Lynn v. Sekulow

Lynn v. Sekulow

Liberty University Changes Partisan Policy

posted by Rev. Barry W. Lynn

The Lynchburg News and Advance reported on Liberty University’s announcement yesterday that it was changing its policy in regard to student political clubs.  From now on, no partisan clubs, even the Republican Club, will be given “official” status or receive any student funding.  This is a significant step in the right direction.

As I mentioned before, I felt strongly that the previous policy of granting the campus Republicans preferential treatment  was a sort of “in kind” contribution to one party that could jeopardize Liberty University’s tax exempt status.  Americans United actually filed a formal complaint with the Internal Revenue Service suggesting a timely investigation.

I feel confident that Liberty’s change of heart was directly related to its fear of an IRS probe.  Although Falwell’s attorney denies it, methinks he doth protest too much.  It is my hope, that across the political spectrum, churches, universities and all non-profits work hard to make sure that they are strictly non-partisan, defending principles and letting politicians fend for themselves.

To subscribe to “Lynn v. Sekulow” click here.

Rich

posted June 23, 2009 at 4:50 pm

I am thankful and glad that AU brought this issue to the attention of the IRS. Liberty University has clearly tossed aside any deeply held philosophical concerns in favor of monetary concerns. That is fine as that is their right. What would not have been their right would have been to continue along in a very partisan manner and continue to receive a tax exemption.

Mary-Lee

posted June 23, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Congratulations and good job, Barry.
So what’s the story about the Sussex County Council that insists on starting every meeting with the Lord’s Prayer and has sponsored a Prayer Breakfast for the past thirty two years? Any action on that yet? I live in Delaware, so I’m very interested.

Cara Floyd

posted June 24, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Cara

Your Name

posted June 25, 2009 at 9:55 am

“I feel confident that Liberty’s change of heart was directly related to its fear of an IRS probe. “
What on earth would a “Good ‘Christian’ faith-based University” (TM) have to “fear” regarding its government (i.e. taxpayer) subsidized financing?

Craig

posted June 25, 2009 at 10:24 am

Cara Floyd said:
“Just a quick note here. It is interesting to note how others have made saving the life of the Embryo a right wing thing. It is also interesting to note how others have funded taking the life of the Embryo. Lord’s Prayer, let them pray.”
So everything for you comes back to this abortion issue and the funding thereof? We get it, you want all abortions to end. It has nothing to do with this case. It is ironic that the organization that the right to lifers love to attack, Planned Parenthood, has as its primary goal to provide reproductive counseling to women so that they can control their own bodies. The vast majority of what Planned Parenthood does is to provide information and birth control services to help prevent unwanted pregnancies. Without them there would actually be a lot more abortions.
On the other hand, government sponsored religion, in the form of prayers as part of government meetings or providing tax breaks to religious organizations, threatens religious freedom. Liberty, which doesn’t deserve to be called a university, had to do this to retain their tax exempt status, but I believe that no religious organization should get any tax breaks because it is a violation of the establishment clause and amounts to government sponsorship of religion.

Mary-Lee

posted June 25, 2009 at 10:25 am

Cara, although admittedly I tossed in a red herring into this discussion, I did it once. You keep on tossing your red herring into every single discussion.
I also got an answer to my question from Americans United, just yesterday. Maybe there’s a reason ACLJ is not answering? Just a thought.

Mary-Lee

posted June 25, 2009 at 10:39 am

Is Liberty University even accredited? Is it working towards accreditation?
I wouldn’t go so far as to say that Liberty doesn’t deserve to be called a university, but if it’s not accredited or working to become accredited then you definitely do have a point. There are many, many religiously supported colleges and universities that do an excellent job of educating young people, but most of them are also accredited. Without that “stamp of approval,” I wouldn’t waste my money sending anyone there.

Cara Floyd

posted June 25, 2009 at 11:38 am

You know why? because they are people. When I feel that people are being destroyed from a Hitler viewpoint, I feel know matter what you write the fact that people are being destroyed with tax dollars or from the viewpoint that they are a blob of tissue it needs to be noted and changed.
It is on topic and straight on the issue of liberty and justice around the world.
Cara

Cara

posted June 25, 2009 at 11:42 am

Save children.
Cara

N. Lindzee Lindholm

posted June 27, 2009 at 1:46 am

If an organization is given tax exempt status, they should abide by the rules and regulations that entitle them to this privilege. A private organization’s values can be highlighted in other ways.
When I speak in church, I do not preach along party lines, although I have no problem with making my values clear, for example, that I am pro-life. I did quote JFK in my last sermon, stating “Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.” That’s about as political as it got.

N. Lindzee Lindholm

posted June 27, 2009 at 2:03 am

It’s a sad day and age when the burden of learning is placed solely on how the school teaches versus the burden being on the student to learn the material. Just last evening, I attended one of the summer concerts called Didgeridoo Down Under sponsored by our public library and several individual donors. The presenter, Mr. Lindsey, posed the question: What would schools or libraries be without books? A good book, motivation, perseverance, and stamina is all one needs to learn. Yes, excellent teachers and schools are extremely helpful, but the burden of learning should lie primarily on the student.

David

posted July 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm

I believe it’s time to end all Nonprofit exemptions from income taxation. These organizations should be subject tax rules as for-profit corporations. It certainly would simplify the reporting and would prevent some of the abuses which allow ministers to become millionaires, allow discriminatory practices toward employees, and hopefully curtail their political activities on our dime.

Another Blog To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting LynnvSekulow. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Jay Sekulow: Faith and Justice  Happy Reading!

posted 11:26:38am Aug. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Another blog to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Lynn V. Sekulow. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Jay Sekulow's Faith and Justice Happy Reading!!!

posted 10:36:04am Jul. 06, 2012 | read full post »

More to Come
Barry,   It's hard to believe that we've been debating these constitutional issues for more than two years now in this space.  I have tremendous respect for you and wish you all the best in your new endeavors.   My friend, I'm sure we will continue to square off in other forums - on n

posted 4:52:22pm Dec. 02, 2010 | read full post »

Thanks for the Memories
Well Jay, the time has come for me to say goodbye. Note to people who are really happy about this: I'm not leaving the planet, just this blog.As I noted in a personal email, after much thought, I have decided to end my participation and contribution to Lynn v. Sekulow and will be doing some blogging

posted 12:24:43pm Nov. 21, 2010 | read full post »

President Obama: Does He Get It?
Barry,   I would not use that label to identify the President.  I will say, however, that President Obama continues to embrace and promote pro-abortion policies that many Americans strongly disagree with.   Take the outcome of the election - an unmistakable repudiation of the Preside

posted 11:46:49am Nov. 05, 2010 | read full post »