My Happy Place

My Happy Place

The “Being” in Human Being

posted by kjackson

This morning when Joe was getting up to go to work I mumbled incoherently “I’ve been to hell and back in one night”. Yes, I am a drama queen and that was an overstatement, but it was pretty awful. Any parent can relate to this:

Last night, just as I drifted off to sleep after an incredibly busy day, a little girl came to my bed, “Mom? My tummy hurts” (Don’t panic. It was Easter Candy Consumption issues.) and that was the beginning of the end. I offered the love, the compassion, the Tylenol (is there *any* medication for under-12-year-old tummy aches?), and the couch. Thirty minutes later she returned…and again…and again. Finally, I simply moved to the couch with her. When I would start to drift off, she would cry…or moan…or whimper. Once when I got quiet, she startled awake, “MOM! Oh….I just thought you had left!” This went on for three hours…followed by the inevitable vomiting…followed by an hour clean-up. And then, after she crawled up in her bed–fully healed, glory Hallelujah!–and fell in to a deep slumber, I *of course* couldn’t sleep.

This morning I wake very late to find her humming a little tune as she chomps on her cereal! She looks up brightly, “Good morning, Mom!” I just had to laugh. “Umm….how about a ‘thank you, Mom’ for last night’s love and support?” She giggles, “Yeah…I was trying to think how to say that…”

But here’s the thing. I didn’t DO anything. I had no magical cure. Heck, I didn’t even have the appropriate medicine! I felt so helpless and ineffective. Yet she wanted me there…begged for me to be there and panicked if I wasn’t. What was I to her in those hours? I was simply being.  My being was with her being and there was great comfort in that. So many times I get caught up with what I can do or what I can say but many times the hurting people in my life just need me to BE.  Most children have a grasp of this and know to ask for it. My child even said so eloquently, “I just feel better with you here”. Adults, however, sometimes have a hard time asking for it.

It gives meaning to the phrase “just be there for me”.

And so I take a deep breath… let go of my perceived wisdom, abilities, talents, information…and determine to simply “be there” for the people in my life….

your northern friend

posted April 30, 2011 at 1:42 am

try a little bit of coke (real stuff not diet) or dr. pepper for tummy aches. You can also buy a cola syrup that works sometimes on sick tummies for little ones.

kjackson

posted April 30, 2011 at 8:12 am

I suggested this one but she didn’t go for it….

Tanna

posted April 28, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I like the simplicity of this. I like to simplify life. You did this so well in your blog. Thanks

kjackson

posted April 29, 2011 at 10:08 am

Thank you, Tanna! Yes, I’m always trying to think of how to pare life down to the best parts :)

Andrea

posted April 27, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Ah! so true. We just need to “be.” We don’t need to try to fix all the time. I will remember that today and just be there for the people in my life.

kjackson

posted April 28, 2011 at 8:49 am

Since I had been up all night, I didn’t write this one until noon….I like how it still managed to start your day! That’s the only advantage to having you across the ocean, Girl! Miss you. I was thinking some more about this blog yesterday and I remember reading in some book about how after a tragedy there was a group of women who would go to the peoples’ house and just sit. Just be there. For hours. Crocheting on the couch.

vi

posted April 27, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I am a teacher, not a nurse, but I gave one to my world and that has been very helpful for many. And I did clean up after them often because that is what mothers do. Carry on!URL

kjackson

posted April 27, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Mom, you were always good about “being there” when I was sick.

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting My Happy Place page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!

posted 11:24:23am Apr. 18, 2012 | read full post »

Turn the Radio On
Recently the kids and I have been listening to an audio book when we're in the car, but, sometimes, between discs, we'll let the radio play. Since we gave up TV years ago...and I don't read the news, either...we can be a little out of the loop. Maybe Kirsten listening to the Tulsa radio is a bit lik

posted 8:02:27am Dec. 04, 2011 | read full post »

Miracles in the Midst of Sorrow
I've found there is no logic to how I feel in the middle of grief. I've received huge gifts, and--although I'm thankful for them because they assure me I don't have to make a drastic lifestyle change at the same time that our family has been changed so drastically--I sometimes don't have an emotiona

posted 9:33:07am Dec. 02, 2011 | read full post »

Like a Symphony
Sometimes I actually think :). I like to plan and compare and problem solve. Sometimes I think my way to an answer. Sometimes I make choices based solely on my gut whether the choice seems logical or not. I feel my way to an answer (I use this method more often than thinking!). Then there was

posted 8:08:11am Dec. 01, 2011 | read full post »

Dancing Thankful
People are always saying how it amazes them how I think, wish, pray for something and then it appears. To me this is a normal way of living so it confuses me when they say such things. I wonder, though, if maybe these little miracles aren't happening to them, too, and they're just not giving them cr

posted 7:55:34am Nov. 29, 2011 | read full post »