My Happy Place

My Happy Place

Start Shining!

posted by kjackson

This morning I was driving into the morning sun and I pulled down the visor mirror to take a look at my tired eyes. And they were indeed tired. The wrinkles were more pronounced than usual and the sun was hitting my face in such a way that I could really see them. And I got a bit emotional.

I can hear you now. You’re thinking, “Oh, great. Another one of those blogs where a 39 year old bemoans the fact that she’s no longer in her 20’s and goes on and on about her face and her body and her hair…”

No worries; you’re wrong. :)  I got a bit emotional because I saw the white skin, the freckles, the hazel eyes–and I saw my sister Willa’s features.  I love Willa…and her freckles…and her hazel eyes…and, yes, her wrinkles, and– in that love–I find love for myself.

My Mom was38 years old when I was born and my older sisters were teenagers.  When I was eight two of my sisters started having babies and I became acquainted with such things as stretch marks.  As a teenager I would play double solitaire with my Mom and I was fascinated with my Mom’s beautiful hands with pronounced veins and small wrinkles.  When I was in my early 30’s my sister Starla’s hair turned from blond to a beautiful silver and she grew it to her shoulders and let it become a focal point.

Now when I look at Willa’s smile lines or Mom’s hand veins or Starla’s  silver hair,  I simply see those things as part of them. And I love these women.  I see the beauty that shines through them. I think being the “young ‘un” in this family has been healthy for me because it’s helped me to see that no one really cares if I have a few extra wrinkles…or pounds…or gray hairs. If I am shining–full of love and joy–people see the light in me and they aren’t concerned with the bodily package.

I push the mirror visor up where it belongs, turn from it to the people in my life, and start SHINING!

kjackson

posted April 22, 2011 at 9:11 am

Hello, Friend-from-the-North. That *is* Mater in the picture! Did you see that he even made the cut for my header? This picture we took the same night you dropped him off. I feel so sad that his life was short…but he sure gave us a lot of joy and good photos during that lifespan!

About the blog…yes, this one was most definitely “inspired”. I was loving my wrinkly eyes (because I saw my sister in them) at the same moment my sister was buying wrinkle-cream! I didn’t know it at the time, but the blog was my way of sending some love her way. Which, of course, is always available to her…but the timing was right :).

your friend from the north

posted April 22, 2011 at 1:22 am

Is that mater in the pic? I think this entry is one of my favorites.

Your Name

posted April 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Very positive perspective on ageing and family, well written.

Tanna

posted April 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Loved hearing from you.

kjackson

posted April 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm

DMA, I always accept your hugs! Thank you!

David-Michael Allen

posted April 18, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Hugs are for affirmation and condolences. You deserve plenty of both. :-D

kjackson

posted April 18, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Thank you, Mary…an excellent scripture to share!

Kathy…you’re a dear! Thanks for reading and commenting.

Mary Graves

posted April 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm

When I read your post I thought of Matthew 5:14-16:

14 “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”

As we continue through Holy Week, my hope is that all God’s children will let our light shine brightly…. and give praise for that light!

Kathy

posted April 18, 2011 at 8:44 am

What a beautiful story of how LIGHT emminates and GLOWS from a beautiful heart! Love your blog. Love you.

Connan

posted April 17, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I agree with your idea. It is great.

kjackson

posted April 17, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Hello Connan and Jay! It’s exciting to have representatives from China reading my blog! I hope you visit often.

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting My Happy Place page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!

posted 11:24:23am Apr. 18, 2012 | read full post »

Turn the Radio On
Recently the kids and I have been listening to an audio book when we're in the car, but, sometimes, between discs, we'll let the radio play. Since we gave up TV years ago...and I don't read the news, either...we can be a little out of the loop. Maybe Kirsten listening to the Tulsa radio is a bit lik

posted 8:02:27am Dec. 04, 2011 | read full post »

Miracles in the Midst of Sorrow
I've found there is no logic to how I feel in the middle of grief. I've received huge gifts, and--although I'm thankful for them because they assure me I don't have to make a drastic lifestyle change at the same time that our family has been changed so drastically--I sometimes don't have an emotiona

posted 9:33:07am Dec. 02, 2011 | read full post »

Like a Symphony
Sometimes I actually think :). I like to plan and compare and problem solve. Sometimes I think my way to an answer. Sometimes I make choices based solely on my gut whether the choice seems logical or not. I feel my way to an answer (I use this method more often than thinking!). Then there was

posted 8:08:11am Dec. 01, 2011 | read full post »

Dancing Thankful
People are always saying how it amazes them how I think, wish, pray for something and then it appears. To me this is a normal way of living so it confuses me when they say such things. I wonder, though, if maybe these little miracles aren't happening to them, too, and they're just not giving them cr

posted 7:55:34am Nov. 29, 2011 | read full post »