice for an Introductory Coaching Session.
For more motivation and inspiration, join the Kick in the Tush Club: Beliefnet Chapter.
“Janice Taylor is a certain kind of kooky genius ~ see if her idiosyncratic diet plan will work for you.” ~ O, The Oprah Magazine
Follow Janice on Twitter: