On the Front Lines of the Culture Wars

On the Front Lines of the Culture Wars

Singer Prince says women like being forced to wear burqas

The artist now called "Prince" again

“There’s only one religion. There’s order. You wear a burqa. There’s no choice. People are happy with that.”

That’s why the pop singer Prince likes traveling in Islamic countries, according to an interview this weekend in the British newspaper the Guardian. A burqa is a full-length veil concealing everything except the woman’s eyes.

Asked why he wears flamboyant outfits, he said recently he went out in public in ordinary clothing and nobody recognized him, so, he’s never going to dress “raggedy,” again.

The performer, whose real name is Prince Rogers Nelson, a few years ago forbade the press to call him by any name. Instead, he provided a stylized monogram-like symbol and said that was his name. So for a decade, the media called him “the artist formerly known as Prince.”

But things have changed. The 53-year-old has become a devout member of the Jehovah’s Witnesses. He said he refuses to sing many of his old hits, such as ”Gett Off” which told of “23 positions in a one-night stand.”

In his exclusive interview with the British newspaper, Prince said: “It’s fun being in Islamic countries, to know there’s only one religion. There’s order. You wear a burqa. There’s no choice. People are happy with that.”

When asked about the fate of those unhappy with having no choice, he replied: “There are people who are unhappy with everything. There’s a dark side to everything.”

Of his new life as a Jehovah’s Witness, he told the Guardian: ”I was anti-authoritarian, but at the same time I was a loving tyrant. You can’t be both. I had to learn what authority was. That’s what the Bible teaches. The Bible is a study guide for social interaction.

“If I go to a place where I don’t feel stressed and there’s no car alarms and airplanes overhead, then you understand what noise pollution is. Noise is a society that has no God, that has no glue. We can’t do what we want to do all the time. If you don’t have boundaries, what then?”

He told the Guardian that his distaste for the internet has not changed. He has long criticized anyone who posts his music or his image online. In 2007, his lawyers instructed a number of his fan clubs’ websites to remove all photographs and images related to his likeness.

He told the Guardian: “I don’t want to get up on a soapbox. My view of the world, you can debate that for ever. But I’m a musician. That’s what I do. And I also am music.”

Even though he’s been touring, Prince said that he doesn’t want to release a new album, even though he’s written lots of songs.

“The industry changed,” he said. “We made money before piracy was real crazy. Nobody’s making money now except phone companies, Apple and Google. I’m supposed to go to the White House to talk about copyright protection. It’s like the gold rush out there. Or a carjacking. There’s no boundaries. I’ve been in meetings and they’ll tell you, Prince, you don’t understand, it’s dog-eat-dog out there. So I’ll just hold off on recording.”

“I personally can’t stand digital music,” he told the Guardian. “You’re getting sound in bits. It affects a different place in your brain. When you play it back, you can’t feel anything. We’re analogue people, not digital.”

He criticized the organizers of this weekend’s music festival in Glastonbury, England, claiming that the annual rumors that he will play there are just an attempt to sell tickets.

“They use my name to sell the festival,” he said. “It’s illegal.”

Seeking Lilith

posted June 28, 2011 at 5:29 am

HAHAHAHAHA… that is really funny…
So… now he is the expert on everything related to Islam and the Middle East?
What a misogynist
There is nothing happy about forcing a woman to cover up from head to toe … suggesting that women enjoy being forced is an insult… (for your info Mr. I traveled the world and know cultures Prince, Not all women are “forced” to cover up) get your fact straight and stick to music
Btw, the burga’a the article is describing is what is worn in Afganistan and not in most “Islamic Countries”, where the burqa’a is at face cover length and only shows the eyes and the upper nose.

Jo

posted June 28, 2011 at 6:44 am

No one is free in any society. There are rules and laws that govern all of us. Taxes are the law of the land. No one likes it and in many situations we are forced to pay when we make retail purchases, etc. We do it because we don’t want to suffer the consequences. There are many laws that we can disagree with but to each his own. Rules and boundaries create civil order.

Prince may not be an authority but even he doesn’t have the freedom to express his opinion without being judged. There are no freedoms. It is just simply a way of life and it changes depending on where you live. It just happens to be the burqa in another country. I think it would be wise to clean up the mess in your own backyard before attempting to clean up the mess in your neighbors.

Gary Waymire

posted June 28, 2011 at 7:36 am

The man is trash so I can see why they would invite him to the white house. As far as being a musician, that is certainly questionably. Who cares what he thinks? I don’t believe that he belongs on this website except as an example of what is wrong with this country and the world.

ajfrench

posted June 28, 2011 at 8:03 am

First of all, I for one do not care for what someone like a prince would say. He is definitely not a role model for Christians. Second, God gave us free will, therefore, the greatest sin one can commit against another is to FORCE their own will on another. That is why Jesus teaches that preachers in the Christian faith should lead with kindness, gentleness, and the truth. In this way others will be drawn to the faith.

It is also a sin, suggesting that we still must live under the law. That is pre-Christ and is no longer effectual for salvation. In fact, these are the vain leaders/teachers that Jesus speaks about as not eligible for the kingdom. Remember when he said, when they come to the kin gdom they will say Lord Lord we taught/spoke in your name, and He will say, get behind me sinners/Satan. Why? Because they chose law over grace.

Americans who chose to be friends with Islam, choose death over eternal life.

Kim

posted June 28, 2011 at 8:13 am

It is very modest of a woman when she wears a burga. I wish that all of the Christian women who come out in public wearing shorts, pants, mini-dresses, and see through clothing would dress like a real descent woman. They do not have to wear a burga, but there is nothing wrong with wearing this type of covering. According to the Holy Bible, a woman should have her head covered when she prays or prophesy. We are to pray without ceasing. Therefore, a woman should be covered at all times in public.

BARBARA A.M.

posted June 28, 2011 at 9:30 am

The clothes aren’t the problem and if they are happy wearing those outfits so be it. Not for me to say!. Who cares anyway? I sure don’t.
Those people have been doing what they do forever and we ain’t gonna change that. And why should we? It’s none of our business in other words
Then Prince and his two-bit way of talking tries to convince us “he knows” just because “He went there”..woo-hoo.
If they are “happy” that’s fine with me. I am happy wearing what I wear and that works-for me.

just charlie

posted June 28, 2011 at 9:57 am

What some of you have said about who cares? Doesn’t affect me so it doesn’t matter. You could be no further from right if you chose to be, which I know you didn’t. I cannot remember who wrote it, but I know you will remember the piece just by this line-They came to get the Jews,but I am not Jewish, so I said nothing. By allowing ANYONE to be forced by political/’religious’ (cult) beliefs, especially radical Islam, then you are setting yourself up for a great fall and by the time it gets here, there will be no one to speak for you. Radical Islam states that it is more than fine, it is REQUIRED to bring about the death of all non-Muslims. In day to day dealings, you may NOT take any sort of advantage of a fellow Muslim, but anything goes dealing with a non-Muslim. Lying, cheating, etc etc is not only condoned, but encouraged. The ultimate goal is to have a single worldwide government and it shall be Islam run by Shariah law and this is to be achieved by any and all means at your disposal.

Notice the differentiation here. These are all traits and goals of RADICAL Islam BUT the silent majority of Muslims are completely silent out of fear because they are lumped in with the non-Muslims if they do not actively support the radical fringe.

AA

posted June 28, 2011 at 10:05 am

When Judah saw her, he thought she was a harlot, because she had covered her face. (Genesis 38:10-18).
modesty is different from covering yourself from head to toe. In the Bible Harlots covered themselves from head to toe out of shame, so people would not recognize them when they go out. Now you know the mind set of Islam.

carol

posted June 28, 2011 at 11:10 am

As for calling Prince trash, please be careful if you were one of the flingers. Having just finished writing a Sunday school lesson on Zacchaeus (who climbed the tree to see Jesus), I’m pretty sure Jesus would be eating with the music industry today.

Leila

posted June 28, 2011 at 11:26 am

Lilith, you too don’t know much. What you called ‘burqua worn in most Islamic countries’ is actually a ‘niqab’

Fully agree with Steven Meyer. Whatever happened to belief.net?

President Obama fails key test for Antichrists: confesses Jesus is Lord
President Barack Obama passed a key test Monday night in case anybody is worried that he is the Antichrist. Speaking at a campaign fundraiser at the House of Blues in Los Angeles, Obama was interrupted by a man identified as David Serrano who repeatedly yelled that "Jesus is God." As Se

posted 7:53:12pm Sep. 28, 2011 | read full post »

Michael Moore: America would welcome a fat president such as Chris Christie
Asked by Joy Behar onHeadline News whether America would vote for a "fat" candidate for President, controversial film-maker Michael Moore, who has never been accused of being too skinny, responded that most of America is fat and would probably identify with an overweight Commander-in-Chief. Histo

posted 10:27:30am Sep. 28, 2011 | read full post »

ACLU, Planned Parenthood combine to fight Mississippi constitutional amendment
Planned Parenthood and the American Civil Liberties Union have joined forces to create the pro-abortion “Mississippians for Healthy Families” with a goal of defeating a constitutional amendment limiting abortion in the Magnolia State. Christine Dhanagom of LifeSiteNews writes that "Yes on

posted 11:55:16am Sep. 27, 2011 | read full post »

Scientists tell pollsters religion and science not irreconcilable
Are there irreconcilable differences between faith and science? Not in the opinion of prominent scientists who participated in a five-year study by Rice University. Researchers there found that only a minority of scientists questioned at major research universities say that religion and scien

posted 3:13:07pm Sep. 23, 2011 | read full post »

Wikileaks: U.S. Embassy criticized Catholic influences on Poland
U.S. Embassy officials in Warsaw, Poland, under the Obama administration complained that Catholic Church doctrine is a major source of “homophobia” in the heavily Catholic country, according to diplomatic cables released by Wikileaks. The messages from the American embassy in Poland's capit

posted 3:51:00pm Sep. 08, 2011 | read full post »