O Me of Little Faith

O Me of Little Faith

Dear God, I Have a Question

posted by Jason Boyett

I’ve been thinking lately about the questions I have for God, the kinds of things I would ask if I could get an answer, and which I do ask from time to time. They’re the kinds of questions that aren’t always acceptable to ask in some religious circles — they indicate, in some minds, a lack of faith (which not everyone deals with very well). But I think it’s healthy to ask questions of God. If you look at the Bible, guys like Moses and David and Elijah and Jeremiah all got away with asking very serious questions of God. Job spends a whole book questioning the Almighty…then God (sorta) rewards him for it in the end.

My upcoming book about doubt and spiritual weakness (Zondervan) asks a lot of these questions, and in most cases, they’re questions for which I don’t have good answers. The Bible doesn’t really have satisfactory answers either. Neither does most theology.

Because I’m editing the book right now and am curious, I’m wondering what questions you might ask God if you knew you could get an answer? Not goofy questions like “What is the purpose of mosquitoes, anyway?” or “Why allow the continued existence of Carrot Top?” but real, hard, serious questions.

Here’s my big question, at least for now:

Most so-called “proofs” of God are subjective, disputable, and can somehow be explained away by science. Why doesn’t God give us more substantial, objective proof that he exists?

That’s my question. What’s yours?

Dawn

posted April 20, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Not as deep as your question…but I’ve long wondered about the death penalty. Struggled w/how it’s supposed to be OK, yet I don’t see how it aligns w/the new testament message of grace.And, the forever question, if he already knows what will happen? Then why do we have to go through this? Can’t we just fast forward?

Ken

posted April 20, 2009 at 2:19 pm

To continue with Dawn’s excellent lead in – the big question would be “Why?” Why are we here – what is the point – and to borrow from Douglas Adams, What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything? (and yes, whenever someone asks if they can ask me something, I immediately respond with “42”).I mean, if we’re going to follow this hypothetical and assume that we can ask God anything and He would answer us, then that would have to be my question.And please, don’t anyone respond with “our purpose is to glorify God” – because that doesn’t REALLY answer the question.Needless to say, I’m looking forward to your book!

Amanda

posted April 20, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I have a question that isn't that deep either, but I think it's a valid question. Actually, it is my husband's question which he brought up a few days ago: How did the animals on the ark get to different continents?I've got tons of my own questions too. Like, how the heck do free will & predestination work out??But questions such as these don't really make a difference to me, personally, because at the end of the day, the answers don't change the fact that Christ died for my sins, was raised from the grave & is now alive & well, seated at the right hand of the Father, awaiting his command to come back for us. But I do realize that for many people, the aforementioned questions ARE relevant & their faith does hinge on these types of things.Just yesterday at church, the speaker read from I Cor 15, on the Resurrection of the Dead, in which Paul tells us that if Christ was not raised from the dead, then "our preaching is useless & so is [our] faith." (v14) I trust Scripture & the people who wrote it; that the writers of the 4 gospels were eyewitnesses, & Paul as well (as he met Jesus on the road to Demascus). If Christ was indeed not raised from the dead, I don't believe the same men who fled out of fear when Jesus was arrested would come back just days later, willing to die for their belief. It just doesn't make sense to go into hide but then suddenly become willing martyrs. But during the sermon, I started wondering, "How on earth would I convince someone of Christ's resurrection? If the person doesn't trust the Bible, I really have no way to win them over, do I?"All that to say… I guess that's my question. "God, what else is there, aside from the Bible, to prove Christ's existence, His death & resurrection?" (This question also spawned from the upcoming documentary "The God Who Wasn't There.)Sheesh, can I ramble or what??

Anonymous

posted April 20, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Why is that some people seem to have more problems/struggles than others? I guess, I would flesh that out with, why do some people have so many bad things happen to them over and over again, as if they are a magnet for bad things? Why do some people just naturally deal well with problems, and others flounder? How do you know when it has to do with sin issues in a person’s life and when it has to do with satan’s interference? How do you love that person right there in that place and how do you help them get past it? I guess that was a lot of questions, not just one.

Anonymous

posted April 20, 2009 at 7:38 pm

My question to God would be:Why does it take so long for an answer?

Felicity

posted April 20, 2009 at 7:39 pm

I’d like to know if things really change when I pray about them. I mean, if they do then why is it that I can pray for two very similar issues and get two absolutely opposite results? Does it really matter if I pray or are things just going to happen the way they happen anyway?(And, like everyone else, I have my own ideas and I’ve read/heard plenty of others . . . I’m just answering the question you asked. This is my question for God.)

nickflight

posted April 20, 2009 at 9:33 pm

these are all great questions and some of them I would ask as well.another question I would ask would be– God, what went on in eternity past before Creation of the earth and universe and everything?

shueytexas

posted April 20, 2009 at 11:52 pm

First of all, to address your throw-away questions: it’s obvious that Carrot Top exists as a plentiful source of nutrition for many birds and fish, not to mention bats. He also pollinates, along with bees, the world’s beautiful flowers. Mosquitoes provide endless entertainment with their original prop-based humor.As for a serious question: why Jesus? Why did we need God to become man/send his son to die to pay our debt of sin?It makes a wonderful story, but it has an arbitrary nature that bothers me.As we’re taught, God created us and gave us free will, lest we be mind-numbed robots programmed only to love him, and where’s the sport in that?So…we sin. God is holy, and he can’t bear the unjust. Something must be done.But it was a design flaw in the first place! He is omniscient, so He had to know we’d mess up when he gave us brains and wants.So because of this inherent flaw, we screw up. And the solution is…to send a God-man down to be horribly beaten and killed? God’s omnipotence suggests there could have been another solution. Or three or four.I dunno. My faith has shown me the highest highs of my life. But questions like this, ones that don’t hold up to facile Sunday-school answers, sometimes cause an unbearable dissonance.

rickyg

posted April 21, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Question – Why haven’t you left yet?

Matt

posted April 22, 2009 at 11:41 am

My question is “why is it sometimes easier to question than to accept and other times easier to accept than to question?” Not sure if that is for G-d or for me. Just a quick thought – all of the questions left as comments here admit a belief in G-d and a belief that G-d ultimately has a plan; otherwise these wouldn’t be our questions…

theicequeen

posted April 26, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Similar questions have almost driven me crazy in the past few days…how exactly do i “choose” when i am already predestined to do something? like how i find it hard to accept the “Judas is a bad guy” story..really? is he? he was predestined to do what he did,the story wouldn’t be the same if he didn’t do what he did..and yet, Judas is to be cursed and condemned…and like Ken said…WHY? really..why? i asked my dad that a year ago, and he gave me the typical response i get from everywhere, and that i’ve learnt to give myself..just hush and don’t ask quesions, just take it as it is..but that leaves me more frustrated than i started out.and then i feel like brainwashing is the only way to rationalize it, just believe what you are fed, and if you’re not being fed, ignore!and really, what is the deal with religion? everyone born into a family practicing a certain religion will tend to believe that staying true to that religion is true obedience…it gets hard to understand that God will send people to eternal doom for being obedient to that which they know from birth..and and…*sigh* so many questions, and no answers in sightloooong comment..sorry..had to get if off my chest somewhere :P..that being said..i am sticking to my faith..hopefully i’ll get some answers along tha way