J Walking

J Walking

Sen. Kennedy’s tumor… and mine

posted by David Kuo

This is not a time to get weepy or maudlin about Sen. Kennedy. He really has just begun to fight. I know what I’m talking about.
Five years ago, in the earliest hours of Palm Sunday morning, a doctor informed me that I had a malignant brain tumor. When I asked him how much time I had he said maybe weeks or months… with luck and drugs, maybe longer.
Yesterday I bought a Trek bike and rode it to and from my office. And in the five years since, I’ve had two children, spent time on the professional bass fishing tour, wrote a book, and am now helping start a company.
I have also gone through 18 rounds of chemo, adjusted to a life with occasional very mild seizures – I even had one once while testifying before a congressional committee and no one noticed – and been forced to live with the reality of my mortality knowing that things could change very quickly.
Our cases are obviously different. I’m younger, I’m taller, I’m half Asian, I’m a descendent of Jefferson Davis, I’m a sushi lover, I’m a lemon meringue pie eater. Perhaps one of those things makes the remnant tumor in my head less likely to occur. Perhaps not. The point is that each of our cases is unique. We know very, very little about gliomas, very little about the brain in fact. But we do know that Senator Kennedy has just begun this fight and what he needs are our prayers and great medical resources. We know that he has the latter – though I hope that one of the resources is Howard Fine, head of neuro-oncology at the National Institutes of Health – and we must give him the former as well.

aquaman

posted May 20, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Hang in there, Teddy.
You too, David.

Friar_Tuck

posted May 20, 2008 at 2:46 pm

It does seem sad to me that all of this has to happen in the public eye for Kennedy. It would have been nice if he could have had some privacy to deal with all of it.

Doug

posted May 20, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Long life to you both. My problem is mostly with the gray matter.

Brian Horan

posted May 20, 2008 at 4:18 pm

No one gets out of this life experience without being touched by death. Most people I know who’ve come close with death, in whatever way, would never wish the angst on anybody.
It’s nice to see the way even FOX news is putting partisanship aside today in their coverage of Ted Kennedy.
It’s sad that sometimes it takes a reflection of our mortality to unite us; or, even to motivate us individually. Our mortality is a very profound issue with which all of us are faced, without exception.
Let’s try to come together on easier issues.
Blessed be all!

canucklehead

posted May 20, 2008 at 7:29 pm

I pray healing for Mr. K and you as well, David.

Thinker

posted May 20, 2008 at 9:45 pm

I just watched Senator Robert Byrd – former KKK, 90 years old, oldest guy in the Senate – break down as he said publicly to Senator Kennedy – Ted, I love you. Heard Orin Hatch, John McCain, Hilary Clinton, Barack Obama, John Kerry and others – just got a glimpse of the real people who are the Senate. For years, Republicans put “Ted Kennedy” on any fundraising letter and the money rolled in. Democrats seemed afraid of his passion for life, for justice. He was the power behind, but everyone was a bit afraid of how powerful he could be. He was friends with Jerry Falwell and with other unlikely figures on the right. He has been part flawed hero and part mythical figure. But – something like this tumor puts him where he belongs – he is truly a beloved figure – he has perhaps had more to do with making us aware of injustices that are part of our culture than any other person in government. Now, this illness makes us see him with reality. No angel, no demon, just a man of great intellect and spirit who is determined to do the right thing . He’s flawed, but he has the ability to bring people together to work on legislation that matters to Democrats and to Republicans. You could see real pain in the eyes of his colleagues – there was nothing political about their pain. John McCain referred to him as the most effective senator. Look at the last 46 years and at the legislation he has sponsored or nurtured. We are a more just society because of him. He did not need to be president. It would have slowed him down.
When my daughter was in high school, she went to Washington for a week. She was touring the Senate building and saw a tiny dog on a leash. She reached down to pet the little dog and then looked up and at the other end of the leash was Ted Kennedy. “Mom, he was so big and the dog was so little.” He kindly spoke to her for a few minutes and she came home and could not get over the sense of “presence” in meeting him. For some reason that story came to mind today.
I have often thought that I would not like to be the person I would have been had it not been for the immense challenge of our child’s cancer. Perhaps, Senator Kennedy’s illness will be part of God’s plan to bring us out of the nonsensical scapegoating culture we currently embrace. David’s illness brought him to a place of truth. Our experience with childhood cancer simply transformed our life. Kennedy’s illness is perhaps opportunity for us all to be better people. God does work in very mysterious ways.

Donny

posted May 20, 2008 at 9:52 pm

I was kind of hoping you wouldn’t mention you and Mr. Kennedy. Your cases are definately different Mr. Kuo. I pray that Mr. Kennedy repents, before, during, or after, his treatments. (And has a long life too.) Other than that, I will heed my mothers advice on saying stuff on Mr. Kennedy . . .:

Rocks In My Dryer

posted May 20, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Well said.

Marlene

posted May 21, 2008 at 12:04 am

Donny — sometimes, silence is golden. Though your post was brief, you got your dig in with the word “repent.” You are not God and do not know the condition of a person’s heart. Let’s continue in prayer for David, Sen. Kennedy, the people of Myanmar, China, Africa, and those suffering all over the world.

canucklehead

posted May 21, 2008 at 12:17 am

Donny, how do you know Senator Kennedy hasn’t repented? You don’t.
Are you praying equally that George W. Bush will repent or is arrogance, profiteering, war-mongering, greed, greasing the enemy, gross incompetence, calculated deception, lying to the world, tossing the nation’s young to a meat-grinder, enslaving those yet unborn to debt, etc., not repentable material in your books?

Brian Horan

posted May 21, 2008 at 5:03 am

Donny,
Would Jesus kick somebody while they’re down? Would you put pre-conditions on God’s unconditional love?
Our Christian messiah went as far as identifying himself with prisoners and homeless people. He promised a thief on a cross paradise.
I highly recommend that you read the story of ‘The Prodigal Son’. Best to focus on the common not superficial at times like these. Otherwise, you’re really turning people off to Christianity dude.

Thinker

posted May 21, 2008 at 7:13 am

Guys, Donny’s post was exactly what I would have expected. Exactly what you would have expected. However, had it been one of us heathens that he knows – it would have been compassionate and prayerful. Some people see those outside their world as not quite real and not quite in the same human category. My mom is like that as is my sister. Lovelier women do not exist in this world – except for the bigoted, mean streak that never ever touches anyone they actually know. My sister hates Mexicans and Obama. She has no reason she can give. She has seen his picture and that’s enough. When I pointed out (as older sisters are wont to do) that such an attitude without reason said more about her than about him, she admitted – I’m prejudiced and I don’t care. She is giving, caring, prayerful, a loving mother and wife and makes me crazy because she hates people without even knowing why. My mother – on the the other hand – hates Al Gore. She too has not ever heard him speak, has no clue as to anything he has ever done, but hates him because he “looks arrogant”. I finally figured out that both of them simply need to hate someone – both have difficult lives – and it might as well be Obama and Gore and they might as well have some sort of prejudice intact. Both express the idea that these people will “repent” someday. Repent of being black? of being brown, of being tall and proud? Darn – it’s hard to be in a family sometimes. Even a family online.

Brian Horan

posted May 21, 2008 at 7:47 am

Donny,
I’d like David to profile you so we can meet the man, the myth, and the legend. You may be a right-wing nut; but, you’re our right-wing nut.
I have a message for you dude from the left wing of heaven, and you need to pass it on: “God loves you man!”
Thinker,
I’ve got loving nut jobs in my family too. But, after Huckabee made those comments at the NRA rally, to my absolute amazement , my family is embarrassed. There’s hope Thinker
I have a BS in Business and Spanish. Before my mom retired from nursing (loving profession), I’d say she was a little less disposed to Latinos than say, just lukewarm. When I took up Spanish, it must have kindled something more than a decade ago.
My mother hikes off the beaten path, frequents, and plays down in Mexico. I’m not talking resort towns for rich gringos.
canucklehead,
I’m feeling the heat in my semi-arid desert mountain climate. Couldn’t sleep very well this evening, even down in the basement. My wife and I gotta put up a swamp cooler [*hint to anybody: in dry desert climates swamp coolers work nearly as well as AC and they're much more energy efficient (i.e., cheaper energy bills)*].
How’s the weather in Alberta? Don’t you live around Calgary? Gotta check your profile again.
Donny,
I love you man.

eastcoastlady

posted May 21, 2008 at 7:52 am

Thinker, my mother was in Auschwitz and other concentration camps and both her parents were murdered by the time she was 15; her brother had been separated from her early in the war and she never saw him again.
She then had an extraordinarily difficult marriage to my father (not bad in the beginning but atrocious later on).
She needs to hate NOBODY and continues to try to instill a sense of compassion in her three grown children.
No one “needs” to hate anyone. It’s a crutch, an excuse. I’m not buying it.

eastcoastlady

posted May 21, 2008 at 7:59 am

Now back to Senator Kennedy. I don’t understand how some people can take such delight in his suffering and condition. On Rod Dreher’s site yesterday, all many of them could say is, “Well, he’s from Massachusetts, and he’s a liberal, and he killed that girl Mary Jo Kopechnie and hasn’t repented, so he won’t get my prayers”. Even Rod was so disgusted he shut down the blog.
I don’t understand the need to paint people in striped of liberal (and thus, immoral, per many conservatives), or conversely, conservative, (and thus, right-wing nut).
There doesn’t seem to be a capability to disagree civilly anymore. It’s a good thing laws are enacted by Congress and not by majority rule, or there would be tyranny. Even Congress doesn’t always get along. Is it any wonder, the way we behave as individuals?

eastcoastlady

posted May 21, 2008 at 8:00 am

David Kuo, my apologies for not yet taking the time to wish you continued good health.

Apology doesn't always mean "I'm sorry."

posted May 21, 2008 at 8:29 am

Thinker (et al), Kennedy believes that human children are not human children unless they escape the abortionists knife blade (D&C). Stabbing a baby in the head with scissors and sucking out its brain is NOT LOVE. In Boston and San Francisco, there was literally dancing in the streets at the death of Jerry Falwell. If James Dobson were stricken like this, Beliefnet.com would explode with the liberals and progressives rejoicing in legion. We have that proof in Falwell. You lefties have to believe your opposition “hates” you. It is the only way you can justify the abominations that liberalism has inflicted on the Gospel. How hateful to inflict on a child “two dads” or “two moms.” Pure selfishness is NOT LOVE. Where is the section eight houses in Kennedy’s neighborhood????? It It is not hate to oppose evil. Unless of course you love Satan and demomic activities. I view abortion as Satanic and demonic, and the insatiable need to alter marriage and the scriptures as very evil. To tax the honest to pay for everything the lazy refuse to. It is easy to see that guys like Gore are hell-bent to rule the populace. The literally invent new religions (Global Warming=Gaia worship) and go on revival meetings to force marxist socialism on all. Yet, his brand of socialism “claims” to be freedom incarnate. It is totalitarianism by the bad guys. Like guys like Obama you can prove the evil by watching the results. The inner-city is proof of that. I don’t like Kennedy FOR REASONS that are real and proveable. Not just because he literally got away with murder. His “personal views” are incompatible with Apostolic truth. I wished him well in the tone of the lessons I learn from the Apostles and the Gospel. He has not repented for gay marriage and his ENDA Bill will force all Christians to abide in homosexuality or suffer legal consequences. Again, that is hate, by law. Why must you leftists HATE your opposition???? Literally. The Gays call Gospel believing Christians “the hate community,” etc., etc.. Yet, all of the voices in the New Testament speak to homosexuality as something to leave. Look in the mirror or look around at your political pals for those that truly hate. Supporting and encouraging children growing up without complete families IS hate. And it is leftist feminism through and through. Look at all the Murphy Brown’s supporting Obama. Championing fatherless familes or forcing the child to suffer the consequences of a culture that believes “ANYTHING GOES” is hate. Anytime anyone of you lefties wants to LOOK at the results of the political actions of guys like Kennedy on the Left, you open your eyes. It’s growing old this debate tactic of screaming racism or hate when one of your own commits horror and is opposed for it. You want to rail against George Bush and the Neo-Cons go ahead. They have done some wrong things COMPARED TO “what a Christian should do.” Leftists literally are opposed to Christians. The Christians that live and preach the Biblical witness anyway. You have not one word of support from the Gospel for what Leftists want to do to society or for calling “me” a hater of anyone. That is not love either. We have seen what marxist socialism (and democrat taxation and morality) has done to people. Taxation caused America to be formed by force of war. Yet, as is typical of the liberal/progressive, history is meaningless to totalitarians. It is love to fight against evil. It is evil to support evil. I wish Mr. Kennedy a long life so maybe, just maybe, “he will see the light.” Ever wonder where that expression came from? It came from the Christian opposing Saul, becoming that decent and loving Paul. Paul does not support what Mr. Kennedy supports. Heck. Mr Kennedy doesn’t even follow the Pope. You can see this in “actions.” Actions are called deeds in the biblical witness. Also social “behaviors” bear witness to the Christian life. Mr. Kuo is a big – college educated – boy and knew exactly what would happen in this blog. If I’m a racist for opposing the dishonesty and evil that leftists champion under the lie of civli rights, so is every Apostle all the way back to The Teacher of the Apostles. Is this hate: ” “Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to sin! Such things must come, but woe to the man through whom they come!” AND: “If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.” Hmmm, “pagan” or “tax collector.” I wonder who that could define. Or those words of hate too? D.

Brian Horan

posted May 21, 2008 at 9:38 am

donny (aka Apology doesn’t always mean “I’m sorry.”),
So if we eliminate homosexuality and taxes all will be well in the USA?
You seem to communicate a version of Christianity in which these are the only two deadly sins.
What about schools that are underfunded? Dude, I’ve been an urban teacher and seen a lot of societal neglect. Why isn’t that on your list of sins?
The apostle Paul sates in no uncertain terms that “The righteous will live by faith (that’s Old Testament too man).” The apostle Paul also said that he kept the old law better than anybody to no end. Note in 1 Corinthians 13 that without love we are nuthin’.
Your gospel seems much different than the biblical one with which I’m well acquainted.
Yeah,
According to the history with which I’m familiar, Ted Kennedy probably could’ve prevented a drowning by layin’ off the monkey business. He needs our prayers right now dude; not our condemnation.

Brian Horan

posted May 21, 2008 at 9:48 am

And finally donny,
Just so you know, I’m no fan of ‘Teddy the Senator’ myself. Since he helped co-sponsor “NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND”, it’s been applied in ways that screwed up my teaching career more times than I care to remember.
Just lay off already!

canucklehead

posted May 21, 2008 at 11:16 am

Donny – I think your mistake is that you see people thru their ideology. I suggest that, on the other hand, Jesus saw people despite their ideology, just as I’m trying to extend that to you which, I’ll be the first to admit, isn’t easy.
Brian – raining today in Calgary but we had a gorgeous weekend; but who cares about the weather, oil is up over $130 barrel so all is right w/ the world, is it not? Yeah, except for the fact that they’re taking it out of our backyard and we’re paying more than $5/gal (U.S.) at the pumps.
Not to complain, however…we could be in China or Myanmar.

hootie1fan

posted May 21, 2008 at 11:36 am

Pro-life is not defined by “LIFE BEGINS AT CONCEPTION AND ENDS AT BIRTH”

Blue Moon

posted May 21, 2008 at 3:57 pm

And sin is not defined as “The things I don’t do that the people I don’t like do.”

Brian Horan

posted May 21, 2008 at 4:12 pm

canucklehead & the rest of the lovely Kuo community,
From what I read, we drink a lot of Saudi oil here in the States. As a society, we’re pretty thirsty.
We get a major fix from the country that sent most of the 911 hijackers here. Good thing we’re on the ball in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Right now I think the good folks that govern the God fearing country are categorizing OPEC as ‘Oh crap’. Our dear leader, Kim Jong Bush, has been to see his father’s royal friends across the oceans to no avail.
I just dunno. I guess they say the polar ice caps are melting and I’ve seen the photos to prove it (semi-serious). I do think the climate is changing in the Denver, Colorado area. Even in Nebraska, where I did my undergrad, the farm boys that listened to Rush Limbaugh in the 90s concede that the first snowfalls come months later than they used to on average.
Could be a cyclical trend. Maybe not.
Wonder if there’s a mass exodus from the States because of something like climate change, if the gringos here will face the same attitude they been throwin’ towards Latinos that come up our Southern border? *Keep in mind their are nice caucasians/anglos/Western European descendents here in the good ole US of A.
Guess I’m not on task with the Kennedy posting.
canucklehead, I gotta tell you it’s nice to see JFKennedy’s/LBJ’s civil rights agenda bear fruit. Ted Kennedy’s been witness to his family and party legacy in Barak Obama.
I like Obama and understand he’s just a human. Truth told, I think Nader should be president (I’m gonna compromise and vote for Obama). I really wish Obama was pushin for single payer health care. Our delivery is getting to be on par with some Latin American countries.
I don’t remember what USA media you get there in Calgary from my stay in Banff. It’s kinda sad to see the media giving free passes to Mike Huckabee (made a real whopper at an NRA rally), Bill O’Reilly (said Mrs. Obama could face Southern traditions not mentionable on a decent post), John Hagee (thinks Catholics follow the anti-Christ), Rod Parsley (preaches that “(Christians) we get off on war!”) when they butchered Barak for Mr. Wright/Wrong.
But, something’s happening. When I volunteered for team Obama in Denver all the BS about blacks vs. latino didn’t play out. Obama even won Texas as far as delegates go (They got a 2-step primary-caucus dance down there).

canucklehead

posted May 21, 2008 at 4:34 pm

The only USA media we get in Calgary are ABC, CBS, CNN, CNN Headline, Fox, MSNBC, NBC, PBS, ESPN 1-12, Spike, Nickelodeon, A&E, History Channel, Playboy, Hustler, Muscler, Old Movie Channel, New Movie Channel, Lousy Movie Channel. These are all via cable but I don’t know anyone who doesn’t have cable unless they enjoy watching “The Black Wolves of the Arctic Forest” re-runs on CBC.
About the only major US Network we don’t get is Fox News which makes some of the conservatives cranky but isn’t otherwise missed.
These all have to compete with CBC, CTV, Global and Bif’s Bible Buffet or what is otherwise derisively known in the industry as “Can-Con” for “Canadian Content.”
Mercifully, we don’t get TBN or CBN but I’m able to feed my John Hagee addiction via something called Vision TV up here.

Trudy Schuett

posted May 21, 2008 at 11:29 pm

I don’t necessarily agree with Ted Kennedy’s politics, but what I do know, as someone who remembers his brother’s presidency, is that this man has had a tough row to hoe.
He’s in my prayers.

azulsea

posted May 22, 2008 at 1:12 am

I’ve always been a huge Kennedy fan. He fights for all of us everyday. I am also a Barack fan-I think he’ll fight for us too. Kennedy now needs to fight for his life, but each person’s experience is different. I just saw Elizabeth Edwards on Larry King. Elizabeth mentioned someone with Kennedy’s tumor lived for 13 years. Elizabeth Edwards looks and sounds wonderful. She said we shouldn’t talk about someone dying with cancer, talk about them living with cancer.
David Kuo, thanks for your blog. It puts things in perspective. I’ll keep you and your family in my prayers also.

A two edge swords cuts many ways.

posted May 22, 2008 at 8:58 am

“Test all things, and hold firmly onto the truth.” That’s all I do. It’s an apostolic and scientific thing. I do apologize for trampling the emotions of those that see something of value in this man’s political life and ideology. Kennedy will face his first day in eternity without me being his Judge. I don’t no the man but I know the actions and reactions of his works. No Section-Eight housing in his neighborhood. hootiefan1, to pro-choice people life ends before birth, and actually even during birth, I’m holding to the position I have on Kennedy and his “ilk” and their stand on abortion for convenience. I have nothing I can add about this man of any consolation to his admirers, other than he deserves life (and, oddly, was allowed it since conception) and will get the best of care from the status he was born into and the government job he has held on to over and over again from the voters in “Massachusetts.” Brian, I find it odd that leftists, like Kennedy, think love means “anything goes” in literally, the way that they do. Jesus never taught that and neither did any of the Apostles or disciples. I wish Kennedy the same things that any of the Apostles would. In respect to many of the people here, I will no longer comment about Kennedy on David’s blog.

Paul of Potomac

posted May 22, 2008 at 9:27 am

David,
Thank you for your comments and blog. I am reminded of 2 Cor.1:3-7 which talks about comforting others as we have been comforted by God. In my professional life as a physician, and in my personal life, I have seen that those who personally go through disease or tragedy, and make it through those experiences, are the people who are best able to comfort others with similar problems. They have an immediate credibility by their previous selection to the fellowship of sufferers.
I have seen (and marvel) how a widow in my church reaches out to new widows. There is an immediate connection, understanding, and acceptance that she shares with them. May I suggest that you write Ted Kennedy sometime? It is helpful for him to know that each diagnosis is personal and unpredictable. Hope also springs eternal.

Brian Horan

posted May 22, 2008 at 11:03 am

“A two edge swords cuts many ways” aka donny,
I have posted several times Donny on my own profile and Thinker’s challenges to you that you can look at point by point. I have stated in no uncertain terms that I’m not into moral relativism.
I’ll say it again just like the Apostle Paul: “We love because we were loved first by God.” If you want to preach morality before love, you’re putting the cart before the horse. We’ve had the written law since before Jesus and it hasn’t made the world any better.
Like Doug, I don’t take that as a means to redact Scripture. The only qualm I have about Scripture is that the Gospel of Thomas was left out by the Roman political authorities when the Bible was canonized.
Try reading the Gospel of Thomas donny. Paul who predated the Roman political councils by some 500 years urges us to test the Spirits and hold fast to anything that proclaims Christ. And Paul says we have freedom in Christ and can be bold.
Martin Luther, father of the Reformation, thought that Revalations didn’t belong in the canon. Do you question his fruit, even after all he endured?
I think true devotion to God comes out of a response to unconditional love. God meets people wherever there at. If you think that certain political stripes are required or that a morality that mirrors your own tit for tat you are putting conditions on unconditional love. In my mind, you are following another gospel.
I don’t think you’re going to hell. I just think that you project your own insecurities (which is the action of a soul in torment) onto others and leave people with erroneous notions about the nature of God’s unconditional love.
Paul proclaims just as the Old Testament does: “The righteous will live by faith.” In 1 Corinthians 13 Paul states too that we only see things in part (i.e., we don’t see the whole). You and I, see reality from different parts. So do all the Christian denominations as well as other world religions. All anyone can do is try their best from their station in this life, and the only way to do that is on faith.
I think that’s where most of the Kuo community stands. Maybe if you could muster up some faith in your brothers and sisters in Christ you could enjoy the light yolk that Jesus describes.
It can’t be fun or healthy chronically bitching about how Kuo community members or politicians like Kennedy don’t uphold the written law. Nobody does donny, not even you. Drop the stones; receive some love; give some love; and see the real radical moral fruits be born out of a light yolk.
Blessed be!

Linda Sue

posted May 22, 2008 at 1:10 pm

I didn’t even read the other comments – really don’t have room in my life or heart for people who don’t believe public figures are actually human beings. Whether you agree, disagree or think they are wretches – they are created beings,in the image of God and He alone will judge. I saw/met Senator Kennedy once many years ago – whatever else has happened in his life I know his family loves him and he is passionate about his causes. Whether I agree with him or not is irrelevant – David Kuo thank you for posting about your journey living with brain cancer and I hope Senator Kennedy can have similar results. He probably does need to eat more lemon meringue pie – nobody can question it’s medicinal value!

Paul Shiras

posted May 22, 2008 at 3:05 pm

I have never been a fan of Ted Kennedy but I wish him well. I too am a cancer survivor (not brain cancer thought) and know how fear full it can be. The thought that held me together is that even in or sorrow and grief (or fear) we should give God the Glory and thank Him.
It would be wise if Sen. Kennedy stepped down from the Senate and concentrated on his health. I have yet met anyone who didn’t suffer from cancer treatment as much as they suffered from the cancer it self. Sometimes the cure seemed worse than the disease.
In any case, God speed and full recovery for Sen. Ted Kennedy

Brian Horan

posted May 23, 2008 at 1:37 am

USA to canucklehead and Kuo-com family:
Anybody see LAST COMIC STANDING on NBC tonight. They had a duo called ‘God’s Pottery’. Was the funniest darn thing I seen in years. Could be on Youtube. I pray so.

canucklehead

posted May 23, 2008 at 2:35 am

Sorry, Brian, missed it, but will look for it. Am looking for a good intro to my sermon this Sunday.

The New Testament is conservative.

posted May 23, 2008 at 10:41 am

Brian, “cause and effect” are not just scientific observations, they are also used by the writers of the New Testament “canon.” I don’t see “love” in promoting sin and corruption. And Jesus threatens people that cause others to sin. That is a conditions set on behaviors. “By their fruits’ you will know them.” That is also a condition. That is a quote from Jesus too. From the Gospels to Jude (I rarely quote Revelation, but it too does not think highly of liberal and progressive cause and effect) we see the writers battling FOR the Church. “In love,” they combat liars and deceivers. False teachers that secretly introduce destructive teachings.” This isn’t paranoid delusion it is stark reality. Now we have suppusedly “Christian” Churches marrying men to men and “Christians” claiming Jesus was not resurrected but eaten by dogs. Etc., etc., etc.. It is NOT love to hand a heroin addcit a clean needle. I know the pure hate of that. I buried my son who overdosed (and died) on “legal” drugs. I hold the opinions I do about Liberal and Progressive “ideology” because they are anti-Christ. I am only doing the same loving thing as did the writers of the New Testament record by “contending for the faith. Don’t confuse that with fear or ignorance. I study current and past events through the same lens. Biblical truth does not change because of cell phones and condoms. It would have made far more converts and money “for the Church,” had they gone the route of the Liberals and Progessives and the “anything goes” of that fruits. Look at how many people flock to Hollywood and Holland. Love has conditions, or it is not love at all. Marriage has conditions. Jesus had conditions on His ministry. Behaviors have conditions. Conditions are why the New testament was written. A mother does not “love” her kids by feeding them candy every day in place of a sound meal “when she knows” the truth about candy versus good food. Knowledge has conditions. The New Testament was written to combat false teachings and false teachers. And it is still doing that job today. In fact eerily so. All I do is apply it the way the writers wrote it. Take Martin Luther for example, where, does he find the Gospel and Apostolic support for wanting to burn down the Synagouges of anti-Christian Jews? No where Brian. Why? Because of the CONDITIONS of love laid out IN the New Testament. Jesus forgave anti-Christ Jews. That’s it, they’re forgiven. We are to love our enemies!!! That does not mean supporting them in what they do and want to encourage others to do, but it certainly means not to harm them. There is no supporting words for progressive and liberal ideology and theology IN the New Testament because they violate the “conditions” set down for the Christian community addressed in the New Testament. (Yes canucklehead, I do judge people BY their ideology and of course their theolgy. Hello? So do the writers of New Testament truth. Ideology and fruit go together. Please notice I’ve said nothing about Mr. Kennedy.) The most serious problem with being congenial to a liberal or progressive (like the Apostles to the Roman pagans) is that when you “agree” with them on anything, they think you support all of their abominations too. (If a person doesn’t violate the Apostolic witness of the New Testament, my opinions are harmless.) I support and encourage no one to do as liberals and progressives do, or any false teacher for that matter. I have done (and still do) things that are sinful – as YOU have pointed out accurately – but I do not encourage others to sin and I examine myself daily as is the advice given Christians by the Apostles. I becoming angry at liberals and progressives and I know I shouldn’t. I don’t like bullies and perpetrators and have always fought against them even in secular life. And liberal and progressive ideology and theology does as a bully does. And especially what liberal and progressive ideology and theology does to children. “For the record.” If we can see through the lens of Apostolic truth then we are both fine. The New Testament is not really hard to understand. It only gets so when altering it is the goal.

Brian Horan

posted May 23, 2008 at 12:10 pm

As the neo-conservative Bush & the conservative GOP rightly put it:
“As if we could convince them with ingenious arguments.”
It’s alright donny. I’ll find a way to go on.
As old-school-hip-hopper Heavy D says:
“I got nuthin’ but love for you.”
Just don’t be tazin’ bro.
Still waiting for Kuo to profile ya! Canucklehead chickened out and didn’t put in a pic with Speedos. Niether did I.
What does donny look like? Hmmmm… The man, the myth, the legend, conservative extraordinaire: donny aka The New Testament is conservative .
Really man, I’m not just jerkin’ yer chain.
Blessed be!

Brian Horan

posted May 23, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Defending donny,
Man, I appreciate you sharing some of the details of your life. I gave your post a second glance and came across the following: “I buried my son who overdosed (and died) on “legal” drugs.”
I want to express my respect. That explains your passion for behavior that edifies and turns us into a likeness of Jesus.
Being separated from a loved one via whatever barrier: death, misunderstanding, lack of trust/faith, etc., is awful. Because of separation I have my own passions and preferences for gospel principles.
I have been angry about causes donny and have been heavy handed. I still have a huge chip on my shoulder. It’s what contributes to my sin. I struggle with pride.
Pride for me is insidious. My awareness of pride leads me to continually doubt myself. And I’ve come to the conclusion that doubt is okay. Although, doubt allows for a lot of terrifying perspectives.
I respect your right to abstain from entertaining the vertigo of possibilities. And I’ll say that I don’t know exactly what’s true except for love. Maybe the folks who canonized the Bible got it right. It just hasn’t been my experience.
Bono of U2 says something like… whether we’re coming or going on the see-saw of this life experience, God is the central pivot point. I guess I feel that God brings balance and glues things together. Love is what I see balancing and sticking. Love and God for me are synonymous.
My love is the most difficult for me to give and receive. And I know my love isn’t perfect. I guess it’s all I really got though.
I must say that it works miracles, even when imperfectly expressed.
My Christian practice entails loving others how I’d wanna be loved. Sometimes that means offering intoxicants like alcohol to another that needs to abstain. That abstention might be consciously edifying that person.
I take Jesus completely literal, every jot and tittle, in his proclamation that we must love our neighbors as ourselves; and love the Lord our God with all our heart (GOD: all the mystery and doubt that God is to such limited rational minds). In love he proclaims, in no uncertain terms, that we follow the whole law.
I fail that law most of the time; BUT, I’m stickin’ with it, come hell or high-water. It’s my practice and I got a lot of practicing to do.
I’m am so easily overcome with guilt, doubt, pride, etc. that I put up barriers even around family members with whom I occupy intimate space. My focus is on loving them with an open mind, open ears, and most importantly an open heart. I screw it up daily.
I bet you have a handle on a lot of things I don’t.
Blessed be donny!

Donny

posted May 24, 2008 at 12:02 am

Brian, “Blessed be” is rather a wiccan-ish saying. I’m a Christian. Though I have some admiration for some parts of wicca, the sign off “Blessed be” I would have to not validate, with all due respect. I fail being loving more than any other thing I fail at. I take the Gospel very seriously and do meditate on my “apologia” very often. Jesus is the authentic God of the universe being quoted. It tears a hole in me just as much as fills the void. One thing I’d like you to do, read the Humanist Manifesto and the beliefs of Humanists, and tell me who it sounds like, liberals and progressives, or conservatives. The New Testament was literally written to combat false teachings entering the Church body. There is no doubt about that. When one has a false Christ, one has no hope except to be rescued or to be “snatched from the fire,” as Jude puts it. There is no love in offering or representing a false Christ to someone else or onesself. I’m not saying you are doing that, but there are “conditions” as to what is and what isn’t the truth about “the faith delivered only once to the saints.” All that for another day . . . until then, keep loving your children and your brothers and sisters in the Lord.
In Christ.
D.

canucklehead

posted May 27, 2008 at 9:58 pm

hope we’re all praying for David!

Nancy Scott

posted May 29, 2008 at 9:55 am

You may have already heard of this book, but this morning as I was serfing for info on food allergy I came across this woman’s blog and the Holy Spirit put you on my heart. Here’s the link:
Our Father in Heaven redeems even the seemingly worst of experiences…Dance when you can…laugh when you can’t…Know you are loved by the Father when He puts you on the heart of a stranger!

*Loreli*

posted June 2, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Dear David,
You are missed.
Love, The Internet

aquaman

posted June 3, 2008 at 5:19 pm

David, we miss you. Prayers continue.

Susie

posted June 4, 2008 at 3:34 pm

Where is David?

Thinker

posted June 4, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Hey David, – would love to hear your thoughts on the last week in politics. And….. 6 nuns from the order that I am associated with just left to start a pediatric clinic in Uganda. One is an advanced practice pediatric nurse.. Sometimes prayers come to fruition in tiny ways.

Doug

posted June 5, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Just a note to go with those above. I hope all is well.

Rabbi Brian

posted June 5, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Be well, my friend…

Pete Ahlstrom

posted June 7, 2008 at 10:46 am

David, we join the others who’ve expressed concern for you. All four of us hope you’re just bass fishing with your family in some remote mountain lake where there’s no Internet access. But wherever, be in God’s hands.
Pete Ahlstrom and family.

Pete Ahlstrom

posted June 7, 2008 at 11:03 am

Sorry to have sent that last message twice. Am really not (usually) that much of a klutz. I sent it the first time, then went back and looked about ten minutes later to make sure it had shown up. It had not, but was still sitting, evidently unsent, in the “Post a Comment” box. So I just clicked “Post” again. And that time BOTH of them showed up, immediately, but with the time tag on the first one saying ten minutes before. Put it down to the vagaries of computers – but do count it as a double wish for you and your family’s well being.

Donny

posted June 7, 2008 at 5:51 pm

David, come back soon!!!!
I and my wife and kids are praying all is well.

Rob

posted June 9, 2008 at 12:31 am

David, my sincerest best wishes for your health and fullness of life.
I’m a descendant of Jefferson Davis myself (I’m part Black, ironically, and I didn’t realize you were my long-lost cousin). I love sushi and lemon meringue pie, although not at the same meal. And the first time I had cancer was 43 years ago. I won’t say it hasn’t crimped my style. There has been a tremendous dislocation in my life because of my disease (and I’ve had bone and skin cancers, not brain cancer). But I wouldn’t have missed the last 43 years for anything, and I hope about 2045 I’ll feel the same way–and you will too.

Alice

posted June 10, 2008 at 1:43 am

I do not usually comment, but I have been checking back often for any updates. David, you are missed!