I was all set to write a post about racism and sexism, but it would’ve been about the 08 race and I figure we’ve had enough of that recently. Instead I decided to post two must-see videos that came to my attention this week. They are incredibly different but each worthy of comment. I have a lot to say about each but I figured I’d just introduce each in order and hope that we get some comments going on them, and then I would write some of my thoughts in response to your comments. So please do watch one or both and leave a comment, even if it’s only two words, or one of those ultra annoying blog abbreviations (LOL does not apply to either of these videos, believe me!).
If you are in NYC, you need to come to Roshi O’Hara’s guest lecture tonight, “Zen and the Art of Activism.”
The first video is a lecture given at a TED science conference by neuroscientist Jill Bolte Taylor about suffering a stroke and coming into contact with non-conceptual mind. It’s pretty amazing. Very amazing.
Okay, did you watch it?
Now, switching gears completely, here is the scary video of NYPD scuffling with Tibetan protesters near the UN a few weeks ago. I have thoughts of my own on protesting in NYC, the draconian parade laws, and basic human decency and suffering, but let me know how it strikes you. This one is embedded from youtube.
Okay, let me know how they strike you….
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
- More blogs to enjoy!!!
- Mixing technology and practice
- Wisdom 2.0
- The Buddha at Work – “All we are is dust in the wind, dude.”
- Sometimes You Find Enlightenment by Punching People in the Face
- A Handful of Leaves (is free)
- Dharma Poetry: W. H. Auden, a Reflection on Haiti and Human Suffering
- Buddha was a conservative
- What would Sid do: I’m stuck in a rut
- Generation Distracted
- rebelmouse on Podcast: “Crushed By Love” with Purna Steinitz Pt.1
- small business help on Podcast: “Crushed By Love” with Purna Steinitz Pt.1
- jobs available in my area on Freedom From Religion: Buddhism Wins Best Religion in the World Award
- supplement works on Global Warming Already Killing Thousands, Says Global Humanitarian Forum
- STEP Study - Page 2 - Religious Education Forum on Mingyur Rinpoche’s “Science of Happiness:” Buddhism, brain scans, and quantum physics collide