A Touch of Encouragement

A Touch of Encouragement

Are You Still Grieving?

posted by Brandi Harkonen

Martha Williamson reaches out to a viewer who tragically lost her son.

Lynn Baum

posted June 15, 2010 at 7:29 am

Thank you for sharing this with me. I am terribly saddened by events in our lives. My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter was murdered by my a boyfriend of my daughter while her twin sister watched in July 2008 and due to a technicality he still walks free. Since then, my daughter turned to the Lord, the twin’s father’s parents convinced him to leave my daughter, he joined military and was awarded temporary custody of the one twin and gave her to this mother, they secretly still see each other and conceive another child, his mother convinces him to fight for custody of the other child but not persue divorce.
The story is a continuing battle that we are praying thru. Like David’s struggles with Saul, it seems never ending. Please remember us as we struggle to regain custody of our precious twin and keep the one we have. This world is such a sad place at times and we claim the promises but know we bow to the Lord’s will. God bless.

Judy

posted June 15, 2010 at 9:21 am

To the mom who lost her child through this unfortunate accident…Time is a healer, not of memories, but of hearts. Hearts that are broken, seemingly crushed, go on. Does it get easier? I don’t know,,but I do know that when I daily ask God to help me get through the hurt to the heart, it gets easier. Just knowing that God already knows my pain, when no one else does understand, makes it easier. I ask God today to reach your heart, your healing so that the memories will be lighter, more of the good things in your son’s life. I ask healing for your husband as well.

flowernthesnow

posted June 15, 2010 at 10:14 am

I hope moms is still listening and that time is healing your broken heart and I wish to remember your son today. Your husband must have also felt extreme guilt and the need to feel forgiven and he turned to the place where it is offered. Many marriages don’t survive such tragedy and I hope yours is stronger and you have clinged to one another for strength. I can only imagine all the emotions and feelings that the two of you are dealing with and have dealth with. I was only 16 when my father passed away and it took 20 years to come to terms with it. Sounds like an oxymoron but it hit me after studying Elizabeth Kubler-Ross’ stages of grief, that death is a part of life and something that simple helped me to move on after 20 years.
I watched a beautiful You Tube video of Peter Shub, a father who made his living by being a clown and lost his 5 year old son “Lucca” in a tragic restaurant accident when he touched a sculpture and it fell on him and crushed him. The video is very moving if anyone cares to watch it. It is titled “Awakening for the long sleep of life” although his heart is broken and the fact his son is forgotten to the world he still believes in celebrating life. His strong message is his son gave him the gift of feeling and to not fight those feelings. If you are grieving this is well worth cutting and pasting into your browser to watch.

Mary Hicks

posted June 15, 2010 at 11:21 am

M.O.M.S
I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. WE ALL ARE PRAYING FOR YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND..DONT GIVE UP. GOD LOVES YOU AND HAS A PLAN OF HOPE AND LOVE FOR YOU.
‘LOOK UP INTO THE SKY AND THERE I WILL BE.
I LOVE YOU AND YOU LOVE ME”
THAT IS WHAT YOUR LITTLE ANGEL IS SAYING TO YOU.
WITH LOVE AND HUGS
MARY

Debbie

posted June 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Dear Moms,
I can’t begin to understand your feeling of loss. But allow me to share mine with you. About thirty years ago I became pregnant for the third time. On my second visit to the doctor my blood pressure was so high they were encouraging me to have an abortion because “Women who are this toxic this early in their pregnancies either never go to full term or deliiver still-born babies.” I could not abort and through medication my blood pressure was held in check until my seventh month. When my doctor said to me, “Debbie, you can go home to pack your bag and I’ll meet you at the hospital in one hour. I’m admitting you.” After two weeks they could hardly hear his heart beat and decided to do an emergency c-section the following morning; and gave me steriod injections that night. They were mostly concerned about his lungs not being fully developed. So we had people across the country praying for this little guys lungs. When he was born, his lungs were like iron, but there is a valve in a person’s heart that closes when they are born and his didn’t. He lived eleven days. I don’t remember exactly when it happened, but I can now speak of Joshua without breaking down and crying. One treasure in my heart is at his funeral our pastor said, “I know you didn’t choose the name ‘Joshua’ by acident. If you remember, he was one of the first Israelites into the Promised Land. Be comforted that your Joshua is waiting for you in the heavenly promised land.” And I am.

Lenore

posted June 15, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I can not even imagine what you are going through. Just know that God is holding you now and will give you peace.
I recently watched the movie The Bucket List, in it Denzel Washington said,” the stars are the holes to the floor of heaven” I was so touched by that because a very, very dear friend had passed and I missed him terribly. Thinking of this analogy, if you will, made me feel as if he were watching over me and I felt comfort. Now when I look at the stars, I smile, I pray and sometimes I cry, but I now feel more at peace.
I don`t think you can ever “get over” loosing someone. I think you have to find a place of comfort by thinking of them, loving them still and taking one tiny step at a time through the day.
My prayers are with you.
Lenore

SHARON A MALONE

posted June 15, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS.I PRAYED THAT YOU ARE DOING MUCH BETTER.I LOST MY FATHER 3 YEARS AGO.MY MOTHER LOST HER SON OVER 30 YEARS AGO.YOU NEVER GET OVER LOSING A CHILD.YOU EXPECT TO GO BEFORE YOUR CHILDREN.MY PARENTS NEVER GOT OVER LOSING MY BROTHER.MY SISTER IS A YOUNG WIDOW,SHE WAS 46 YEARS OLD.IT IS A YEAR.SHE IS SO LONELY AND STRUGGLING.YOU ARE NOT ALONE,JESUS KNOWS YOUR PAIN.HE SAID COME TO ME,ALL YOU ARE WEARY AND HEAVY LADEN.I WILL GIVE YOU REST.JESUS IS WAITING FOR YOU WITH OPEN ARMS.YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND.GOD BLESS YOU BOTH SHARON

SuzanneWA

posted June 15, 2010 at 8:50 pm

“MOMS,” i am so deeply sorry for your loss. Having never had a child, I can only imagine the pain when a mother loses her child. I, too, have had many losses; my adopted father; my adopted mother; my brother; and two husbands. Although we may never understand WHY our loved ones were taken so suddenly and for no apparent reason, we MUST learn to lean on the Lord, who gives wisdom and comfort, even on the darkest days. I lost my last husband in 2003, and the wound is still not closed. I think about him often – he was my “soul mate,” – but can’t dwell on the “might have been’s.” The all-too-brief time we had together will remain a lovely memory, and, while I miss all of my loved ones, I miss him most of all. As Martha said, we can get “through” our grief with help from the Scriptures which, though written many eons ago, still can bring peace and closure. I pray, with all my heart, that you will turn to God, and that you allow him into your heart and soul. With all my love, Suzanne Winter-Austin.

ANGIE

posted June 15, 2010 at 10:27 pm

M.O.M.S
There is no words that I can say that will take that pain away . But I know in my heart that the Lord will not let you or your husband down.He is always there for us , We will go through Tribulations ,
But I cant imagin the grief that you felt. I am so sorry for your loss.You and your husband will be in my Prayers.I am greatfull for Martha to write this so that we can all pray for your family!!!!!I hope today you are in a better place in your mind and heart.
My Thoughts & Prayers God Bless Angie

Dianne Pusey

posted June 15, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Dear Moms,
my heart aches for you,for hearing your pain. I cannot say I’ve suffered something as tragic as losing a loved one in the manner in which you have, but I can relate to the pain of loss and the grieve which accompanies it and know that it can be difficult to rise up again and live. I have however come to appreciate the love of God reaching out to me even during those difficult times, and even when I did’t think that His love was sufficient. One amazing day however when my pain was so unbearable,I drove my car to a spot where I usually meet with the Lord, laid my head on the steering wheel and simply cried my eyes out.
As I sat crying i could hear myself repeating over and over again,”God this pain is so excruciating, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.
Suddenly a hush came over me as I heard a whisper of my name and i became rigid in my seat….
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying to me(not audibly of course yet it seemed that Way as he whispered my name again)” that pain which you are feeling right now, take it and multiply it by infinity, that’s the pain I bore to show how much I love you when I died on the cross for you”
At that instant a different feeling came over me and the tears started to flow again, this time not from a grief stricken attitude, but from one of deep penitence, and a richer understanding and greater appreciation of the love of Christ. I felt so much love and comfort from God’s presence that I wanted to rest there for ever and I communicated that much to him. However amazingly what the Lord said to me afterward and the way he lifted his presence like someone pulling away a warm blanket told me that the pain that I endured than and countless others was for a purpose and I must go through it. Needless to say during my valley moments Jesus never once left me, even when at times I didn’t sense His presence, just a mere whisper of His name brings assurance and peace to my mind. I pray that somehow during this time of grief, you’ll find enough strength just to breathe the name of Jesus and give to Him that pain you’re experiencing right now. You’ll be amazed to see how the One who is most “touched by the feelings of our infirmities” work in your life. I’ll keep praying for you Moms and I believe that
God through his Holy Spirit will restore joy, hope, strength and peace so you can truly live again.

Jeanette

posted June 16, 2010 at 11:46 am

It is so amazing that I would choose today to listen to Martha Williamson for the first time, and that she would relay your letter on this day. Today, June 16th, my son Ryan would have been 27 years old. He passed on to a better world 4 and a half years ago from cancer.
I have spent my time since then, just trying to get to a place where I don’t feel guilt, remorse, loss and grief. But those things are always with me, even on my happiest days. I have found, however, that with God all things are possible. Faith has sustained me even when I didn’t realize it at the time. I lost my husband 18 months after Ryan, then my mother 18 months after that. I began hating the period of 18 months expecting something else to happen, someone else to leave me.
But, it is not about the people that have “left” us. It is about the fact that God has chosen them to come home to him. Their work, whatever it may have been, was done and he was ready for them to move into their next and better phase of life. I have found that I can be happy for them and that when I pray for my faith to remain strong, I can also be happy for me through that faith. My favorite saying is:”When God closes a door, he opens a window.” How true this is! Out of every action, comes a reaction that opens that window, helps us to find that path we are looking for.
You will find this peace and your new path by giving yourself to God and truly placing yourself and your life in his hands. He will show you everything you need to know and so much you never dreamed of, if you let him.
I pray your life is better every day. Mine is, one day at a time. In my listening to your story, he brought me full circle today, on my son’s birthday…never doubt God’s will. He truly has all our best interests at heart, even though we may not know it.
Yours in God’s love,
Jeanette :-)

Janet

posted June 17, 2010 at 2:52 pm

M.O.M.S
I feel for your loss, I can’t imagine – nor do I want too! I hope you can find it from inside yourself and with the help of the Lord Jesus, find the inner strength to let go. I don’t mean to forget, but let go! You won’t forget, you will only learn to live again! I know this isn’t what you want to hear, because the words LIVE AGAIN makes you feel selfish and almost greedy, but you aren’t, you are HUMAN, let God figure out the rest! I will pray for you, and I only hope that the courage inside you lights up, LOVE, love is what will save you!
Your husband, I can’t even suggest words, WORDS to describe his self punishment he must feel……..however, he has the RIGHT thought, the Bible, in this he will find a way to forgive himself and move forward! I hope you both find it in yourselves to LOVE and LIVE,… as we are meant to do. Just remember, moving forward isn’t forgetting, and because you move on doesn’t mean you forget the pain, life will be different, but… you learn to – LIVE AGAIN!
God Bless you and your husband, all the best to you both…….I send prayers your way!

deborah

posted June 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I HAVE ALL WAY WHAT TO FIND SOMEONE TO TALK ABOUT MY BABY I LOST MY BABY IN 1975 I WAS 17 YEARS OLD I WORD UP I FOUND HER BACK THERE CALL IT CRIB DEATH SHE WAS BORN IN OCT AND SHE WAS WHEN US TILL NOV ON THANKSGIVING SHE IS 34 NOW AND I STILL HUNT SOMETIME I MISS HER I TRY NOT TO LET IT UPSET ME SO MUSH NOW BUT IT IS HARD I WAS JUST A KID MYSELF AND I WAS PUTTING MY BABY AWAY I KNOW THAT LIKE GOES ON BECAUSE I HAVE 2 KIDS TODAY THAT ARE 33 31 BUT LIKE I TALL EVERYBODY NO ONE CAN TAKE MY FIRST BABY PLACE MY SPELLING NOT THAT GOOD SO I HOPE YOU CAN READ THIS I JUST HAD TO TELL MY STORY I CANNOT HOLD IT IN NO MORE THE ONE THING THAT KEEP ME GOING IS THAT I KNOW I WILL SEE HER ONE DAY AND SHE WILL RUN TO ME AND SAY MOTHER I LOVE YOU SOMETIME I STILL FELL HER AROUND ME WE I GO TO VISIT HER GAVE AND IT LIKE I DON’T WONT TO LEVER BUT I HAVE TO THANK YOU FOR LIST TO ME MY PRAY GO OUT TO ALL THE FAMILY THAT HAVE LOST KIDS SAY A PRAY FOR MY AIM 54 I STILL HAVE TRIES THAT I CRY FOR MY BABY