O Me of Little Faith

O Me of Little Faith

Reader Fill-in-the-Blank

posted by Jason Boyett

This week’s posts have been fairly deep, theological, and long. So today I’m doing something short and mindless. So mindless, in fact, that I completely stole this idea from Bryan Allain’s blog. Because it’s a cool idea. Thanks, Bryan.

Unless you stole it from someone else, in which case: Thanks, Anonymous Victim of Blog Theft.

Let’s get to know each other, shall we? Here are five fill-in-the-blank questions for you. Be honest, be creative, and post your answers in the comments.

—————–

1) The most vivid dream I ever had involved _____________.

2) If I had to move more than 500 miles away, I would move to _____________ because _____________.

3) If there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s when ________________.

4) If I could do anything else for a living and make the same money I’m making now, it would be ______________.

5) That shameless shill Jason Boyett’s Pocket Guide books are _____________.

—————–

You can read my answers to these questions in the first comment…

Jason Boyett

posted August 27, 2009 at 2:17 pm

1) …being pursued, quite horrifyingly, by a herd of cattle through a nameless amusement park. I hid from them in the middle of a carousel. Then I escaped via a dirt tunnel that led to my underground house where, as it turned out, I lived with the gray cats who apparently were my mom and dad. We even had cat pictures on the dirt walls. I dream in terrifying detail.2) A small town in the Rocky Mountains near a lovely trout stream. Because I like to flyfish, and backpack, and ski, and do all manner of mountainy things.3) When people's jaws click when they chew food. Shiver.4) The guy at the beach resort who goes out every morning at sunrise to smooth out and clean the sand.5) As fun as a barrel of monkeys… monkeys who have degrees in history and an abiding interest in religion.

Matt Brier

posted August 27, 2009 at 2:39 pm

1. I was looking at a house that was for sale and happened to belong to the parents of a high school acquaintance. The house was 5 floors, 3 above ground and 2 under ground. Each floor would easily make-up it's own house and the two under ground floors had tunnel access under the driveway to the detached garage. Each room in the house subscribed to a different decorating style.2. Colorado, because I like the mountains and real winters.3. When people push their grocery carts with no regards to the other people in the store. I have a theory they drive the same way.4. Toss up: writer/radio personality.5. Laugh-out-loud, I can't believe I'm learning something good times.

DTDorrin

posted August 27, 2009 at 3:24 pm

1. I was the nanny of a group of siblings and ended up marrying their father (very Sound of Music-like) but then a man kept coming after me and attempting to kill me. I ran to my husband as he was coming out of my parent's house, but instead of helping, he forced me in the direction of the killer and I realized he had hired the man to kill me.2. Portland. So many blogs and sites I read talk about how great it is, so I'd like to give it a try.3. When people are loud while others are trying to sleep.4. Etsy shop owner–I'd sell things I make/design.5. Great ways to learn and laugh–at the SAME TIME! What?!

Stephanie

posted August 27, 2009 at 3:27 pm

1) I had to raise a little girl because her crazy mother and grandmother killed all her family members and escaped into hiding, I went to her house for clothes for her but all there was in every dresser drawer was black rubber boots. weird2) Colorado, because it seems that everyone is moving there and I hate being alone or left out of anything!3) I think I have it all figured out and then God decides he needs to take control and do so by totally creating a hardship for me to in turn rely on him and not on my firguring it all out ability 4) still looking for a new job, because it is hard to live on what I make.5) Sorry I cannot shill your pocket guides as of yet, I just barely met you yesterday!

Janna

posted August 27, 2009 at 3:34 pm

1) The most vivid dream I ever had involved the Pitch Monster. He lived in the tree above our driveway and I always flinched when we drove beneath that tree. Now I realize that even if he was real and pouring pitch at me the roof of the suburban would have protected me…sigh…2) If I had to move more than 500 miles away, I would move to Austria because, HELLO!!! Have you SEEN the Sound of Music????3) If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when people text me. I pay for each text and it takes me hours to text a reply.4) If I could do anything else for a living and make the same money I'm making now, it would be magazine editor of a non-conservative Christian women's magazine that talks about more than just devotionals, child rearing and how hard marriage is.5) That shameless shill Jason Boyett's Pocket Guide books are probably going to get me in trouble with my father-in-law (Catholic) who will be receiving the Sainthood book for his birthday in a week.

Emma

posted August 27, 2009 at 3:35 pm

1) The most vivid dream I ever had involved. I don't dream, and don't try and tell me 'you just don't remember them'…because I don't dream.2) If I had to move more than 500 miles away, I would move to Finland because I've been facinated by Finland for many many years. It seems beautiful, different and one of my best friends lives there. 3) If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when people are lazy and dishonest. 4) If I could do anything else for a living and make the same money I'm making now, it would be as a housewife. I currently earn very little. 5) That shameless shill Jason Boyett's Pocket Guide books are …I haven't read them yet….

Janna

posted August 27, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Randomdtd -I didn't read your comment before I posted mine. How great that we both mentioned Sound of Music (aka best musical ever)! And I live in Portland and it's as fantastic as everyone says (albeit more rainy and cloudy than I would prefer.)

Lauren

posted August 27, 2009 at 5:08 pm

1. My most vivid was my most recent. I was at a church camp that had a bar (???) that I went into without getting carded. I felt so cool that I updated my Facebook status to say, "Lauren is at a bar :)." Then I started freaking out, thinking I might get in trouble with my school for going to a bar.2) If I had to move more than 500 miles away, I would move to Portland, Oregon because a.) they have good coffee b.) I like rain c.) Don Miller lives there and d.) it's artsy.3) If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when people patronize me.4) If I could do anything else for a living and make the same money I'm making now, it would be working as a columnist for a magazine. For some reason I think my opinions really, really matter. ;-)5) That shameless shill Jason Boyett's Pocket Guide books are cleverly written and are often referred to when I am trying to impress people. (i.e. Did you know that Martin Luther didn't like the book of James? Yeah, it's true. That's why it's in the back of the NT.)

Kevin Selders

posted August 27, 2009 at 8:10 pm

1) The most vivid dream I ever had involved me sitting around a campfire with Yoda and Luke Skywalker. Right before Yoda's about to tell me the secrets of the universe, he opens his mouth like a cat hissing and reveals a set of fangs. I had this dream at least once a year during my childhood. I know, it's weird. 2) If I had to move more than 500 miles away, I would move to Ireland because it's called me back ever since I spent a few weeks there following college. The people are kind and fun to talk with, and the landscape is like poetry. Plus, a leprechaun named Bono lives there.3) If there's one thing I can't stand, it's circus folk. Carnies.4) If I could do anything else for a living and make the same money I'm making now, it would be freelance writing. I've started down that path anyway . . . 5) That shameless shill Jason Boyett's Pocket Guide books are flippin' sweet.

katie

posted August 27, 2009 at 11:51 pm

1) The most vivid dream I ever had involved my grandma driving me off a cliff…Iknow, weird and scary2) If I had to move more than 500 miles away, I would move to Colorado because I love the mountains3) If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when people are mean to other people.4) If I could do anything else for a living and make the same money I'm making now, it would be singing…5) That shameless shill Jason Boyett's Pocket Guide books are hilarious…fantastic…amazing…wonderful…stupendous (was that good enough for you:)—————–

Bryan Allain

posted August 28, 2009 at 8:47 am

1. People stealing my brother at a department store and then later returning him with cuts all over himself.2. Southern Cali for the weather3. people steal my blog ideas without acknowledging me. thanks for the linkage Jason :)4. writing stupid stuff that makes people laugh.5. all over my copy of RELEVANT Magazine this month!

Max02

posted August 28, 2009 at 9:39 am

1) The most vivid dream I ever had involved The smell of freshly cut grass.2) If I had to move more than 500 miles away, I would move to The Pacific Northwest because because it's just cool.3) If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when I ask a question and it goes unanswered.4) If I could do anything else for a living and make the same money I'm making now, it would be exactly what I'm doing now (I work at my church).5) That shameless shill Jason Boyett's Pocket Guide books are a couple of books I've never read.

Melinda

posted August 28, 2009 at 10:54 am

1) a man coming into my house and killing my father and sister before moving on to me. 2) Katmandu, Nepal. It has the most unique cultures– annoying american tourists, sweet Europeans going on treks to "Find themselves" and nationals who are desperate to learn English. I freakin love that city.3)people take advantage of those who can't defend themselves.4) running an "Art Expressions" facility (painting, sculpture, pottery, photography, carpentry) for the teens who are living on the streets. They could see their work and make a living and get back on their feet. 5)still, unfortunately, not free. Alas, my still-a-college-student self will have to settle for another trip to Borders to read the next chapter.

posted August 28, 2009 at 11:04 am

1) Arsenio Hall.2) Birmingham, UK, so I wouldn't have to learn to spell a new city.3) Complaining4) I could walk around all day looking for lost change and make the same money I'm making now.5) Easy to sneak on planes.

Bo Lane

posted August 28, 2009 at 11:07 am

1) The most vivid dream I ever had involved falling to my death.2) If I had to move more than 500 miles away, I would move to one of the poorest, desperate countries in the world because I'm way past due for my heart to be broken.3) If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when evangelists or any other "ists" use the phrase "sow a seed."4) If I could do anything else for a living and make the same money I'm making now, it would be to direct movies that don't suck.5) That shameless shill Jason Boyett's Pocket Guide books are stacked neatly, unread, on my desk.

Beth

posted August 28, 2009 at 4:02 pm

1. The most vivid dream I ever had involved a man named Zimmerman Limmermacht. You can read about it here: http://www.onwardhoe.com/2007/08/25/here-we-go-again/2. If I had to move more than 500 miles away, I would move to either Portland, Oregon or Madrid. Portland, because they have vegan sidewalk food carts, and Madrid because, well, it's really awesome.3. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when people chew with their mouths open, smacking and breathing all heavy.4. If I could do anything else for a living and make the same money I'm making now, it would be sleeping.5. That shameless shill Jason Boyett's Pocket Guide books are books that I hope to read one day when I'm smart enough.

Keith

posted August 31, 2009 at 8:38 am

1) The most vivid dream I ever had involved Disney mascots (I distinctly recall Goofy) pulling my teeth out. 2) If I had to move more than 500 miles away, I would move to Canada because whatever necessitates my having to move 500 miles away is probably something (a natural disaster? a restraining order? what is it?) that necessitates my leaving the country. 3) If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when I fail to accomplish anything during a day in which I need to accomplish something!4) If I could do anything else for a living and make the same money I'm making now, it would be graphic design/movie production.5) That shameless shill Jason Boyett's Pocket Guide books are fun to read non-linearly.

Lauren

posted August 31, 2009 at 12:07 pm

@keithI agree, reading the pocket guides non-linearly is MUCH more fun.

Thomas

posted August 31, 2009 at 12:31 pm

1) The most vivid dream I ever had involved me running from something, but I couldn't turn my head to see what it was.2) If I had to move more than 500 miles away, I would move to Seattle because I always sleep when it's rainin' (thanks Rob Thomas!).3) If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when people say 'what?' when you've just said something. If you wait long enough, they'll answer your original question…trust me.4) If I could do anything else for a living and make the same money I'm making now, it would be coaching 8 year old girls soccer. They're so mean at that age, I love it.5) That shameless shill Jason Boyett's Pocket Guide books are only a purchase away.

Rye

posted August 31, 2009 at 2:50 pm

1) The most vivid dream I ever had involved driving a Jeep in the South American rain forest. I started to back the Jeep up over a cliff and then realized I went too far — the Jeep started falling and so did I, down thousands of feet to a river. I woke up right before I hit the water.2) If I had to move more than 500 miles away, I would move to Portland because hearing about Oregon in Mat Kearney's songs makes me want to see what it's like there.3) If there's one thing I can't stand, it's when my dad bites down on his fork and then pulls the tines out from between his teeth (like nails on a chalkboard…ugh).4) If I could do anything else for a living and make the same money I'm making now, it would be riding zip lines in the middle of a forest (since I am looking for a job now and not making money anyway).5) That shameless shill Jason Boyett's Pocket Guide books are hilarious.